• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

2017 Opening Day Roster

Rate this topic

8 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

retaining salary doesn't help unless they replace the guy with a cheap young player.  We all know Holland doesn't like doing that.

Ideally we'd like to go with 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goalies. We have 8 defensemen (Green, Daley, DeKeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson, Jensen, Ouellet, Sproul) that are not waiver exempt, so trading one (preferably Ericsson) and retaining salary, does help. We gain $2-3M in cap space that would allow us to re-sign Athanasiou, plus one less defenseman would allow us to carry the one extra forward. Of course we know Holland will not trade Ericsson (or anyone for that matter), so unfortunately that leaves us hoping that one of Kronwall or Ericsson end up on LTIR, just so the cap situation "works itself out"...

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Sproul is likely not going to be ready for Opening night. So with him being out, where does that leave us cap wise?

Unfortunately Sproul only makes $625K, so that doesn't help us a whole lot. Another move would still need to be made after Athanasiou is re-signed.

4 hours ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

Pittsburgh are after a 3rd line C still can Kenny convince them to take one of our surplus C'men?

rumors, or at least speculation, is they might take Sheahan.  I'd rather move Helm, Sheahan can be cut loose or be given a minimum salary deal as the 13th forward next summer, Helm is going to hang around like a bad rash.

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

rumors, or at least speculation, is they might take Sheahan.  I'd rather move Helm, Sheahan can be cut loose or be given a minimum salary deal as the 13th forward next summer, Helm is going to hang around like a bad rash.

I like Helm, and I've said before that his contract is not that bad in a bubble, but with Z-Larkin-Nielsen-Glendenning AND Sheahan, we have no NEED for Helm and I would be completely ok with trading him even if its for peanuts.

On 8/11/2017 at 10:36 PM, DickieDunn said:

One, I wasn't talking about specific players necessarily.  Two, 14 minutes was just a number I threw out.  Three, a forward who doesn't score a single goal until the very last game of the year averaging anywhere close to 14 minutes a night, and Sheahan was at 13:58, and getting a second of PP time means your coach has gone full retard.  By then end of the year he should have been a regular healthy scratch, if not waived, regardless of the "good things" he did.  A forward's primary job is to score.  If you're not scoring much you damn well be hitting everything that moves, especially if you're a relatively big guy.

Okkkkk then which "guys with no real skill" are you talking about that get played over Mantha and AA?

Abdelkader played more than either Mantha or AA.  Helm played 15:22 a game, not much less than Mantha and more than AA.  Lorito in his 2 games played more than AA.  Sheahan, he of zero goals through 79 games, played more than AA.  Abdelkader spent more time on the PP than Mantha or AA.  Until later in the year, Sheahan played more PP time than either, and both were pulled in his favor at times later in the year even though he couldn't buy a goal.  

16 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I guess this...

Nyquist-Z-Mantha

Tatar-Larkin-AA

Frk-Neilsen-Svech

Helm-Sheahan-Abby

Glendening

Bertuzzi

Dekeyser-Green

Daly-Jensen

Ouellet-Sproul

Pretty much exactly what I'd like to see. Only think is, I wouldn't mind Svech starting the season in GR. If he can put up a point per game (or close to it) down there for 20-30 games, he should be first injury call-up. I'd also switch Daley and DeKeyser, since DeKeyser seemed way out of place on the top pair last season.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:02 PM, DickieDunn said:

Abdelkader played more than either Mantha or AA.  Helm played 15:22 a game, not much less than Mantha and more than AA.  Lorito in his 2 games played more than AA.  Sheahan, he of zero goals through 79 games, played more than AA.  Abdelkader spent more time on the PP than Mantha or AA.  Until later in the year, Sheahan played more PP time than either, and both were pulled in his favor at times later in the year even though he couldn't buy a goal.  

I went over this all already in my original response, which if you had bothered to read it, you could have responded to instead of dragging this out.

Abby played more than Mantha because he was on both special teams. Take that away and no "guys with no real skill" played over Mantha. I wouldn't define Abby as skill-less anyway.

