• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Ken Holland contract extension watch

Rate this topic

Will Ken Holland's contract be extended by Chris and Marian Illitch?   

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yzerman is not coming here because he's not a a complete idiot.

Even if this team was competitive he would be an idiot if he became our GM. Why run the risk of destroying your good name in Detroit by becoming GM? Look at Sakic in Colorado. Goes from most beloved player in their franchise to being a hated GM amongst their fanbase. Yzerman is a pipedream that will never happen.

28 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Even if this team was competitive he would be an idiot if he became our GM. Why run the risk of destroying your good name in Detroit by becoming GM? Look at Sakic in Colorado. Goes from most beloved player in their franchise to being a hated GM amongst their fanbase. Yzerman is a pipedream that will never happen.

That would probably be a wise decision.  Why go from hero to zero at one point.

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Remember when The Great One tried coaching? :lol:

I could see Devellano retiring, and Holland taking over his job.

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yeah, I agree, I don't see Yzerman being the Wings GM. Why risk ruining your reputation in Detroit.

6 hours ago, kickazz said:

Remember when The Great One tried coaching? :lol:

Except Yzerman has proven already that he's a great GM and can make some really good moves.  Sakic hasn't.  Gretzky never was a good coach.  There's no comparisons here.  

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Except Yzerman has proven already that he's a great GM and can make some really good moves.  Sakic hasn't.  Gretzky never was a good coach.  There's no comparisons here.  

Yzerman proved that he can take over a team with established stars and have hit or miss results with it, not that he can win a Cup as GM.

Ken Holland takes over the Red Wings, replaces Konstantinov and the team repeats, he negotiates for most of his stars to take deferred payments to assemble one of the most star studded teams since the Oilers had Gretzky, navigated the cap and built a team that won a Cup and was a game from a repeat: Bowman, Nill, and his staff get the credit.

Yzerman takes over a team with one of the best centers int he league and a good D corps and has seasons where he misses the playoffs, alienates some players, particularly Drouin, and doesn't win a Cup: GENIUS!

Edited by DickieDunn

49 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Yzerman proved that he can take over a team with established stars and have hit or miss results with it, not that he can win a Cup as GM.

Ken Holland takes over the Red Wings, replaces Konstantinov and the team repeats, he negotiates for most of his stars to take deferred payments to assemble one of the most star studded teams since the Oilers had Gretzky, navigated the cap and built a team that won a Cup and was a game from a repeat: Bowman, Nill, and his staff get the credit.

Yzerman takes over a team with one of the best centers int he league and a good D corps and has seasons where he misses the playoffs, alienates some players, particularly Drouin, and doesn't win a Cup: GENIUS!

How long ago was that?  1998?  Back then, Seinfeld was still on the air and you could buy gas for just over $1 a gallon.

Tampa has been ravaged by injuries to many of their top players, which were the seasons they didn't make the playoffs. They went to a Cup Finals with Yzerman and several Conference Finals from what I remember.  They still have a very good group and can make another deep playoff run when healthy.  This Wings team can't make the playoffs with this roster that Kenny has overseen.

Edited by GMRwings1983

42 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

How long ago was that?  1998?  Back then, Seinfeld was still on the air and you could buy gas for just over $1 a gallon.

Tampa has been ravaged by injuries to many of their top players, which were the seasons they didn't make the playoffs. They went to a Cup Finals with Yzerman and several Conference Finals from what I remember.  They still have a very good group and can make another deep playoff run when healthy.  This Wings team can't make the playoffs with this roster that Kenny has overseen.

To be fair, I dont think Dickie is defending Holland for his 2017 roster, just read his posts, it's clear he is not happy with Holland (not that Dickie need me to speak for him). What that post is, is essentially a breakdown of what Stevie and Holland have done as GM's. There resume's so to speak.

If I could have Yzerman or Holland right now, I would probably choose Yzerman because he is a more pro-active GM, while Holland seems to only make small moves. But let's not pretend like Yzerman has been a perfect GM, he has made many mistakes.

47 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Holland is like Krillen, afraid of the unknown. Yzerman is like Gohan. A pure hearted hero. 

On 7/4/2017 at 1:20 AM, Jonas Mahonas said:

Have you ever had Dragons Milk from New Holland Brewing?  I just picked up a bottle.

Good in small doses, dangerous in larger ones.  You get drunk FAST on the sweet, bourbony, malty goodness

On 7/4/2017 at 0:04 AM, GMRwings1983 said:

Doesn't change the fact that the Lightning had a pretty good base when Yzerman took over and he's still being hailed as some genius even though he didn't win the Cup yet, while Holland was constantly bashed as just cashing in on the work of others.  Holland has been dog crap the last few years, but he did good work earlier in his career.  One doesn't erase the other.

