• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

2017 Opening Day Roster

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

People knew the same thing about Pulk, and knew Dekeyser was going to be a good top pair D.

Sent by my minions via telepathy

Who?  Jon Snow?  That guy knows nothing. 

We will have approximately $6.2M in cap space after Franzen is placed on LTIR, with 10 forwards (Zetterberg, Nyquist, Nielsen, Mantha, Larkin, Abdelkader, Helm, Sheahan, Glendening, Witkowski), 8 defensemen (Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley Green, DeKeyser, Jensen, Ouellet, Sproul) and 2 goaltenders (Howard, Mrazek) on the active roster. That's a total of 20 of the typical 23-man roster. RFA's Tatar and Athanasiou need to be re-signed, which will likely cost between $7-7.5M. That combine with the addition of one more forward from Grand Rapids would put us approximately $2M over the salary cap. Either a trade is going to need to be made, or someone else (Kronwall / Ericsson) is going to have to end up on LTIR. Without any other moves made, I'd like to see something like this...

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Mantha
Tatar - Larkin - Athanaisou
Helm - Nielsen - Frk
Abdelkader - Sheahan - Glendening
Witkowski

Daley - Green
DeKeyser - Jensen
Ouellet - Sproul
Ericsson / Russo

Mrazek
Howard

LTIR
Franzen
Kronwall

Oh boy... Your lines seems reasonable and with some minor random variation is what we will field come puck drop I believe. And that is depressing. I am having a hard time finding a team in our division we can topple on paper.

Yes, reality is not paper and we will squeeze an unexpected win here, a Mrazek-saved/Howard-saved game there. But we are in dire straits and I suspect this season might be the worst in terms of wins in 35 years.

With that said, all isn't bad. We have Larkin, Mantha and AA. This year we'll see how they've progressed and they are certainly exciting to watch. Finally with some luck we get a top 2 pick, resulting in either Dahlin (my clear pick, would pay from my own pocket to get him) or Svechnikov, a win-win would that scenario come true. One can dream. Soon enough that's all we got.

Edited by Jacksoni

5 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

Oh boy... Your lines seems reasonable and with some minor random variation is what we will field come puck drop I believe. And that is depressing. I am having a hard time finding a team in our division we can topple on paper.

Yes, reality is not paper and we will squeeze an unexpected win here, a Mrazek-saved/Howard-saved game there. But we are in dire straits and I suspect this season might be the worst in terms of wins in 35 years.

With that said, all isn't bad. Wiith some luck we get a top 2 pick, resulting in either Dahlin (my clear pick, would pay from my own pocket to get him) or Svechnikov, a win-win would that scenario come true. One can dream. Soon enough that's all we got.

I think a LOT would have to go right for us to get close to the playoffs this year, but I don't think we're going to finish bottom 5 in the league or last in the division. Florida has gotten significantly worse, and I don't see Buffalo or Boston being much (if at all) better than us on paper either. Last season was our worst in over 25 years, and I don't think we will finish with less than 79 points this season. Virtually every player (aside from Zetteberg) had down years last year. If the majority of the team can show even a slight improvement on this past season, we're going to be a better team. That, along with the continued natural progression of the young guys, and I think we will see a spike of at least 10 points in the standings. I'd love to get one of Svechnikov or Dahlin, but I think we'll have to get lucky in the draft lottery to have a chance at one of them.

The fan in me hope you are right. I do agree that many of our players under performed last year. However subjectively I do not see that changing this year, once again allowing for local variation, as in some may blossom and others decline. But that equates to guessing. I don't have enough data to justify a peak, nor dip collectively.

The strategian in me does not hope you are right. If we won't make the playoffs, finishing in the lower middle of the pack gives us the worst (of non-playoff teams) to land one of the generational talents that are coming up in the next years draft.

If we won't make the playoffs I would prefer us being in the lower echelon with a realistic top 5 pick. With that said I would take a vacation and stock the fridge with beer if we were to be back in the race come April.

Edited by Jacksoni

Tatar  Zetterberg  Mantha/Witkowski
Helm  Nielsen  Nyquist/Witkowski
Abdelkader  Larkin  Athanasiou/Witkowski
Sheahan  Glendening  Witkowski/Witkowski

DeKeyser  Daley/Witkowski
Kronwall  Green/Witkowski
Ericsson  Jensen/Witkowski

Howard/Witkowski
Bryzgalov

PP1
Witkowski
Abdelkader  Zetterberg  Helm
Kronwall

PP2
Sheahan
Witkowski's Father  Trevor Thompson  Witkowski's Mother
DeKeyser Witkowski

Edited by Dabura

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:33 AM, krsmith17 said:

We will have approximately $6.2M in cap space after Franzen is placed on LTIR, with 10 forwards (Zetterberg, Nyquist, Nielsen, Mantha, Larkin, Abdelkader, Helm, Sheahan, Glendening, Witkowski), 8 defensemen (Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley Green, DeKeyser, Jensen, Ouellet, Sproul) and 2 goaltenders (Howard, Mrazek) on the active roster. That's a total of 20 of the typical 23-man roster. RFA's Tatar and Athanasiou need to be re-signed, which will likely cost between $7-7.5M. That combine with the addition of one more forward from Grand Rapids would put us approximately $2M over the salary cap. Either a trade is going to need to be made, or someone else (Kronwall / Ericsson) is going to have to end up on LTIR. Without any other moves made, I'd like to see something like this...

