• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

You've listed the guys that I'm sure other GMs would want, however, the majority of the guys that you listed are the few guys that I'd never want to trade and are exactly the guys that I'd rather build around moving forward.

You have to give to get, and when you have a strength, as we do on the wing, and a weakness, as we do on defense, the smart thing to do is to trade from an area of strength to fill an area of weakness. As I said, Larkin and Mantha are as close to untouchable, unless we're getting an absolute stud in return, but any and all of Nyquist, Tatar, Athanasiou and Svechnikov, among others, should be shopped to upgrade our defense.

5 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Of those players listed, I'd be willing to trade Nyquist, Tatar, and maybe Athanasiou/Svechnikov.  The latter two I would only trade for a top 2 D or top C.  Nyquist's trade value, right now, isn't great.  Hoping for a bounce-back season.  Tatar's value is probably so-so until he can show he can be more consistent.  

Exactly this.

I wouldn't trade Svechnikov. Not because I am dazzled by his play, rather that he has not shown anything in the NHL except for a few games last season whom did not matter for us.

He did look good in those games, but that does not mean much to any potential buyer. His trade value is nothing more than a good prospect. So we would not be getting too much for him. The rest I'm all for trading for a really nice defensive talent.

Or perhaps pass a Swedish/American defensive bill, allowing Detroit to lawfully recall Lidström for 2 years. I am sure he'd still be able to play in a top 6 role, most likely top 4. He is still in perfect shape, works out daily, both cardio and strength training.

Edited by Jacksoni

4 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

I wouldn't trade Svechnikov. Not because I am dazzled by his play, rather that he has not shown anything in the NHL except for a few games last season whom did not matter for us.

He did look good in those games, but that does not mean much to any potential buyer. His trade value is nothing more than a good prospect. So we would not be getting too much for him. The rest I'm all for trading for a really nice defensive talent.

Or perhaps pass a Swedish/American defensive bill, allowing Detroit to lawfully recall Lidström for 2 years. I am sure he'd still be able to play in a top 6 role, most likely top 4. He is still in perfect shape, works out daily, both cardio and strength training.

The chance of Svechnikov becoming elite are slim to none. He likely develops into a solid top 6 winger. A top 2 defenseman is far more valuable to a team than a 6 (even top line) winger, especially for a team that's biggest strength is on the wing. Nyquist, Tatar, Mantha, Athanasiou and Svechnikov are all / should be legit top 6 wingers. Of course there are other pieces I'd prefer to trade before Svech, but if he could fetch a top 2 defenseman in a package, I'd do it.

16 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Mrazek, Ouellet, Sheahan and 1st 2019 for OEL + his lil bro, 

This would only happen under gunpoint, in which they refuse, Holland shoots the opposition, burns down their villages and brings back OEL as war booty.

Wait we live in the 21st century? Well. Still, it should be the only logical way to get that. Or some sort of extortion but that's even more unlikely.

16 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Of those players listed, I'd be willing to trade Nyquist, Tatar, and maybe Athanasiou/Svechnikov.  The latter two I would only trade for a top 2 D or top C.  Nyquist's trade value, right now, isn't great.  Hoping for a bounce-back season.  Tatar's value is probably so-so until he can show he can be more consistent.  

I mean, you should always consider trading everyone on your roster if the return is right but what would your plan be if you were Holland?

My plan would be to keep a youthful core and try and build around it and try and keep contracts low for now and if you start to see some potential from some of these guys then that gives you the opportunity to go out and target a high end guy to make a difference.

The NHL offseason is in full swing, and so are the league’s general managers. We’ve hit the start of free agency and it’s often hard to keep up with all the moves teams make as the days go by.

The NHL draft already had some stunners. The Blackhawks reunited with Brandon Saad at the cost of Artemi Panarin. The Flyers traded forward Brayden Schenn to St. Louis while Travis Harmonic has moved from the Islanders to the Flames on the second day of the draft.

Free agency had a few deals, with Nashville being the most active. The Predators subtracted forward Colin Wilson and added defenseman Alexei Emelin, while potentially gearing up for a big trade.

37 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

Trying to think who the winners of this offseason so far has been...

Would probably be inclined to go with the Rangers. Shattenkirk contract seems ok and they're a possible contender over those 4 years so I like that deal. Also, getting of Giradi is a good move.

Not Detroit

Alienated the closest thing to a long term solution in goal you have, set yourself up to be over the cap by a couple million unless you dump salary, and made it so you'll probably have to trade said goalie, assuming you find a taker, in order to get cap compliant while relying on an injury prone guy on the back half of his career and a guy who completely crapped the bed in his brief NHL career as your #1 and #2.

STEALTH TANK!!!!!

On 7/24/2017 at 5:00 PM, Jacksoni said:

This would only happen under gunpoint, in which they refuse, Holland shoots the opposition, burns down their villages and brings back OEL as war booty.

Wait we live in the 21st century? Well. Still, it should be the only logical way to get that. Or some sort of extortion but that's even more unlikely.

So there is a chance then? 

57 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

If your trade proposal doesnt start with one of Larkin, Mantha, or Athanasiou, the other team isn't even at the table.  FACT.

I tend to agree with this, unless it littered with 1st rounders.

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

If your trade proposal doesnt start with one of Larkin, Mantha, or Athanasiou, the other team isn't even at the table.  FACT.