On 6/30/2017 at 7:18 AM, sputman said:

It's time for him to move on. It's time for a change in philosophy.

And there is no way Yzerman becomes our GM. Why would he? He is God-like in Detroit. Look at how people in Denver have already turned on Sakic. Many people now hate Sakic in Colorado. Why would Stevie ever want to risk that?

In my mind I was locked and loaded about to reply in this thread how we need to bring Yzerman in at all cost and how every member here needs to do their part by sending him a fruit basket.
....until I read your post and I was like s***....that's a really good point. Now what do I do??

On 7/4/2017 at 1:20 AM, Jonas Mahonas said:

Have you ever had Dragons Milk from New Holland Brewing?  I just picked up a bottle.

Love dragons milk. Just had some of their new smores dragons milk reserve flavor. Tasty stuff :lol:

8 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Good in small doses, dangerous in larger ones.  You get drunk FAST on the sweet, bourbony, malty goodness

Doesn't change the fact that the Lightning had a pretty good base when Yzerman took over and he's still being hailed as some genius even though he didn't win the Cup yet, while Holland was constantly bashed as just cashing in on the work of others.  Holland has been dog crap the last few years, but he did good work earlier in his career.  One doesn't erase the other.

Their base wasn't as good as you think.  He obtained Bishop, Johnson, Kucherov, Stralman, Palat, Killorn and Boyle.  Those players were a major reason for their deep playoff runs under Yzerman.  Yeah they already had Stamkos and Hedman, but you don't make deep playoff runs with only two players.  Plus, Stamkos was injured for much of their playoff run several years back.  

Also, nobody is erasing Holland's resume.  I just believe he's done nothing lately but fail.  Yzerman and others have passed him by in the current NHL.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

I agree he's failed pretty consistently lately, but there a lot of people who say he didn't do anything for the Cup teams.  '98 was all Bowman, '02 was Bowman and unlimited spending money, '08 was Nill and the rest of his staff, particularly Andersson for finding Datsyuk and Lidstrom.  But at the same time everything during that time frame that didn't work out WAS his fault.  It doesn't work that way.  Either he's in charge and gets credit and blame as appropriate, or he just sits on the golf course while everyone else does his heavy lifting and none of the credit or blame go to him.  

20 hours ago, martyrme19 said:

In my mind I was locked and loaded about to reply in this thread how we need to bring Yzerman in at all cost and how every member here needs to do their part by sending him a fruit basket.
....until I read your post and I was like s***....that's a really good point. Now what do I do??

Hope we get Nill back?

*shrugs*

I dunno. It would be very un-Red Wings-like to not promote Draper, since he seems to be training to be Holland's replacement. Hopefully he comes in with his own vision and it works. I hope his years playing with skill and toughness has given him an idea of the balance of players that makes a team good and, just as importantly, makes a team that Red Wings fans are excited to watch. I check out those videos back in the Detroit/Avalanche rivalry days and I really miss how excited the fans got when those two teams played. It was electric.

On 7/6/2017 at 9:39 AM, DickieDunn said:

I think Draper will be VP of Player Personnel and handle the talent part and Martin will be GM and handle the financial part.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

I doubt it'll happen but I wish this organization would look outside of itself for the GM role. I feel like everyone else will do it the way Holland does it or damn near close because they worked under him. Turning a bit into an ol' boys club, I'd rather just have a fresh start.

47 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

I doubt it'll happen but I wish this organization would look outside of itself for the GM role. I feel like everyone else will do it the way Holland does it or damn near close because they worked under him. Turning a bit into an ol' boys club, I'd rather just have a fresh start.

that's my fear too

Forget where I saw the article, but it was all about how Holland's time should be coming to an end in Detroit. Lots of good points. Like even though they did have some good seasons post 2009, they never made it past the second round, and in most it was a first round exit, with the team getting worse by the year. Had it been any other franchise, he'd be gone, or at least warned he's at the end of his leash, but we haven't heard anything like that from up above. It is definitely concerning how Holland is treading water close to drowning and not a peep from Illitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Forget where I saw the article, but it was all about how Holland's time should be coming to an end in Detroit. Lots of good points. Like even though they did have some good seasons post 2009, they never made it past the second round, and in most it was a first round exit, with the team getting worse by the year. Had it been any other franchise, he'd be gone, or at least warned he's at the end of his leash, but we haven't heard anything like that from up above. It is definitely concerning how Holland is treading water close to drowning and not a peep from Illitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you expect from Illitch? A public comment about Holland "warning" him?

It is very possible Illitch is behind everything Holland is doing, it's also possible he has warned Holland. We don't know, and its not the owners responsibility to tell the fans how he/she feels.