• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Ken Holland contract extension watch

Rate this topic

Will Ken Holland's contract be extended by Chris and Marian Illitch?   

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you expect from Illitch? A public comment about Holland "warning" him?

It is very possible Illitch is behind everything Holland is doing, it's also possible he has warned Holland. We don't know, and its not the owners responsibility to tell the fans how he/she feels.

Yet he did come out and basically say that Holland has full control over things. With the state of the team, why would you say that? Had to be the loudest simultaneous groin ever emitted by a fan base all at once upon hearing that statement. Or does he just not care about hockey much, sees Holland as the man his dad left in charge, is content to leave it that way, and wants to focus on selling pizza? Seems like pizza is pretty important to the Illitchs after that abomination of a roof was put in at LCA.

And it's not his responsibility to tell fans how he feels, but it would be good to hear from someone above Holland once in awhile. All we've heard is Jimmy D supports a rebuild and Illitch is good sticking with Holland ( for now?). Owners talk publicly all the time, as do team Presidents/Vice Presidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Yet he did come out and basically say that Holland has full control over things. With the state of the team, why would you say that? Had to be the loudest simultaneous groin ever emitted by a fan base all at once upon hearing that statement. Or does he just not care about hockey much, sees Holland as the man his dad left in charge, is content to leave it that way, and wants to focus on selling pizza? Seems like pizza is pretty important to the Illitchs after that abomination of a roof was put in at LCA.

And it's not his responsibility to tell fans how he feels, but it would be good to hear from someone above Holland once in awhile. All we've heard is Jimmy D supports a rebuild and Illitch is good sticking with Holland ( for now?). Owners talk publicly all the time, as do team Presidents/Vice Presidents.

Some do, but it rarely is a positive thing for the franchise.

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Like I said before, Chris appears to be content to let things go however they go as long as people buy tickets and merchandise, just like WC Ford did for decades for the Lions

I think it's more then that, say what you want about the Wings but they did "compete" this year. A tear down/rebuild/tank job would likely make us legit bad (ie. Colorado), and from a corporate standpoint, lets not fool ourselves and think that they don't want to make money. If the team got to that level of bad, and didn't get out of it, it could mean losses (financially speaking) for a very long time. This is more so why I think ownership is hesitant to go in another direction, it's not being "content", it wanting to make money.

I went to 10 games last year, they were pretty much sold out every game with maybe the exception of a couple.

10 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Like I said before, Chris appears to be content to let things go however they go as long as people buy tickets and merchandise, just like WC Ford did for decades for the Lions

Would be nice if Roman Abramovic bought this team from Chris.  

5 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Competed for what? They were bad almost the entire year.

Sent by my minions via telepathy

Ok, please understand that I was trying to give you the perspective of ownership from a business sense.

When I used the word "compete" I was not implying we were contenders last year, I was not implying that we were even good, I was implying that on most nights we competed (ie. 1 goal games, OT games, etc.) When you are junk and begin to lose games 4-1, 5-0 etc etc. all the time, that will effect attendance, hence my comment as to why Illitch likely doesn't want a complete tear down and why they insist on keeping vets. Again, not defending anything, trying to look at it through their eyes.

Edited by kliq

3 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Keep losing 2-1 and the seats are going to start emptying quick

Lose 6-1 they will empty quicker.

Again, not defending their thinking, i'm trying to explain it. 

Edited by kliq

3 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I understand it and think it's asinine of them

Ya personally I dont want a tank job, but I don't like how many vets/long term contracts they have. If I was the GM I wouldnt have signed Helm, not because I hate the contract, but because collectively with the other contracts it's too much. I wouldn't have signed Abby for 7 years (would have offered 5 max), I wouldn't have signed Nielsen, and I would have offered Glendenning closer to 1.2 mil per year.

I think there is a way to re-build on the fly, but you have to take some risk.

The Nielsen and Abdelkader contracts are the worst.  Those signings crippled this team.

Indeed. Nielson is worthless on this current team. Just Holland being trigger happy with money to burn. And the Abby deal...I realize he's an assistant captain, big community guy, big media guy. Had some pretty good seasons, one of the only physical players on the team. All that's great, but $4.25 million a season for 7 seasons? He's already declining, and was never worth that at his peak. But sure, why not?

I wonder if I sent Holland a letter if he'd sign me to a contract. Tell him I played beer league and was the top goalie one season, winning the golden beer bottle award for least goals allowed while intoxicated. Checks in the mail!

4 hours ago, marcaractac said:

Too bad Holland is the only one who can't seem to see that

Can't disagree with that. Not moving out Blashill IMO is the biggest mistake made this season.

Hopefully Blashill surprises us all and ups his game this year.

Anyone know how many years he has left on his deal? Is this year 3 of 3? Or does he have more years left?

To be fair, so has everyone else, except Z.

Z had a great year outta nowhere. He makes a pile of cash and actually earns it. Seems like the other players who signed deals lately have been content sucking cause they're future is guaranteed. Too bad they don't follow their Captains example.

On 7/21/2017 at 5:28 PM, kliq said:

Can't disagree with that. Not moving out Blashill IMO is the biggest mistake made this season.

Hopefully Blashill surprises us all and ups his game this year.

Anyone know how many years he has left on his deal? Is this year 3 of 3? Or does he have more years left?

This upcoming season is year three of blashills three year deal, yes. 

I think if we fail to make it this season, Blashill will go. And Holland will face pressure to go. I hope he goes. He did well for a lot of years. But we need someone young(er), analytical and hungry.

Not an easy feat, but enough $'s have a tendency to bring them good ones out in to the sun. There is not any cap on coaches. Big papa Ilitch would have paid up, will his heir?

Edited by Jacksoni