• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Not every injury qualifies for LTIR

Well aware of this... but I personally don't think Holland will do anything other than wait it out and assume that either one of Kronwall or Ericsson isn't ready to go or there is some other injury in training camp / pre-season to use LTIR... So let me try this one more time... What do YOU think Ken Holland will do to relieve the team of the cap issues? You're so convinced that it won't be fixed through LTIR. So what will happen?

12 hours ago, kliq said:

But is it fair to assume if Kronwall's injury qualified last year, that it would qualify this year?

not if he's as healthy as everyone says

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Well aware of this... but I personally don't think Holland will do anything other than wait it out and assume that either one of Kronwall or Ericsson isn't ready to go or there is some other injury in training camp / pre-season to use LTIR... So let me try this one more time... What do YOU think Ken Holland will do to relieve the team of the cap issues? You're so convinced that it won't be fixed through LTIR. So what will happen?

I think he will do something stupid like trade Mrazek for a bag of pucks right before the season starts because he'll be hoping for some miracle injury and then will be stuck

4 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Not sure who "everybody" is, but from my understanding the guy has chronic knee issues. Likely he has a lot of inflammation, possibly worn cartridge etc. Injuries like this don't "go away" and somewhat gives them the ability to put him on LITR anytime they want.

If you think this is me defending Holland, it's not. This is just me simply saying what I think is going to happen if he has no options.

26 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I think he will do something stupid like trade Mrazek for a bag of pucks right before the season starts because he'll be hoping for some miracle injury and then will be stuck

Well you're right that that would be extremely stupid, but I really don't think it will come down to that.

20 minutes ago, kliq said:

Not sure who "everybody" is, but from my understanding the guy has chronic knee issues. Likely he has a lot of inflammation, possibly worn cartridge etc. Injuries like this don't "go away" and somewhat gives them the ability to put him on LITR anytime they want.

If you think this is me defending Holland, it's not. This is just me simply saying what I think is going to happen if he has no options.

Yeah, I think Kronwall ending up on LTIR is the most likely scenario. Kronwall along with the medical staff would have to deem him unfit to play, and I'm thinking (hoping) they may have hinted that as a possibility to Holland recently.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/08/red_wings_cap_issues_will_be_s.html#incart_river_mobile_index

"General manager Ken Holland said Monday he anticipates being slightly over the $75 million cap if everyone is healthy to start the season. That would force the team to trade or waive a player. But Holland said they will wait to see what unfolds in camp and preseason."

"Niklas Kronwall, who has been plagued by a knee issue he said can't be remedied by surgery, is expected to be ready for the start of training camp on Sept. 15.

"If everybody is healthy when we get to opening day, we'll probably have to make a move," Holland said. "I'm anticipating we'll be over by a little bit.""

23 minutes ago, kliq said:

Have we ever started a year with every single roster player healthy? I feel that based on the law of averages, someone will get hurt.

It's not a smart strategy, but it usually works out that way.

It's a terrible strategy, but it will likely work itself out once again...

On 8/6/2017 at 9:46 PM, F.Michael said:

Any chance Kenny can convince Arizona to take on some additional salary?

If they could take on Nielsen that'd be real naice. It'd give them a good 1C & 2C combo too.

Arizona is not looking for salary, they are looking for cap. So for example, a guy with a salary of 1mil, but a cap hit of 4mil. The only player I could see them taking is Franzen, but that doesn't really help us. Now if they take him for nothing, go for it.

On 8/7/2017 at 0:38 PM, krsmith17 said:

Kronwall along with the medical staff would have to deem him unfit to play, and I'm thinking (hoping) they may have hinted that as a possibility to Holland recently.

Because I'm involved in this field of work, Its going to be hard for me to not get triggered by this.

Dude don't "hope" I'll health or circumstances on others. That's just pathetic...

We should be hoping that Kronwall has a bounce back season like Z did. Trade Ericsson or waive someone useless. 

Edited by kickazz

8 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Because I'm involved in this field of work, Its going to be hard for me to not get triggered by this.

Dude don't "hope" I'll health or circumstances on others. That's just pathetic...

We should be hoping that Kronwall has a bounce back season like Z did. Trade Ericsson or waive someone useless. 

I'm not saying I hope they end up on LTIR (although I do believe that may be the best situation for the team). What I'm saying is I hope if that is the case, that Holland has already been made aware, which would explain why he hasn't done anything (yet) to make the team cap compliant. I don't actually hope ill health on anyone, but when a man's knees are as bad as Kronwall's, maybe hanging them up (unofficially) would be the best thing for his long term health. You're acting as if I'm saying I hope he gets hit by a car or something... If Kronwall comes back and is capable of playing 80% of the season as a legit top 4, great for us.

Hopefully he proves everyone wrong and has a nice comeback season and scores 40 points. Maybe I just have a soft spot for knee injuries after seeing what Yzerman went through and still proving people wrong in 2002. Or maybe it's because I have meniscus wear and tear in my left knee too :lol:

Wouldn't mind Ericsson getting dumped in a trade though. 

Edited by kickazz

For sure, I'd love nothing more than a 100% healthy Kronwall. He is great when he is healthy, but we've been hoping for that for the better part of 3 seasons now, I just don't believe its going to happen.  If he limps through this season again, he needs to retire or be bought out, we need that spot and cap for a healthy player who will help us get better. The time for loyalty to old Detroit vets is over.

52 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

For sure, I'd love nothing more than a 100% healthy Kronwall. He is great when he is healthy, but we've been hoping for that for the better part of 3 seasons now, I just don't believe its going to happen.  If he limps through this season again, he needs to retire or be bought out go on LTIR, we need that spot and cap for a healthy player who will help us get better. The time for loyalty to old Detroit vets is over.

Fixed.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

For sure, I'd love nothing more than a 100% healthy Kronwall. He is great when he is healthy, but we've been hoping for that for the better part of 3 seasons now, I just don't believe its going to happen.  If he limps through this season again, he needs to retire or be bought out, we need that spot and cap for a healthy player who will help us get better. The time for loyalty to old Detroit vets is over.

Do you think we can win now? Because "win now" mode is the only time you should be buying players out. Kronwall has 2 years left on his deal, let it play out or if eligible place on LTIR.

I know you love to spin loyalty into being a bad thing, but when you have a guy like Kronwall who's knees are breaking because of what he has done for us over the past 15 years, you don't just tell him to get the F out. The way we treat our players is a reason why even though we suck, UFA's still are willing to come here. I get the frustration with the Kronwall situation, I think all of us either want a full recovery, or him to go on LTIR, its the middle ground that is frustrating, but by the time we are legit contenders anyways, he'll be gone.

I can do without it. That was not even anywhere near a Kronwalling. But I am all for a 100% healthy Kronner playing. Not a 70% one. LTIR, retire, whatever, if you're not 100% you're taking away better players ice. And some folks are worried about Butcher taking away from others. It's K and E that are the ice stealers. They need to go if not going to be able to play 100%.