• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

Idk about that. I think Nosek will carve out a really nice niche for himself at the NHL level. 

Maybe.

How does that work anyways, if Vegas did waive him? Do the 7 teams below the Wings in the standings from last season get a shot at him first, or does he come right back to Detroit? He wasn't waived from Detroit, so I would think it would be from Colorado on up that can claim him? Or was the exposure system same as a waiver? Confusing somewhat....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My interpretation is that he would be subject to the normal waiver procedure. If he is sent to the AHL by Vegas, claimed by Colorado on waivers, and subsequently sent down again by Colorado he would go back to Vegas at the AHL level as Frk did for us. 

Edited by BringBack19

On 7/18/2017 at 9:34 AM, Euro_Twins said:

ovie is 5 years older. So it would be a good trade. I'm certain they would have some kind of deal in place about signing with the caps 

It's more plausible if we're assuming there's a deal in place. But then, if Ovie's age is a reason why the Caps would want to make that trade, wouldn't Ovie's age also be a reason why the Isles would be reluctant to make that trade? Not to mention the fact that Ovie is a winger and Tavares is a centerman. Ovie remains a top talent, but he's a declining winger -- and even in his prime, he was never able to power his team past the second round of the playoffs. I imagine the Isles would want a centerman or a defenseman. (...Kuznetsov?) As far as I can tell, no centerman in the Isles' system is capable of adequately replacing Tavares right now or in the near future.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:11 PM, DickieDunn said:

If trading for Tavares puts a team over the top and they win the Cup, it'll be worth overpaying for him even if he walks.

Well, sure. But how much are you, as a GM, willing to overpay? Late first-round picks and promising-but-unproven prospects are one thing. Johnson + Palat? To me, that's quite another thing.

John Tavares seems mostly ranked top 7, let's say top 10 of centers currently playing in the NHL. To me there really isn't a pricetag on those. You offer what you can, if you have the cap space.

I don't believe it is justifiable to compare any trade returns for him unless it is a straight swap for someone of his caliber, be it Ovechkin or whomever of the same stature. I don't see two good role players justifying a trade for him. If the seller has leverage and some brains he/she most likely will not undergo such matters.

Which leads to a possible UFA scenario of Tavares.

This reminds me of the Kevin Durant history last year (NBA). Which means, if Tavares is not signed this summer boils down to what good old Johnny wants - the maximum cash or go to a contender. Looking at the Islanders, besides their 4th line which is masterful, gives much to desire.

I am Guessing Tavares will not sign an extension with the Islanders. And he will not sign with Detroit either, unfortunately. I don't predict any further on the matter though.

12 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Tavares is a guy who can drive a team.  That's invaluable.  Unless the price is a younger stud like McDavid, you pay what it takes.

I'm not denying Tavares is an elite player. I'm saying, as a general rule, you don't trade key pieces of your contending roster for a rental unless you're damn sure that player is going to sign with you (and even then, I'm not sure). If Yzerman trades Johnson + Palat for Tavares without a deal in place that will keep Tavares in Tampa beyond 2018, the Bolts likely end up without all three of Johnson, Palat, Tavares at this time next year. And there's no guarantee that Tavares would bring them the Cup in 2018. Hell, there's no guarantee that they don't have another season like the one they just had, injuries knocking them down so hard that they don't even qualify for the playoffs. (A lot of pre-season predictions had the Bolts winning the East.)

....and Owen Tippet signs his ELC. With only 10 forwards signed, he will make the team and I am betting ROY.

OWEN TIPPETT

Florida PanthersFlorida Panthers

Right wing
Cap Hit: $925,000
Accumulated Daily Cap Hit: q.svg : $0
Remaining Daily Cap Hit: q.svg : $0

CURRENT CONTRACT
ENTRY-LEVEL CONTRACT

LENGTH: 3 YEARS
EXPIRY STATUS: RFA
SIGNING TEAM: Florida Panthers
VALUE: $4,975,000
C.H.% q.svg: 1.23
SIGNING DATE: July 19, 2017
SOURCE: CapFriendly
SEASON CLAUSE CAP HIT q2.svg AAV q2.svg P. BONUSES q2.svg S. BONUSES q2.svg BASE SALARY q2.svg TOTAL SALARY q2.svg MINORS SALARY q2.svg
2017-18   $925,000 $1,658,333 $500,000 $92,500 $832,500 $925,000 $70,000
2018-19   $925,000 $1,658,333 $850,000 $92,500 $832,500 $925,000 $70,000
2019-20   $925,000 $1,658,333 $850,000 $92,500 $832,500 $925,000 $70,000
Edited by LeftWinger

Daley will wear #83, Witkowski will wear #28 and Sproul switches from #48 to #62 (Not that it matters for Sproul being healthy scratched every game....)

Ya, Sproul may as well wear #90 the way he's scratched. But yay, Daley!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF Tippett makes the team, I think he will be in the running for the Calder, may even lead all rookies in goals, but I doubt he wins it. I can see one of Hischier or Patrick winning it over him. I would have rathered Tippett over Rasmussen as well, but I'm hoping Big Ras turns out to be the better player. We only have to wait 3-5 years to find out...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

IF Tippett makes the team, I think he will be in the running for the Calder, may even lead all rookies in goals, but I doubt he wins it. I can see one of Hischier or Patrick winning it over him. I would have rathered Tippett over Rasmussen as well, but I'm hoping Big Ras turns out to be the better player. We only have to wait 3-5 years to find out...

Is Ras coming to training camp, or can he not because he's playing college hockey?

25 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Is Ras coming to training camp, or can he not because he's playing college hockey?