And I already addressed AA as well. Sheahan, Abby, and Helm played over him with completely different deployment. I asked you a question about it as well which you've chosen to ignore. I won't bother restating it for you now.

You're creating a myth that these young players don't play. They do, and they do in the correct scenarios. 

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

They honestly should. Holland would be backed into a corner choosing between AA and others. Could honestly see him taking the picks unfortunately. 

Yeah, you'd hope he would be forced to trade a player like Ericsson, but we know that isn't going to happen. I'd be pissed if all we got was a 2nd round pick for Athanasiou. Holland really has f***ed this team, and it's just further proof that the Daley signing (among others) were terrible moves for a team up against the cap...

21 hours ago, HadThomasVokounOnFortSt said:

I thought I read awhile back the Wings have given him offers?

for what little cap room they have, not what he should be getting.  Would you take a job that pays you 2/3 of what you should be making based on your qualifications?

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, you'd hope he would be forced to trade a player like Ericsson, but we know that isn't going to happen. I'd be pissed if all we got was a 2nd round pick for Athanasiou. Holland really has f***ed this team, and it's just further proof that the Daley signing (among others) were terrible moves for a team up against the cap...

dave-hester-1.jpg

On 8/23/2017 at 6:00 AM, krsmith17 said:

No one wants Ericsson. AA for a 2nd is probably fair value. 

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No one wants Ericsson. AA for a 2nd is probably fair value. 

Ericsson is a solid bottom pair defenseman, and if he can be had for a late round draft pick for around $2.75M (retaining $1.5M), there are teams (e.g. New Jersey, Buffalo) that would want him at that price. Or are you one of those that believes that trades are hard....

My ideal roster is two scoring lines (SL1, SL2), a grind line (GL) and a development/prospect line (PL) for forwards; Defense is similar but less complicated, and I'm not including them since our offense is what really needs adjustment. In a general sense the below lineup assumes that I would trade Glendening, which I talked about in a different thread. I also think Larkin needs more development before he's ready to center his own line, just like Hank needed. The lineup also takes advantage of some players ability to play different positions.

SL1: Mantha / Zetterberg / Larkin

SL2: AA / Nielsen / Tatar

GL: Abdelkader / Sheahan / Helm

PL: Bertuzzi / Nyquist / Svechnikov

On reserve: Frk, Sproul (D), Witkowski (D or O)

THE WHY: Abdelkader and Sheahan aren't skillful enough for the top two lines, but if they specialized in agitating and grinding they could be good at it, and every now and then they'd score but they'd be under no pressure to do so, Helmer is also a good agitator, but can obviously also score so the other teams would occasionally get caught with their pants down by him. It's a good place to put the three of them since you can't trade them. Larkin still needs some development and Hank is the guy to do that; so with Larkin on the wing he could spend more time learner how to be a balanced playmaking/scoring center from one of the best. AA was really good with Nielsen last year and is ready to prove himself. I personally think we should have dropped Tatar and resigned Vanek; so if AA needs to have a big-body in front of the net then maybe move Svechnikov up to SL2 and let him hang out down on the PL until Larkin is ready to Center a line of himself, Tatar and Svechnikov. Nyquist is currently a wing... but can definitely play Center. I'd put him down on the PL to both polish his center play and allow him to develop the two new scorers. I personally think Bertuzzi would actually end up swapping with Helm within this concept, but that's a decision we can only make after letting Bert prove himself.

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:28 PM, LeftWinger said:

With our roster (AA included) here's a lineup id like to see: (channeling my inner blueadams)

Tatar - Z - Mantha 

Nyquist - Larkin - AA 

Abby - Nielsen - Helm

Witkowski - Glenny - Sheahan 

Daley - Green

DD - Jensen

XO - Sproul

Witkowski might play if we have injuries, so I'm very skeptical of that choice. Bertuzzi is definitely jumping up this year and I'm also betting on Svechnikov since he's been featured in marketing packages. If you assume that, then we were planning on trading someone pretty early on this summer -- which comes down to them keeping either Glenny or Sheahan (Based on size I bet they chuck Glendening). Nielsen isn't moving from the second center position, based on play.