• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

31 minutes ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

Kind of funny Vanek and AA were my favorite two Wings to watch last year. They could care less about getting AA done quickly and Vanek likely won't be signed.

Your tone makes it sound like you feel the Wings are disrespecting AA, but in reality for a RFA who is not arbitration eligable, this is normal practice. 

On 6/22/2017 at 10:25 PM, kickazz said:

AA played sheltered minutes and this guy calls him the best player. Outstanding. 

Once they knew they where going to miss the playoffs he should have gotten more mins (NOV) no matter his play some nights just to see how he held up playing more elite lines to determine a base of value. I know he got more towards the end. This would have been a easier convo if you threw these young guys in to see how they handled it. Now its what ifs and maybes and who you keep. Just ah maybe he will or wont. If anything they could have increased the value to trade.

5 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Forgive my cap space ignorance, but I honestly doubt there's gonna be anything left to offer Vanek once AA gets signed.

Oh I know, Vanek is a pipe dream and I'm almost certain the way things are shaping up AA will somehow be sent down or traded. Just funny when someone actually does perform they are quickly off the team and I'm stuck watching Abdelkader, Helm and Sheahan all night.

10 minutes ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

Oh I know, Vanek is a pipe dream and I'm almost certain the way things are shaping up AA will somehow be sent down or traded. Just funny when someone actually does perform they are quickly off the team and I'm stuck watching Abdelkader, Helm and Sheahan all night.

No way Athanasiou gets sent down. He's waiver eligible and would have to go through waivers. He would 100% be claimed, and management knows that. Say what you will about the way this team has been managed of late, no chance they do that. He could be traded, but Holland has already said that he's not trading any of the young guys unless it's a "hockey trade", bringing back a player of similar age and quality. If that were to be a 19-22 year old defenseman with a ton of upside, I don't think that would be the worst thing.

f*** you Holland. This is a perfect example of why he has no clue.

The NHL has passed him up. He is horrible at everything. Keep thinking he'll make this cap situation work. He'll either insult AA with a $900K offer or he'll pay him $2M and waive players in hopes they sneak through. This guy is dumber than Homer Simpson. I was right not to trust him with a top 10 pick, I'll never trust him with a #1. He can't make a trade to save his life, so don't hold your breath that he'll even attempt to acquire a top defender. He still believes that E coming back is our fix on D. E should've been gone 2 years ago, Helm should've NEVER been re-signed, Abby shouldn't be above $2.5M, Glenny is a $800K player...ugh, this just pisses me off that he hasn't been fired.

Edited by LeftWinger

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

He'll either insult AA with a $900K offer or he'll pay him $2M and waive players in hopes they sneak through. 

Why are you trying to create a fake conflict between Holland and AA? When it comes to this kid, you have such a ridiculous bias.

49 minutes ago, kliq said:

Why are you trying to create a fake conflict between Holland and AA? When it comes to this kid, you have such a ridiculous bias.

He will be one of our future stars. I find it funny that folks think he's not. It's not like Pulk, he's proven he can score in the NHL. Given top 6 minutes he will score more. If he is involved in a trade, it'll be a trade we'll eventually lose.

31 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He will be one of our future stars. I find it funny that folks think he's not. It's not like Pulk, he's proven he can score in the NHL. Given top 6 minutes he will score more. If he is involved in a trade, it'll be a trade we'll eventually lose.

For the sake of debate, please define "future star"? Do you see him scoring 100 Points? 75 Points? 50 Points? 

For the record, nobody here thinks he is bad, in fact most here like him a lot, myself included. 

Edited by kliq

48 minutes ago, kliq said:

For the sake of debate, please define "future star"? Do you see him scoring 100 Points? 75 Points? 50 Points? 

For the record, nobody here thinks he is bad, in fact most here like him a lot, myself included. 

I love Athanasiou. He has game breaking speed, can create his own opportunities from nothing, and is capable of scoring some highlight reel goals. In saying that, I don't see him ever being a "star" in the NHL. I see him as a good top 6 forward that has the potential to be a 60 point player. I'd obviously prefer to keep AA, but if he can fetch us a top 2 defenseman, I'd definitely pull the trigger.

How do we even make moves now given our cap situation and some of these ridiculous contracts? I went to the arm chair GM tool in cap friendly and it was almost impossible for me to figure out a trade that another team would even look at.

I'd be really curious to hear some thoughts to see what we can do to get out of this gross cap situation that we have ourselves in.

4 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

How do we even make moves now given our cap situation and some of these ridiculous contracts? I went to the arm chair GM tool in cap friendly and it was almost impossible for me to figure out a trade that another team would even look at.

I'd be really curious to hear some thoughts to see what we can do to get out of this gross cap situation that we have ourselves in.

There are a ton of trades that we could make to improve this team. Despite what some people think / say, we do have a lot of quality pieces. Unfortunately though, Holland isn't willing / able to make any trades... Prove me wrong Kenny...

