• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Ken Holland contract extension watch

Rate this topic

Will Ken Holland's contract be extended by Chris and Marian Illitch?   

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

7 people actually think his contract won't be extended. Interesting.

It's what they want. Everyone else is just resigning themselves to the fact that he will probably be extended. Also, this idea that Steve Yzerman is coming back to save us is a freaking pipe dream. Everyone either needs to get off the pipe or wake up. Or both.

Also, if he moves upstairs... which is what I think/hope will happen... I'm not counting that as a true extension, which is why I voted, "No."

Edited by e_prime

5 minutes ago, e_prime said:

It's what they want. Everyone else is just resigning themselves to the fact that he will probably be extended. Also, this idea that Steve Yzerman is coming back to save us is a freaking pipe dream. Everyone either needs to get off the pipe or wake up. Or both.

Also, if he moves upstairs... which is what I think/hope will happen... I'm not counting that as a true extension, which is why I voted, "No."

Right, the question is will his contract be extended. Not what people want. 

We're prognosticating people. No touchy, feely, pissy stuff. 

I voted yes because mediocrity is OK by the Wings standards these days as long as they have a shot at getting 8th seed. If we bottom out and finish top five again, then I could see a realistic possibility of Kenny moving upstairs and fresh blood being brought in. 

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I can absolutely see him moving upstairs. But I voted yes. I imagine he wants to prove that he can win a Cup in the cap era with A Team He Built.

He already did that though in 2008.

Though I am sure he hears all the doubters, and would love nothing more then to silence them, so for that reason I could see him staying on.

59 minutes ago, kliq said:

He already did that though in 2008.

Though I am sure he hears all the doubters, and would love nothing more then to silence them, so for that reason I could see him staying on.

Right, I'm saying there's probably an ego thing there. The 2008 championship was, arguably, built on a foundation that had been set way back in the previous decade (e.g. Lidstrom). If Holland takes this team we have now and guides it to a championship within the next five years or so, that guarantees a golden legacy.

23 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Even if he moves up, does anyone believe he won't have a big role in day to day operations? Martin and/or Draper will be getting their marching orders from Uncle Kenny.

I'm kinda hoping Chuck Fletcher becomes available.

5 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Right, I'm saying there's probably an ego thing there. The 2008 championship was, arguably, built on a foundation that had been set way back in the previous decade (e.g. Lidstrom). If Holland takes this team we have now and guides it to a championship within the next five years or so, that guarantees a golden legacy.

I'm kinda hoping Chuck Fletcher becomes available.

Agreed, and this is why I think he doesn't walk away.

He walks away today and the narrative for Holland becomes "Some say one the greatest GM's of all time, Some say he was in the right place at the right time"

He wins another championship with this current team in the next 5 years doing things his way and not listening to fans and media, and the narrative becomes "The greatest GM of all time".

Ego definitely will play a factor. These past few years have definitely hurt his legacy.

Just now, kliq said:

Agreed, and this is why I think he doesn't walk away.

He walks away today and the narrative for Holland becomes "Some say one the greatest GM's of all time, Some say he was in the right place at the right time"

He wins another championship with this current team in the next 5 years doing things his way and not listening to fans and media, and the narrative becomes "The greatest GM of all time".

Ego definitely will play a factor. These past few years have definitely hurt his legacy.

Exactamundo.

8 minutes ago, Krayzie_Bone said:

Everyone always rips on abby's contract but one look at Ericcson's deal says it all. Much worse.

Personally, I like Abby. Problem is he's a support type with not enough to support... at least yet. Imo anyway. 

Everyone always rips on abby's contract but one look at Ericcson's deal says it all. Much worse.

When he signed that deal he was fairly young and was looking like a solid player. Then he got hurt and started playing like he was afraid of injury.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, Krayzie_Bone said:

To be fair though, that is in hindsight. I would argue that E made more sense at the time his contract was signed then what Abby did when his contract was signed. It is only now after the fact that the E contract looks so bad.

Personally, I like Abby. Problem is he's a support type with not enough to support... at least yet. Imo anyway. 

Yup. Good enough to help a couple skilled players but not to generate offense himself. That's not the type of guy you hand a 7 year deal

1 minute ago, DickieDunn said:

Yup. Good enough to help a couple skilled players but not to generate offense himself. That's not the type of guy you hand a 7 year deal

Right. Agree the deal seems questionable.. at least without the right team around him anyway. 

I fhink people are forgetting something because an extension doesn't mean he can't move up or get fired.

Personally I think the Wings are running the risk of becoming the Leafs, Oilers pre Shanahan and Nichelson., so if he leaves I want the captain to come home and do what he did for Tampa. If that doesn't happen give me Lombardi or Jason Botterill just don't promote someone like Draper it's time for fresh voices with new ideas.

12 hours ago, Krayzie_Bone said:

Look at the market at the time. This was not a great contract when it was signed, but it was well within the "going-rate" for a defenseman like Ericcson. 

9 hours ago, TheDetroitRedWings said:

I continue to have a selfish mindset when it comes to this. I literally won't be happy until Stephen Gregory Yzerman is back home where he belongs. 

So you've resigned yourself to being unhappy for quite a while then, eh?

There's no way that Steve Y is coming back to Detroit anytime soon.  In the same way that folks are making the case for Holland wanting to stick around until he wins another championship, it's likely that Yzerman will not be walking away from what he's building in Tampa.

So, taking my feelings and 'wants' out of the equation... I'll answer the poll this way: 

Will Ken Holland's contract be extended by Chris and Marian Illitch?

If they are smart.  No.

Edited by e_prime

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

If Holland does move on, the new hire needs to come from outside the organization. Promoting Martin or Draper wouldn't change a thing. We need a fresh perspective, someone that isn't afraid to shake things up. 

I was in the process of posting something like this yesterday when my tablet died.  If we don't I worry we'll turn into the Oilers of the late 90 through the early 2010's... a collection of glory days guys running the show with few results. (Othe than that one improbable run to the finals)

I fhink people are forgetting something because an extension doesn't mean he can't move up or get fired.

Personally I think the Wings are running the risk of becoming the Leafs, Oilers pre Shanahan and Nichelson., so if he leaves I want the captain to come home and do what he did for Tampa. If that doesn't happen give me Lombardi or Jason Botterill just don't promote someone like Draper it's time for fresh voices with new ideas.

Why would Yzerman leave TB? He's building the team there, under contract, and has no reason to quit. Unless he completely screws the pooch and gets fired, in which case why would we want a failed GM, why would he quit?

31 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Why would Yzerman leave TB? He's building the team there, under contract, and has no reason to quit. Unless he completely screws the pooch and gets fired, in which case why would we want a failed GM, why would he quit?

I don't think it'll happen either but re: the under contract part of your post; Yzerman's current four year deal does also expire after the 2017-18 season.. which leads to more speculation that he'll potentially come back here.