• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

Smith vs. Daley

Rate this topic

Smith has a Corsi For % of 55 career vs Daley's 48.  Smith is 20 lbs heavier, faster, and tougher than Daley.  Smith is 5 years younger than Daley.  And a lot of people on here are commenting that Daley was a good signing.  How can anyone in their right mind think we are better off with this exchange?

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Smith has a Corsi For % of 55 career vs Daley's 48.  Smith is 20 lbs heavier, faster, and tougher than Daley.  Smith is 5 years younger than Daley.  And a lot of people on here are commenting that Daley was a good signing.  How can anyone in their right mind think we are better off with this exchange?

Smith also cost over a million more and for more term.  Smith also was never utilized correctly on this roster (unfortunately) and that isn't guaranteed to change.  I wouldn't have minded Smith, but he did not deserve over 4 million a season, he hasn't earned it.  Of course, half our roster didn't earn it either.  Just saying.  Daley has been around longer and will be a good leader.  Oh, and we tried to sign Smith, he just stayed in New York because why would you come back when you can play for a perennial contender and with your old buddy on the blue line.

I'd rather have Smith over Daley, but there's nothing we can do about that now. Plus Smith was traded for draft picks, it's not like they were traded for each other.

1 minute ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Smith also cost over a million more and for more term.  Smith also was never utilized correctly on this roster (unfortunately) and that isn't guaranteed to change.  I wouldn't have minded Smith, but he did not deserve over 4 million a season, he hasn't earned it.  Of course, half our roster didn't earn it either.  Just saying.  Daley has been around longer and will be a good leader.  Oh, and we tried to sign Smith, he just stayed in New York because why would you come back when you can play for a perennial contender and with your old buddy on the blue line.

I hear you.

11 minutes ago, kliq said:

Smith wasn't available, plain and simple, this is a moot point. It's not like Holland had to make a choice today of either Daley or Smith.

Well and to be fair, Holland made his play for Smith, but he wasn't going to offer him more than he was worth.  In this case, oddly enough, Holland actually did a good job (if the contract offer numbers were accurate).

44 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Smith is gone boo boo

Sorry for your loss 

Edited by kickazz

17 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I like Smith and always thought he was over-criticised and utilised wrongly, but I disagree.

Because we are a 2nd and 3rd round pick, $1m and 1 year better off contract wise, and Smith never found a real consistent fit here. The only D-men he's played well with on this roster are Green and Kronwall. The former will be gone in February in all likelihood and the latter is on borrowed time AND would force Smith to play on his weak side. He's a better fit in NY than here and the draft picks are a better fit here than in NY.

Also Smith, for all his raw talent and likeable nature isn't the sharpest tool in the box, and all those who aren't part of our long-term plans might as well be good mentors for those who are I guess.

8 minutes ago, lomekian said:

I like Smith and always thought he was over-criticised and utilised wrongly, but I disagree.

Because we are a 2nd and 3rd round pick, $1m and 1 year better off contract wise, and Smith never found a real consistent fit here. The only D-men he's played well with on this roster are Green and Kronwall. The former will be gone in February in all likelihood and the latter is on borrowed time AND would force Smith to play on his weak side. He's a better fit in NY than here and the draft picks are a better fit here than in NY.

Also Smith, for all his raw talent and likeable nature isn't the sharpest tool in the box, and all those who aren't part of our long-term plans might as well be good mentors for those who are I guess.

I hear you, but I still think Smith is better than Daley.  Which means we got WORSE.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I hear you, but I still think Smith is better than Daley.  Which means we got WORSE.

Didn't you just call Smith a bust today in another thread when talking about Holland's draft record?

44 minutes ago, kliq said:

Didn't you just call Smith a bust today in another thread when talking about Holland's draft record?

No.  I said he was a first draft choice that we let go.  I dont think any of those players I listed are that bad, actually.  

daley has veteran experience 

hes an offensive dmen we already have that in green i dont know kenny holland doesnt want to make trades and did the best he could do with this signing

6 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Short term probably a little (though not with Smith's usage) long term, we got better I think.

On 7/1/2017 at 7:13 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

Last year Smith had a corsi of 49.5 and Daley had a corsi of 46.3. Smith had 9 points in 51 games, Daley had 19 points in 56 games. With that being said, Daley signed or about 1mil less, and 1 year less. That is how people can think we are better.

How did we get worse? We didn't have Smith, so we got better, because Daley will be one of our best D. It's not like we gave up Smith to get Daley. But I would.

IMO, Daley is better than Smith anyhow. Not by miles, but better in general and in what we were looking for. Look at it this way if you must, we got Daley and a 2nd and 3rd for Smith. We won that exchange.

Smith is a bust. He is supposed to be an offensive Dman yet he doesn't score or produce assists. He also wasn't available. Daley is a defensive Dman something we need to get better at.

We can revisit this in one year.  Smith will be +20 next year and Daley will be -26.  Smith will have 6 goals, 16 assists.  Daley will have 7 goals, 21 assists.  Smith will be in the conference finals.  Daley will be golfing.

We can revisit this in one year.  Smith will be +20 next year and Daley will be -26.  Smith will have 6 goals, 16 assists.  Daley will have 7 goals, 21 assists.  Smith will be in the conference finals.  Daley will be golfing.

That has a lot more to do with the players and coaches they work with than anything else

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

yes because all of your logic points to this happening. Smith was + 2 on a good rangers team and -1 on a bad red wings team. Smith's best 14 games of his career were in 2011-2012 when he had 7 pts in 14 games. Season ended and he never played that good again. There isn't a single category that Smith is better than Daley in.  Daley is better, you keep arguing for the sake of arguing. It's like talking politics with my 90 year old grandmother. 

1 hour ago, puckbags said:

yes because all of your logic points to this happening. Smith was + 2 on a good rangers team and -1 on a bad red wings team. Smith's best 14 games of his career were in 2011-2012 when he had 7 pts in 14 games. Season ended and he never played that good again. There isn't a single category that Smith is better than Daley in.  Daley is better, you keep arguing for the sake of arguing. It's like talking politics with my 90 year old grandmother. 

So you didnt watch the playoffs this year.  Ok.