• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, kliq said:

What are your thoughts on us not drafting Hauge and Tippet? 

To be honest, I dont usually put too much time or effort into thinking about who we might draft. It seems silly to me to get my heart set on drafting one player over the other seeing as how the odds of it working out that way are pretty slim, and Ill probably set myself up for disappointment more often than not. Besides, I think that Detroit's management and scouts are among the best in the world at what they do, so im more than happy rooting for whoever they end up choosing!

However, since you asked, I really havent heard too much about either of those guys. And what little I have heard really doesnt impress me much. I was quite surprised to see Rasmussen drop to us, and if im being honest, I was very excited to hear Holland announce his name. I truly believe that he could end up being the steal of this draft, and I wont be surprised in the least if he ends up challenging for ROY when he is ready to join the big club! But if it had worked out different and we did end up drafting Pippitt or Hogue, I would have welcomed them and cheered them on just the same!

Anyway, thats just how I feel about it. What do you all think? I dont pretend to be some kind of expert or know-it-all or anything, so I would love to hear your thoughts as well! Go Wings!

Edited by RightWinger

14 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ok, here's our opportunity to pick up our potential top defender. Sign this guy and just cut your losses with another defender.

i'm sure we'll take a run at him. i haven't seen any indication on where he might like to sign.. not sure what he's looking for. 

35 minutes ago, amato said:

i'm sure we'll take a run at him. i haven't seen any indication on where he might like to sign.. not sure what he's looking for. 

I just hope Holland does truly take a run at him.  We are in desperate need of high-quality defensemen.  I'm just not sure this kid looks at our team and says, I'll sign with them since we currently have 74 defensemen on the roster. Where does he fit in? (from his view-point)  I know I know, but seriously, we have 9 NHL defensemen and that's not including Russo who remains an RFA.  Something has to give.

10 forwards (signed) plus Athanasiou, so 11 forwards right now.
9 defensemen and no one is waiver exempt
3 goalies and no one is waiver exempt

I would be completely baffled if he is not working out some sort of trade/trades leading up to camp.  I know, it's Ken Holland, but still.  You look at this roster and it's so imbalanced.

1 hour ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I just hope Holland does truly take a run at him.  We are in desperate need of high-quality defensemen.  I'm just not sure this kid looks at our team and says, I'll sign with them since we currently have 74 defensemen on the roster. Where does he fit in? (from his view-point)  I know I know, but seriously, we have 9 NHL defensemen and that's not including Russo who remains an RFA.  Something has to give.

I would be completely baffled if he is not working out some sort of trade/trades leading up to camp.  I know, it's Ken Holland, but still.  You look at this roster and it's so imbalanced.

Agreed something has to give regardless of this kid.. It sounds like Butcher will likely spend a season in the AHL where ever he goes though.. so maybe he looks at our defense as having a lot of openings in the next year or so and some other young d-men to start building some chemistry with in Grand Rapids for a year.... that is, if he agrees with the notion that he'll spend a year in the A.

I think if he's looking at what team defenses will look like a little down the line, opportunity wise, that might give us an okay chance at signing him. Not going to get my hopes up though.

If i had to guess where he'd go, I'd say maybe Chicago based on their roster/salary cap situation.... they lost a few d-men this off season and are right up against the cap.

If he looks at us as a chance to be a top 2 guy, getting all the ice time he wants and eventually getting the money he wants, we should be high on his list. 

I think hecould step right in this season and take a spot from someone. He would be a great compliment to Green. I doubt Kenny will call them though, He does like his team where it's at. Unfortunately for us...

If we could just rid ourselves of Kronwall and Ericsson, their constant injuries, but loyal GM, are leaving us out of many opportunities to upgrade our D. If those two were gone, our D wouldnt be any worse and then we could seriously make a pitch to a player like Butcher. If our GM was agressive, he would, and then cut cap with a buyout or two or waivers or salary retention. Someone would take E for future considerations with retained salary.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He should go to Montreal. They lost Markov, Emelin, Beaulieu, Nesterov, and Barberio. Outside of Weber and Petry their D looks wide-open.

Thought about mentioning them too. And playing in front of Carey Price has got to be appealing for any defenseman. 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:53 PM, LeftWinger said:

Ok, here's our opportunity to pick up our potential top defender. Sign this guy and just cut your losses with another defender.

Am I missing something? There's nothing about this guy that tells me he will ever be a quality NHL defenseman, let alone a "top defender"... Undersized 22 year old, drafted in the 5th round 4 years ago, put up decent, not spectacular numbers in college... Maybe he'll be as good as DeKeyser some day if he's lucky. I'm not saying I'd be upset if we signed him, there's always room for added depth, but I'd personally rather give Russo or Hicketts a shot before this guy.

I agree that Chicago is a likely destination.

18 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Witkowski will likely be our 12th/13th forward, so 8 defensemen and 12 forwards as it sits right now. But yeah, something has to give. We'll have a little over 900K (once Franzen is placed on LTIR) before Athanasiou is signed.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Am I missing something? There's nothing about this guy that tells me he will ever be a quality NHL defenseman, let alone a "top defender"... Undersized 22 year old, drafted in the 5th round 4 years ago, put up decent, not spectacular numbers in college... Maybe he'll be as good as DeKeyser some day if he's lucky. I'm not saying I'd be upset if we signed him, there's always room for added depth, but I'd personally rather give Russo or Hicketts a shot before this guy.