I think Ras plays in the WHL. I would assume he'd be at camp especially since they didn't get to see much of him at dev camp because of his wrist injury. Either way my guess I he has 1 year of jrs and 1 year of AHL before he's ready to make the jump. Who knows tho.

Rass and Tippetts production in the minors are not much different , for all the hype of Tippett being the sniper he only has 7 more goals than Rass . If you look at it in the bigger picture, we are all raving about trying to get little Svech in next year's draft, yet we have just drafted the leading goalscorer in his league in Adams, who at 6'5" and a RH shot to is a very intriguing prospect. Maybe we could have a very potent huge scoring line within a couple of years, Mantha 6'5" Rass 6'6" Adams 6'5" we've been crying out for size for years, slowly we could be starting to see it happen, just need a couple McCarty type guys for that 4th line.

15 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

for all the hype of Tippett being the sniper he only has 7 more goals than Rass . If you look at it in the bigger picture

In a bigger picture, Tippett was playing with McLeod, who was playing with Alex Nylander  in 15/16 season and Nylander finished first in points for Steelheads. Coincidence? You need the full investigation and real scouting report for Tippett and I believe Wings stuff fully considered. (but I´m not saying Ras was BPA and that Ras is better choice than Tippett). 

I´m not saying these guys are so high only beause of McLeod, but history knows comparable examples, like last year 3rd OA Dubois, who had that tremendous season playing with Svech-Lazarev. I saw couple of their games (observing Svech) and found out that he´s not THAT good actually - I was pretty surprised later then with CBJ pick. 

7 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Rasmussen plays for the Tri-City Americans of the WHL.

6 hours ago, BinMucker94 said:

I think Ras plays in the WHL. I would assume he'd be at camp especially since they didn't get to see much of him at dev camp because of his wrist injury. Either way my guess I he has 1 year of jrs and 1 year of AHL before he's ready to make the jump. Who knows tho.

This.

1 hour ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Rass and Tippetts production in the minors are not much different , for all the hype of Tippett being the sniper he only has 7 more goals than Rass . If you look at it in the bigger picture, we are all raving about trying to get little Svech in next year's draft, yet we have just drafted the leading goalscorer in his league in Adams, who at 6'5" and a RH shot to is a very intriguing prospect. Maybe we could have a very potent huge scoring line within a couple of years, Mantha 6'5" Rass 6'6" Adams 6'5" we've been crying out for size for years, slowly we could be starting to see it happen, just need a couple McCarty type guys for that 4th line.

Svechnikov and Adams both put up great numbers in college last season, but that's where the comparison ends between the two. One was drafted 2 years after he was eligible, in his last year of eligibility, an off the board 6th rounder, while the other is over 3 years younger, put up spectacular numbers as a 16/17 rookie in college, and is expected to go 1 or 2 overall in what's expected to be a great draft class. To expect Adams to become an NHLer some day is one thing, maybe he becomes a decent bottom 6 guy, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to think he could become anything close to a top line winger, playing alongside Mantha and Rasmussen...

1 hour ago, Juklitz said:

In a bigger picture, Tippett was playing with McLeod, who was playing with Alex Nylander  in 15/16 season and Nylander finished first in points for Steelheads. Coincidence? You need the full investigation and real scouting report for Tippett and I believe Wings stuff fully considered. (but I´m not saying Ras was BPA and that Ras is better choice than Tippett). 

I´m not saying these guys are so high only beause of McLeod, but history knows comparable examples, like last year 3rd OA Dubois, who had that tremendous season playing with Svech-Lazarev. I saw couple of their games (observing Svech) and found out that he´s not THAT good actually - I was pretty surprised later then with CBJ pick. 

I really wanted McLeod in last year's draft. Maybe we could send Tatar or Nyquist to New Jersey in a trade that brings McLeod here...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Rasmussen plays for the Tri-City Americans of the WHL.

This.

Svechnikov and Adams both put up great numbers in college last season, but that's where the comparison ends between the two. One was drafted 2 years after he was eligible, in his last year of eligibility, an off the board 6th rounder, while the other is over 3 years younger, put up spectacular numbers as a 16/17 rookie in college, and is expected to go 1 or 2 overall in what's expected to be a great draft class. To expect Adams to become an NHLer some day is one thing, maybe he becomes a decent bottom 6 guy, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to think he could become anything close to a top line winger, playing alongside Mantha and Rasmussen...

I really wanted McLeod in last year's draft. Maybe we could send Tatar or Nyquist to New Jersey in a trade that brings McLeod here...

My point was that a lot of people tend to look at just stats and judge players on that theory, which means Adams could be a steal. I honestly feel that overall Rasmussen will be a great player for us down the line. 

45 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

My point was that a lot of people tend to look at just stats and judge players on that theory, which means Adams could be a steal. I honestly feel that overall Rasmussen will be a great player for us down the line. 

I'm confused. Aren't you doing just that with Adams? Looking at his great stats in college and massive size and assuming he could develop into a top line winger? I think Adams could be a steal too. Not many 6th rounders become NHLers, and I think he could develop into a decent bottom 6 guy, if we're lucky. I just think it's a tad unrealistic to think he could become a top 6 forward. Sure, he could (I hope he does), but that's very unlikely.

I think Rasmussen will be a reliable two-way center. I have my doubts that he'll ever become anything more than a middle 6 center, although I hope he becomes a stud number one in the mold of a Getzlaf...

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Owen Tippett was the most one-dimensional player in the 1st round of the draft. Florida got another Vanek. He'll score some goals, but he won't win games.

TIPPETT AND HAGUE ARE THE NEXT COMING! HOW DARE YOU BESMIRCH THE GOOD NAME OF TIPPETT!!