• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dominator2005

McCollum back

Rate this topic

You guys are hilarious, only on this board would a trade for an AHL backup upset people. :lol:

Well when you consider Holland had the guy for close to a decade, and he did nothing except hang out on the minors and was passed on the depth chart a couple times, so he eventually gave up and cut him loose. Why pick him up again one season later and waste a draft pick, even if it's a 7th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a cheap backup goalie, Mike Leighton is available. Least he's been to the Finals.

10 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Well when you consider Holland had the guy for close to a decade, and he did nothing except hang out on the minors and was passed on the depth chart a couple times, so he eventually gave up and cut him loose. Why pick him up again one season later and waste a draft pick, even if it's a 7th?

It's a backup AHL goaltender, it really doesn't matter. Plus it's conditional likely based on how many games he plays. If he sucks, they bench him and lose nothing.

Edited by kliq

1 minute ago, kliq said:

It's a backup AHL goaltender, it really doesn't matter.

It matters when you are trying to rebuild on the fly and draft picks are important.  Trading picks for a player that can actually contribute to the NHL roster makes sense, but McCollum is an example of just not being prepared and jumping the gun a bit.  There are goalies in the free agent market that I guarantee he'd be able to sign to a minor league or at worst, 2-way contract.  Hell, he let Patterson and Pasquale just walk... why not attempt to try and keep one of those guys if it's just a GR depth move?  

Just now, SwedeLundin77 said:

It matters when you are trying to rebuild on the fly and draft picks are important.  Trading picks for a player that can actually contribute to the NHL roster makes sense, but McCollum is an example of just not being prepared and jumping the gun a bit.  There are goalies in the free agent market that I guarantee he'd be able to sign to a minor league or at worst, 2-way contract.  Hell, he let Patterson and Pasquale just walk... why not attempt to try and keep one of those guys if it's just a GR depth move?  

It's a 7th round "conditional pick", it doesn't matter. You are making mountains out of mole hills.

You realize with it being conditional, they can just not hit the condition and give up nothing. You can't trade a player for nothing in the NHL as far as I know, so this is the only way to do it.

2 hours ago, kliq said:

You guys are hilarious, only on this board would a trade for an AHL backup upset people. :lol:

Oh, it’s hardly upsetting. It’s the pure hilarity of it all at this point. Only this team is this silly at this point. We make less trades than any other team in the league by a large margin and these are the kind of moves we do. 

12 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

Oh, it’s hardly upsetting. It’s the pure hilarity of it all at this point. Only this team is this silly at this point. We make less trades than any other team in the league by a large margin and these are the kind of moves we do. 

Maybe not to you, but read the thread as it's clear some people get so worked up from such small moves because it's Holland.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for this move, I just don't think it matters. The more I think about it, I don't even think Calgary will even see a pick.

Trades of this magnitude should not upset fans. But when you look at what Holland has done over the past several seasons, it's hard not to nit-pick every little move he makes. That's beside the point though. The only reason I'm a little (and I emphasize little) upset over this move is, because he let a 23 year old Paterson walk to bring back a 27 year old McCollum. I don't care about the conditional 7th, but Paterson had pretty respectable numbers in the ECHL, and plenty of room to grow, while McCollum has been average at best, and is what he is at this point. Just doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe Paterson was another guy with "attitude issues" and McCollum is a "good character guy"...

1 hour ago, NerveDamage said:

My guess is, KH's gonna try to move Coreau and keep McCollum in GR and call him up to back up either Petr or Jimmy in case of injury.

Why? This would make no sense. Coreau has very little trade value, and McCollum isn't an NHL quality goaltender, even as a 3rd option backup.

50 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

I heard a radio broadcast where Holland said that he and Howard would be fighting it out basically and that one goalie obviously can't play all 82 games.  

That makes me feel a bit better, my worry was that he was going to put him on waivers. Was this interview since the expansion draft?

1 hour ago, kliq said:

That makes me feel a bit better, my worry was that he was going to put him on waivers. Was this interview since the expansion draft?

I'll try and find the link again.  It was recent after our latest acquisitions.  

Besically, Howard was better yada, yada, yada and Mrazek needs to play better, yada, yada, yada and then what I mentioned before.

Edited by Hockeymom1960

22 hours ago, kliq said:

It's a 7th round "conditional pick", it doesn't matter. You are making mountains out of mole hills.

You realize with it being conditional, they can just not hit the condition and give up nothing. You can't trade a player for nothing in the NHL as far as I know, so this is the only way to do it.

You're confusing people, or at least me, getting upset when I'm just nitpicking the move given all the data that is available.

36 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

You're confusing people, or at least me, getting upset when I'm just nitpicking the move given all the data that is available.

No confusion, but I was sort of responding to multiple people in one post, you were just the one I quoted. Fair point though, you were not getting "upset". What I should have written is:

"It's a 7th round "conditional pick", it doesn't matter. People are making mountains out of mole hills.

People need to realize with it being conditional, they can just not hit the condition and give up nothing. You can't trade a player for nothing in the NHL as far as I know, so this is the only way to do it."

Pretty much the jest of it.

3 hours ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

I'll try and find the link again.  It was recent after our latest acquisitions.  

Besically, Howard was better yada, yada, yada and Mrazek needs to play better, yada, yada, yada and then what I mentioned before.

Probably here :

Not sounding like any of the two will get traded.

Edited by derblaueClaus

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Why? This would make no sense. Coreau has very little trade value, and McCollum isn't an NHL quality goaltender, even as a 3rd option backup.

If they brought McCollum. they did it so either Petr or Jimmy can be moved, which doesn't make much sense since neither Coreau or McCollum are NHL quality goalies... 

2 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

If they brought McCollum. they did it so either Petr or Jimmy can be moved, which doesn't make much sense since neither Coreau or McCollum are NHL quality goalies... 

I don't see it that way at all, and if management does, we're in even bigger trouble than we could have possibly imagined. No way they see McCollum as a suitable replacement for either Howard or Mrazek. This was purely a depth signing for Grand Rapids, or at least I hope... There's no way Holland is going to trade Howard after just protecting him in the expansion draft, and trading Mrazek when his stock is at an all time low, would be a huge mistake.

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't see it that way at all, and if management does, we're in even bigger trouble than we could have possibly imagined. No way they see McCollum as a suitable replacement for either Howard or Mrazek. This was purely a depth signing for Grand Rapids, or at least I hope... There's no way Holland is going to trade Howard after just protecting him in the expansion draft, and trading Mrazek when his stock is at an all time low, would be a huge mistake.

I hope that too. I don't see him going anywhere else but GR. 

11 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

I believe that he was brought in because they feel they may lose Coreau to waivers. Id rather see a trade to clear salary, but I do think he's insurance for when/if Coreau gets claimed.

Edited by LeftWinger