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Mantha
Tatar - Larkin - Athanaisou
Helm - Nielsen - Frk
Abdelkader - Sheahan - Glendening
Witkowski

Daley - Green
DeKeyser - Jensen
Ouellet - Sproul
Ericsson / Russo

Mrazek
Howard

LTIR
Franzen
Kronwall

I'd be ok with this, but its absolutely imperative that someone goes on LTIR along with Franzen or someone gets dealt.

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

Tatar  Zetterberg  Mantha/Witkowski
Helm  Nielsen  Nyquist/Witkowski
Abdelkader  Larkin  Athanasiou/Witkowski
Sheahan  Glendening  Witkowski/Witkowski

DeKeyser  Daley/Witkowski
Kronwall  Green/Witkowski
Ericsson  Jensen/Witkowski

Howard/Witkowski
Bryzgalov

PP1
Witkowski
Abdelkader  Zetterberg  Helm
Kronwall

PP2
Sheahan
Witkowski's Father  Trevor Thompson  Witkowski's Mother
DeKeyser Witkowski

I don't know, Trevor Thompson seems like more of the net front presence type.. 

If anything, Thompson should be the QB. This way he can control the play, feed Mr. and Mrs. Witkowski as he sees fit.

"Mr. Witkowski, How does it feel to something something Michigan something something?"

"Mrs. Witkowski, Did you ever imagine your son something something brand new building something something Michigan something something?"

"Mr. Witkowski, Would you say this is a dream come true something something Michigan something something?"

"Mrs. Witkowski, How special is this something something brand new arena something something in front of all these people something something Michigan?"

If that doesn't work, roll out the Michigan 5:

Abdelkader
Witkowski  Glendening  Larkin
DeKeyser

Much patronize. Very pander. So grit. A lot Michigan. Very character. So parents.

Edited by Dabura

5 minutes ago, amato said:

Why stop there? We should have ALL Michigan born players. Greatest state on God's green earth! 

Good idea, with the current NHLers from Michigan, what roster could you put out ? Would it be able to get in the post season? 

12 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Good idea, with the current NHLers from Michigan, what roster could you put out ? Would it be able to get in the post season? 

Abdelkader - Kesler - Rust

Connor - Larkin - McCarron

Boucher - Copp - Watson

Porter - Glendening - Condra

Motte - Tropp

Werenski - Trouba

Martinez - Krug

DeKeyser - Petry

Greene

Miller

Hellebuyck

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Abdelkader - Kesler - Rust

Connor - Larkin - McCarron

Boucher - Copp - Watson

Porter - Glendening - Condra

Motte - Tropp

Werenski - Trouba

Martinez - Krug

DeKeyser - Petry

Greene

Miller

Hellebuyck

Ok, we'll just go for that all michigan defense then :P 

Compare that to an all Ontario team...

Seguin - McDavid - Stamkos

Tavares - Scheifele - Giroux

Perry - Thornton - Spezza

Couture - Monahan - Marner

Nash - Duchene - Hoffman

Pietrangelo - Burns

Subban - Doughty

Fowler - Ekblad

Giordano - Hamilton

Murray

Talbot

36 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Compare that to an all Ontario team...

Seguin - McDavid - Stamkos

Tavares - Scheifele - Giroux

Perry - Thornton - Spezza

Couture - Monahan - Marner

Nash - Duchene - Hoffman

Pietrangelo - Burns

Subban - Doughty

Fowler - Ekblad

Giordano - Hamilton

Murray

Talbot

We can take em! We've got the intangibles on our side! :D 

Real talk: wow, that's gross haha 

32 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Haha I think Ontario's 2nd team would beat Michigan's team...

To be fair, Ontario is what? 1/3 of Canada's population? Maybe even a little more? And Michigan is probably less than 5% of the U.S. population :P 

but yeah you're probably right.. maybe Michigan could beat Ontario team 3 

21 minutes ago, amato said:

To be fair, Ontario is what? 1/3 of Canada's population? Maybe even a little more? And Michigan is probably less than 5% of the U.S. population :P 

but yeah you're probably right.. maybe Michigan could beat Ontario team 3 

True, but that's not a very accurate comparison either. Canada also has about 1/10th the population of the U.S. There's not a huge difference between the population of Ontario (13.6M) and Michigan (9.93M).

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

True, but that's not a very accurate comparison either. Canada also has about 1/10th the population of the U.S. There's not a huge difference between the population of Ontario (13.6M) and Michigan (9.93M).

That's a fair point too I suppose. I do feel like the hockey talent is a little more spread out (obviously in addition to a little thinner) in the US vs Canada though was my main point. Still crazy the amount of talent that comes out of one section of the country for sure though. 

Edit: can anyone tell it's the off season?? :P  

Edited by amato

22 minutes ago, amato said:

That's a fair point too I suppose. I do feel like the hockey talent is a little more spread out (obviously in addition to a little thinner) in the US vs Canada though was my main point. Still crazy the amount of talent that comes out of one section of the country for sure though. 

Edit: can anyone tell it's the off season?? :P  

Not only is it the offseason, it's prime off-season... Nothing happens in late July - August... :glare:

Maybe Quebec is a more fair comparison to Michigan? Quebec has a population of 8.2M.

Huberdeau - Bergeron - Drouin

Mantha - Perrault - Marchessault

Perron - Stastny - Pominville

Ribeiro - Brassard - Burrows

Vermette - Duclaire

Vlasic - Letang

Demers - Chabot

Despres - Savard

Beauchemin

Crawford

Fleury

Luongo

13 minutes ago, barabbas16 said:

I'm sure population comes into play to an extent, but isn't the pull/influence for U.S. kids to play other sports (vs. hockey being #1 in Canada) the main factor?

Absolutely. Hence why Canada is FAR superior to the U.S. in everything, including hockey... :tounge2: kidding...