• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

At least he's given us a 2 year notice instead of a 2 week notice before the playoffs like someone else recently did lol.

He's basically saying that Holland/Yzerman purposely made it a long term and front loaded contract, so that his actual cap hit would be much lower for the team and he got paid most of it in the first 10 years. If you think about it, it was a pretty genious move by management. It helped both the team out and their player. 

What's more is the cap recapture penalty wouldn't be bad the last two years, assuming they don't LTIR. But if they do LTIR that's obviously even better.

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

At least he's given us a 2 year notice instead of a 2 week notice before the playoffs like someone else recently did lol.

He's basically saying that Holland/Yzerman purposely made it a long term and front loaded contract, so that his actual cap hit would be much lower for the team and he got paid most of it in the first 10 years. If you think about it, it was a pretty genious move by management. It helped both the team out and their player. 

What's more is the cap recapture penalty wouldn't be bad the last two years, assuming they don't LTIR. But if they do LTIR that's obviously even better.

The recapture is at its worst in the last two years. $5.083/yr

Holland will do just what Chicago did and make up a convenient medical condition at the exact moment the contract goes into the cheap years.

"BREAKING: Detroit Red Wings captain, Henrik Zetterberg, allergic to, but unable to shave his beard, sources say"

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Holland will do just what Chicago did and make up a convenient medical condition at the exact moment the contract goes into the cheap years.

"BREAKING: Detroit Red Wings captain, Henrik Zetterberg, allergic to, but unable to shave his beard, sources say"

Zetterberg is kind of stupid for going public with this if you ask me. Should have kept his mouth shut. But, at the same time he could be a genius to warn the fan base 2 years ahead of time like " Yo just telling ya'll I got 2 years left in me, not 2 weeks like ma boi Datsyuk did, don't player hate"  

Alternatively could be a way to tell the management "get your s*** together or else I'm leaving in 2 years". 

On a serious note, this is pretty weird by the way, he just said months ago that he plans on finishing the contract then all of a sudden goes and drops this news purposely. 

Also I've never seen a player openly admit to leaving and saying the contract was a loophole to trick the NHL?? This guy not only has a giant beard but also some giant balls for doing this. For someone as private as Zetterberg has been about his personal life and what goes on in the locker room, to go out and give details like this is VERY uncharacteristic. 

Something is fishy about this. 

Edited by kickazz

8 hours ago, kickazz said:

Zetterberg is kind of stupid for going public with this if you ask me. Should have kept his mouth shut. But, at the same time he could be a genius to warn the fan base 2 years ahead of time like " Yo just telling ya'll I got 2 years left in me, not 2 weeks like ma boi Datsyuk did, don't player hate"  

Alternatively could be a way to tell the management "get your s*** together or else I'm leaving in 2 years". 

On a serious note, this is pretty weird by the way, he just said months ago that he plans on finishing the contract then all of a sudden goes and drops this news purposely. 

Also I've never seen a player openly admit to leaving and saying the contract was a loophole to trick the NHL?? This guy not only has a giant beard but also some giant balls for doing this. For someone as private as Zetterberg has been about his personal life and what goes on in the locker room, to go out and give details like this is VERY uncharacteristic. 

Something is fishy about this. 

I think the team is an out of character place for players, coaches, management, and fans. This is what its like to be a team on the outside. Its ugly. For those who asked for this, i hope you're happy. One of the primary advantages the Wings had for 20 years was a culture of winning. If that erodes with guys like Zberg and Datsyuk jetting, this team is in trouble. We may find ourselves the new Ottawa/Calgary. Help

His case does seem a bit different. It seems like he's more talking about how much gas he has left in his tank rather than simply going back to Sweden to play hockey there. 

Well his word is probably true, I expect hell retire in 2 years. A healthy player can't be LTIR'd can he. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

His case does seem a bit different. It seems like he's more talking about how much gas he has left in his tank rather than simply going back to Sweden to play hockey there. 

Well his word is probably true, I expect hell retire in 2 years. A healthy player can't be LTIR'd can he. 

No, but there are always loopholes... I fully expect Zetterberg's back to suddenly start acting up again in two years time...

This team is going to look very different in a couple years. I just hope we're somewhat competitive again by then...

We're going to need a lot of players to hit their ceilings, a few others to exceed expectations, and draft a couple top end talents... Easy Peasy.

Few thoughts on Zetterberg (in comparison to Datsyuk situation):

1) I'm not sure many felt he'd be finishing this contract when he signed it (was pretty borderline where NHL could have not accepted the deal if you ask me).  Several others signed similar contracts (like Crosby and Ovechkin....but they were several years younger, so finishing the contracts were not really questions for them).

2) If he does leave before the end of his contract, would leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth (if he's healthy), but not really that bad at all in contrast to Datsyuk's situation because of #1 above and because he'd leave not to go play somewhere else (assuming).

3) Having him go to LTIR in 2 years will be highly unlikely, would be met with significant scrutiny and likely wouldn't go through.

14 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ugggg, it's scary to think of what we are missing.  5 top end players.

?-?-Mantha

?-Larkin-Rasmussen

Tatar-Athanasiou-Svechnikov

Bertuzzi-Sheahan-Frk

Smith

?-?

DeKeyser-Jensen

Ouellet-Russo

Cholowski/Saarijarvi

Mrazek

Petruzelli

Dumping all the vets is first priority.  Need the cap and roster spots.

Then tank to get A. Svechnikov.  That fills a ?.

So you think Tatar is a 3rd line winger? You don't think Athanasiou or Svechnikov will develop into anything more than 3rd liners? You don't think Cholowski will develop into anything more than a 3rd pair defenseman?

Tatar is a top 6 winger. There's no reason to assume we won't re-sign Nyquist, who is also a top 6 winger. All of Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Rasmussen and Svechnikov have top 6 potential. Cholowski has top pair potential.

Of course not every player will reach their ceiling, but I think it's reasonable to assume that at least a couple will. It's also possible that a couple exceed expectations as well. We have a decent core to build around, we just need another couple (not five) high end talents.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

No, but there are always loopholes... I fully expect Zetterberg's back to suddenly start acting up again in two years time...

That's why I think it's stupid he came out and said he's done in 2 years. NHL is going to call the LTIR attempt bulls*** and say "nope, you gave yourself away"

Edited by kickazz

It shouldn't be horrible. By 2019 we would have $30 million in cap space since a lot of our vets' contracts are done by then. The players we would have to resign would be Mantha, Larkin, Nyquist Ouellete, Jensen, Mrazek. None of them will command superstar level contracts or anything in 2019. 

We'll have more than enough money even with his recapture penalty. I would be more worried if we had a high end player in his prime who is looking for a big time deal and commanding like $10 million per year, but that won't be the case. 

This is all assuming we don't pick up any FA or make any big trades and just continue drafting and developing within.

Edited by kickazz

On 8/21/2017 at 1:20 PM, kickazz said:

Datsyuk told management long before that.  It wasn't made public immediately.

It was no secret that the deal was front loaded to lower the cap and that he probably wouldn't play out the whole thing.  Deals like that are the reason behind the recapture penalty that was made retroactive.  

I'd like to have Vanek back, but AFTER AA is signed. Still be a cap issue, but Holland will have to trade salary. Not unless the LTIR thing IS happening.

Do we still have $1.4M after Franzen? Kronwall to LTIR (maybe) that leaves us a little over $6M. Trade Sheahan gives us almost $9M. $3M to AA and $4M to Vanek. Nah, who am I kidding....he'll sign Vanek, lose AA to KHL then waive players to get compliant.