15 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I love Athanasiou. He has game breaking speed, can create his own opportunities from nothing, and is capable of scoring some highlight reel goals. In saying that, I don't see him ever being a "star" in the NHL. I see him as a good top 6 forward that has the potential to be a 60 point player. I'd obviously prefer to keep AA, but if he can fetch us a top 2 defenseman, I'd definitely pull the trigger.

AA  is my favorite player, speed to burn and can finish. He'd be the last thing outside of Mantha I would trade. I'd be cool trading him if I thought Holland had a clue and could actually acquire a top Defenseman. Holland is the last guy I want trading for our future defense. I don't understand why we need derogatory public statements about Mantha a year ago and the mitigation of minutes to our future stars to fit a narrative that young talent must earn their spot. I'm just done with this leadership or lack thereof.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

100% agree

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

70-90 points given top minutes.

90 Point ceiling? Based on this year, that would put him under only McDavid. So you think he has Hart/Art Ross upside. I hope I am wrong, and you are right as nothing would make me happier, but to quote @DickieDunn you need to take off the rose coloured glasses.

1 hour ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

AA  is my favorite player, speed to burn and can finish. He'd be the last thing outside of Mantha I would trade. I'd be cool trading him if I thought Holland had a clue and could actually acquire a top Defenseman. Holland is the last guy I want trading for our future defense. I don't understand why we need derogatory public statements about Mantha a year ago and the mitigation of minutes to our future stars to fit a narrative that young talent must earn their spot. I'm just done with this leadership or lack thereof.

If you want to criticize Holland for overvaluing vets, 100% hear you. If you want to criticize him for a lack of trades, 100% hear you.

But two things I don't think you can fault Holland for, are being on the losing side of trades and trading away future stars for bad players, and the other is treating his players poorly. The Mantha comments were JD not Holland, and lets not forget JD is the same guy that during the lockout equated the players to sheep who need to get in line.

Edited by kliq

11 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Arvidsson at 4.25 mil per for 7 seasons.  Wow.  Tatar got his deal just in time.  Poile is looking like a hell of a GM right now.  

I strongly believe Poile is one of, if not the best GM in the league and has been for quite some time. He has made some of the best trades in recent years, great at drafting, great at negotiating contracts. Nashville should be in great shape under him for a long time.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

There are a ton of trades that we could make to improve this team. Despite what some people think / say, we do have a lot of quality pieces. Unfortunately though, Holland isn't willing / able to make any trades... Prove me wrong Kenny...

Can you give me an example?

Put yourself in the shoes of another GM in the league and let me know what you think a team would want to do because I'm honestly struggling to find something that works.

I agree with the assessment of Poile. He's made some great moves over the past few years.

1 hour ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

Can you give me an example?

Put yourself in the shoes of another GM in the league and let me know what you think a team would want to do because I'm honestly struggling to find something that works.

I agree with the assessment of Poile. He's made some great moves over the past few years.

I'm not sure about specific trade examples, but some of the players we have that other teams would likely be interested in would be, Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Svechnikov, etc. I'd be willing to trade any of those players, except Larkin or Mantha (unless it was a steal on our end), if it was for a young potential top pair defenseman. There are quite a few teams that are looking for added scoring up front, and some of those teams have an overload of defensemen / defense prospects. I'm sure if Holland wanted to bad enough, he could find a trading partner and make a trade that would improve this team. I just think Holland truly does "like this team"...

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not sure about specific trade examples, but some of the players we have that other teams would likely be interested in would be, Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Svechnikov, etc. I'd be willing to trade any of those players, except Larkin or Mantha (unless it was a steal on our end), if it was for a young potential top pair defenseman. There are quite a few teams that are looking for added scoring up front, and some of those teams have an overload of defensemen / defense prospects. I'm sure if Holland wanted to bad enough, he could find a trading partner and make a trade that would improve this team. I just think Holland truly does "like this team"...

You've listed the guys that I'm sure other GMs would want, however, the majority of the guys that you listed are the few guys that I'd never want to trade and are exactly the guys that I'd rather build around moving forward.

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I wonder why...

Haha... gee, it might be for the use "retard."  I'm fairly certain if he had typed, "Holland is an idiot and needs to be fired," they would have cared less.  Some people I'll tell you...

18 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

You've listed the guys that I'm sure other GMs would want, however, the majority of the guys that you listed are the few guys that I'd never want to trade and are exactly the guys that I'd rather build around moving forward.

Of those players listed, I'd be willing to trade Nyquist, Tatar, and maybe Athanasiou/Svechnikov.  The latter two I would only trade for a top 2 D or top C.  Nyquist's trade value, right now, isn't great.  Hoping for a bounce-back season.  Tatar's value is probably so-so until he can show he can be more consistent.