2 hours ago, kliq said:

I tend to agree with this, unless it littered with 1st rounders.

I'm assuming we're just talking about Ekman-Larsson level players here? I think Trouba as well as several other high quality defensemen could be had for a package not including any of those three.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm assuming we're just talking about Ekman-Larsson level players here? I think Trouba as well as several other high quality defensemen could be had for a package not including any of those three.

Yes, I'm talking if we want to trade for a young elite level d-man.

15 minutes ago, kliq said:

Yes, I'm talking if we want to trade for a young elite level d-man.

Agreed. But at the same time, not even Larkin, Mantha or Athanasiou would get any defenseman of that caliber.

We need to be looking at potential elite, not established elite. I still wish we went balls to the wall after Trouba last offseason...

Off season moves?

I'm still waiting and hoping for an impactful move.  Everyday I hope to see a trade pop up. I am not happy with this team at the moment. Too much salary, not enough talent. AA still not signed, still not enough cap to give him what he's earned or bring up a 13th forward. Everyone in the organization is insisting that Kronwall will NOT be on LTIR. Neither will Ericsson and Sproul is now skating. I understanf your guys argument for keeping our players and not shedding cap, but I just feel that we'd be better off without a few overpaid guys and bring up some yoots.

But who am I kidding, Holland left Ericsson, Kronwall, Helm, Glenny, Mrazek, Sheahan unprotected and Vegas took Tomas flippin Nosek. I guess I cannot expect a trade when we cannot even give a player away...We're doomed this season, lets hope there's a silver lining in a #1 pick overall and a firesale at the Deadline for more picks....maybe a couple extra 1st's.

Basically if we're out of the playoffs, one of the goalies has to be moved, one of Nyquist/Tatar, Mike Green, and I'd still try my hardest to deal E.

Wouldn't it be great to get a 1st for Green, a 1st for Tatar/Nyquist and a 1st for a Goalie?

BTW, I highly doubt Coreau clears waivers this year, although with only 22 players on the roster after AA is signed, maybe they'll carry 3 goalies for a bit. IF they can get some cap relief.

Edited by LeftWinger

39 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Off season moves?

I'm still waiting and hoping for an impactful move.  Everyday I hope to see a trade pop up. I am not happy with this team at the moment. Too much salary, not enough talent. AA still not signed, still not enough cap to give him what he's earned or bring up a 13th forward. Everyone in the organization is insisting that Kronwall will NOT be on LTIR. Neither will Ericsson and Sproul is now skating. I understanf your guys argument for keeping our players and not shedding cap, but I just feel that we'd be better off without a few overpaid guys and bring up some yoots.

But who am I kidding, Holland left Ericsson, Kronwall, Helm, Glenny, Mrazek, Sheahan unprotected and Vegas took Tomas flippin Nosek. I guess I cannot expect a trade when we cannot even give a player away...We're doomed this season, lets hope there's a silver lining in a #1 pick overall and a firesale at the Deadline for more picks....maybe a couple extra 1st's.

Who has argued that we should keep all of our players and not shed cap? I'm pretty sure every single Red Wings fan can name at least one player on this roster that they would love to ship out to free up cap space. I'd be happy with just moving Ericsson, although in a perfect world, I'd move 3-4 players.

The problem isn't the players or the contracts they are signed to (although it doesn't help), the problem is the GM that still believes these are good players signed to fair contracts. Each and every player on the roster could be traded, but we all know they won't be while Holland is still in charge...

40 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Basically if we're out of the playoffs, one of the goalies has to be moved, one of Nyquist/Tatar, Mike Green, and I'd still try my hardest to deal E.

Wouldn't it be great to get a 1st for Green, a 1st for Tatar/Nyquist and a 1st for a Goalie?

BTW, I highly doubt Coreau clears waivers this year, although with only 22 players on the roster after AA is signed, maybe they'll carry 3 goalies for a bit. IF they can get some cap relief.

I'd be surprised if Coreau were claimed.

I think IF we were to trade Nyquist / Tatar or Howard / Mrazek, it should be a "hockey trade" to upgrade our defense, not for picks at the deadline. But yeah, Green should be shopped at the deadline, and as long as he stays healthy and produces the way he's capable of, he should net us a late 1st minimum.

Personally, I feel like this has been a very successful off-season so far. In fact, im hoping that we dont see any other moves before the start of the season because this roster looks to me to be capable of doing some damage this year! I know that we are in a bit of a cap crunch due to AAs impending contract, but Im confident that Holland has a plan for that and that it wont be an issue. The only other thing I would like to see is for Franzen to get off the LTIR and back into the lineup somehow. That would be the icing on the cake! Lets go Red Wings!!!

1 hour ago, RightWinger said:

Personally, I feel like this has been a very successful off-season so far. In fact, im hoping that we dont see any other moves before the start of the season because this roster looks to me to be capable of doing some damage this year! I know that we are in a bit of a cap crunch due to AAs impending contract, but Im confident that Holland has a plan for that and that it wont be an issue. The only other thing I would like to see is for Franzen to get off the LTIR and back into the lineup somehow. That would be the icing on the cake! Lets go Red Wings!!!

Now we're talkin. 

1 hour ago, RightWinger said:

What are your thoughts on us not drafting Hauge and Tippet?