I agree that Chicago is a likely destination.

Witkowski will likely be our 12th/13th forward, so 8 defensemen and 12 forwards as it sits right now. But yeah, something has to give. We'll have a little over 900K (once Franzen is placed on LTIR) before Athanasiou is signed.

Yeah there's a reason he's not getting the hype Vesey did. He's not a must-grab in IMO either. Did win the Hobey though, although I don't think there was a ton of major standouts competing for it this year.

I find it funny that he's been at the U of Denver and is now refusing to sign with Colorado. Can you imagine if the Wings drafted a U of M kid and he didn't want to play for us? Doesn't happen. We're not the model franchise anymore but Colorado is suck.

YAY! I knew Holland wouldn't let me down again!

I love when I predict something and it happens! Not saying that he'll sign here, but out of the blue I just posted the first post saying (hoping really) that Holland make a run at him! Yippee! At least we'll try!

Edited by LeftWinger

Sproul is likely the 7th / 8th defenseman in Detroit and Saarijarvi is likely the 7th / 8th defenseman in Grand Rapids (likely starting in Toledo) at least to start the season. I'd much rather both of those guys getting the ice time than Butcher. This team has a ton of depth on defense, we need to add top pairing quality defensemen, not more bottom 4 quality defensemen. Quality over quantity...

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

There's a bit of a difference between "has interest in" and "will pursue." I think Holland will go hard after him. He's tired of losing out on these young UFA's.

There's actually no difference between the two. There's never been a player Holland has had interest in, that he didn't pursue. He goes hard after every player he has interest in. The only difference is, not every player is going to choose Detroit...

I really hope that management is looking what Nashville is doing and figures out how to build a solid core for many years. Amazing to me that the Predators have Johnasen, Arvidsson, Forsberg, Subban, and Ekholm for the terms they do for as cheap as they do. Amazing job by Poile IMO.

19 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

I really hope that management is looking what Nashville is doing and figures out how to build a solid core for many years. Amazing to me that the Predators have Johnasen, Arvidsson, Forsberg, Subban, and Ekholm for the terms they do for as cheap as they do. Amazing job by Poile IMO.

Took a lot of years of less than mediocre hockey, playoff disappointment, and lost free agents to make a surprising run to the Stanley Cup Finals with no proof of return to get to where they are currently at.  Good for them to finally bring out the check book to extend their current core - but I don't think they are the franchise I'm hoping we model ourselves after.

4 hours ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

They do have great core, but where are you getting this from? Johansen just signed for 8mil x 8, Subban is signed for 9mil x 5, Forsberg 6Mil x 6, Arvidsson 4.25mil x 7, and Ekholm 3.75mil x 5.

I dont think any of these are bad deals, but they are not "cheap" either". What Nashville does well, is it pays it's stars well, then pays the guys on their lower lines pretty much all at 1mil or under. That's what differs them from us, we are paying guys on our 3rd/4th lines anywhere from 600K to 4.25mil.

2 hours ago, kliq said:

They do have great core, but where are you getting this from? Johansen just signed for 8mil x 8, Subban is signed for 9mil x 5, Forsberg 6Mil x 6, Arvidsson 4.25mil x 7, and Ekholm 3.75mil x 5.

I dont think any of these are bad deals, but they are not "cheap" either". What Nashville does well, is it pays it's stars well, then pays the guys on their lower lines pretty much all at 1mil or under. That's what differs them from us, we are paying guys on our 3rd/4th lines anywhere from 600K to 4.25mil.

That's probably why it seems like they're getting off cheap. They don't pay 4th liners $3M-$5M dollars or backup goalies $5M or bottom pair D $4M. Or career 13th forwards $1M-$2M.

That's the issue. We have a higher payroll than all of last year's playoff teams minus Toronto...and we still need two forwards. Time to dump if you ask me...bring up hungry kids who play over their salary, not entitled crap that play 1/8 of their salary. Fire sale!

5 hours ago, kliq said:

... What Nashville does well, is it pays it's stars well, then pays the guys on their lower lines pretty much all at 1mil or under. That's what differs them from us, we are paying guys on our 3rd/4th lines anywhere from 600K to 4.25mil.

That isn't really true. Last season they had Fisher, Smith, Wilson, and Ribiero all at $3.5+ and often playing 3rd line. Ribiero eventually got waived. They had 8 active forwards @ $2M+, averaging $4.136M. We also had 8, averaging $3.951. We spend more on our defense, but that's mostly due to being at different stages. Let's see where they are once Josi and Ellis are in their mid-30s. (I'm guessing it will be starting another rebuild, and most everyone on the current team will be gone.) 

What they have done well is sign several young players to long-term deals that have worked out well so far. Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Jarnkrok, and even Forsberg. Good chance Arvidsson works out that way too. Johansen not so much I think.

And is this Nashville love-fest going to be a thing now? They were a mediocre team that had a good playoff run. Great defense unit, and some good forwards, but hardly anything we should be thinking of as the new model for success.