• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

2017 Opening Day Roster

Rate this topic

So I am looking at our roster, and assuming we are done and there are no trades to come (fingers crossed something is coming) here is what I think we are going to ice opening night. 

What are everybody's thoughts? I'm not looking for feedback in the sense of "we suck" or "I love it", I am looking for what people think will happen based on what we have. So for example, who people think is going to play, be sent down, be our healthy scratches etc. 

This is not necessarily what I want, but what I think is going to happen.

Top 12 (no particular order): Gustav Nyquist, Andreas Athanasiou, Justin Abdelkader, Luke Glendening, Henrik Zetterberg, Dylan Larkin, Frans Nielsen, Darren Helm, Tomas Tatar, Anthony Mantha, Riley Sheahan, Luke Witkowski

Top 6 D (no particular order): Trevor Daley, Mike Green, Nick Jensen, Dan DeKeyser, Niklas Kronwall, Xavier Ouellet

Goalies: Jimmy Howard, Petr Mrazek

IR: Jonathan Ericsson, Ryan Sproul, Johan Franzen

Healthy Scratches: , Martin Frk, Jared Coreau, Big Dylan

If E is not hurt to start the season, then he is likely rotating in with Kronwall and XO, and Big Dylan gets sent down.

7 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

My guess is:

Tat-Z-Man

Ny-Lark-Shea

AA-Nielson-Helm

Abby-Glen-Bert

Witko (scratch)

Daley-Green

DD-Jensen

E-XO

Kronwall (IR), Sproul (IR)

Howie, Mraz (doghouse)

Coreau (waived and lost)

That's only 21 players though if Sproul and Konrwall are in IR, your allowed 23, Right? 

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

My guess is:

Tat-Z-Man

Ny-Lark-Shea

AA-Nielson-Helm

Abby-Glen-Bert

Witko (scratch)

Daley-Green

DD-Jensen

E-XO

Kronwall (IR), Sproul (IR)

Howie, Mraz (doghouse)

Coreau (waived and lost)

Not sure if your lines just serve as placeholders or are legit what you're thinking but Sheahan on second line is a crime. I'd much rather (and I believe Baldy Blash too) would put AA or Abby on there and bring Sheahan down to 4th. 

Our top 4 defenseman actually look pretty decent to be honest.

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

_______ - _______ - Mantha

_______ - Zetterberg - Athanasiou

_______ - Larkin - Svechnikov

Glendening - Helm - Sheahan

Rasmussen, Frk

_______ - ________

Jensen - DeKeyser

Sproul - Ouellet

Russo

Mrazek

Coreau

Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Witkowski, Green, Ericsson, Kronwall and Daley need to be 86ed.  They take up 38 million of our cap hit.  And they all SUCK.  Problem is our GM keeps signing guys who suck to terrible contracts.

We have 6 BIG holes to fill to have a legitimate shot to compete every game.  Ken Holland's bandaid lineups aren't going to help our rebuild.  We need to fill the holes with our prospects and see who's going to swim/sink.  After 3 or 4 drafts at the top, we should have a squad that's fun to watch.  

What's sad is you keep saying it for years and years that the "problem is our GM keeps signing people. But he hasn't stopped yet, nor will he :lol:

29 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

_______ - _______ - Mantha

_______ - Zetterberg - Athanasiou

_______ - Larkin - Svechnikov

Glendening - Helm - Sheahan

Rasmussen, Frk

_______ - ________

Jensen - DeKeyser

Sproul - Ouellet

Russo

Mrazek

Coreau

Nyquist, Tatar, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Witkowski, Green, Ericsson, Kronwall and Daley need to be 86ed.  They take up 38 million of our cap hit.  And they all SUCK.  Problem is our GM keeps signing guys who suck to terrible contracts.

We have 6 BIG holes to fill to have a legitimate shot to compete every game.  Ken Holland's bandaid lineups aren't going to help our rebuild.  We need to fill the holes with our prospects and see who's going to swim/sink.  After 3 or 4 drafts at the top, we should have a squad that's fun to watch.  

Wrong thread....please move on.

This is a thread about what we are going to ice based on our current roster, not another thread for you to whine about Holland.

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

End Thread.  I believe their is a "Lines" thread that has been around for quite some time.  You dont need to start another one with the same topic every time you "look at our roster" in a snap shot moment.

Thanks for your input but this has nothing to do with lines, its roster management. If you read my original post, I didnt post lines, you did. You don't like my thread, don't post in it. 

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Mantha Zetterberg Athanasiou Larkin Svechnikov Glendening Helm Sheahan Rasmussen Frk Jensen DeKeyser Sproul Ouellet Russo Mrazek Coreau Nyquist Tatar Nielsen Abdelkader Green Daley 

I think those will be our 23 on opening day.

Interesting, where you would you play Rasmussen?

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Not sure if your lines just serve as placeholders or are legit what you're thinking but Sheahan on second line is a crime. I'd much rather (and I believe Baldy Blash too) would put AA or Abby on there and bring Sheahan down to 4th. 

Our top 4 defenseman actually look pretty decent to be honest.

I just put lines lazily to help remember all the players, haha. I think that Tat-Z-Man is pretty set and AA-Nielson-Helm is one we saw a lot and worked well (though Vanek in place of Helm was probably better). I think if you swap Abby and Shea in my lines, it's pretty good, but that Larkin line would seem a bit weak to me.

2 hours ago, kliq said:

That's only 21 players though if Sproul and Konrwall are in IR, your allowed 23, Right? 

Oops, guess I was counting injured guys. In that case, I could see Frk and either Lashoff or McIlrath as the extra guys

In summary, Canada Day: Drinking was involved.

Had a busy day today and haven't been around to comment at all till now

We all knew Daley was coming, I was hoping for 2 years but 3 is a pretty fair settle.

Will be interesting to see if Witowski can make the opening roster. Kid was described to me by some Tampa fans as a pretty decent fighter. After the draft and these tough guys signings, it's pretty clear Holland and Blash don't feel this team is tough enough physically to compete. Interesting new direction.

This McCollum kid is intriguing as well. I don't know much about him, but the trade makes me think the Wings brass might see something in him that Calgary didn't. I see he's decently old and Calgary never really gave him a shot. Maybe he's a viable replacement after a goalie trade?

56 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Had a busy day today and haven't been around to comment at all till now

We all knew Daley was coming, I was hoping for 2 years but 3 is a pretty fair settle.

Will be interesting to see if Witowski can make the opening roster. Kid was described to me by some Tampa fans as a pretty decent fighter. After the draft and these tough guys signings, it's pretty clear Holland and Blash don't feel this team is tough enough physically to compete. Interesting new direction.

This McCollum kid is intriguing as well. I don't know much about him, but the trade makes me think the Wings brass might see something in him that Calgary didn't. I see he's decently old and Calgary never really gave him a shot. Maybe he's a viable replacement after a goalie trade?

Do you not remember McCollum being a Wing draft pick from 2008?  Played in Grand Rapids for a long time, played only 3 games with the big club and then decided to leave as a free agent after the 15/16 season.  

Getting back to topic (Thanks for laughs @ChristopherReevesLegs :D):

Top 12 : Gustav Nyquist, Andreas Athanasiou, Justin Abdelkader, Luke Glendening, Henrik Zetterberg, Dylan Larkin, Frans Nielsen, Darren Helm, Tomas Tatar, Anthony Mantha, Little Bert, Luke Witkowski

Top 6 D (no particular order): Trevor Daley, Mike Green, Nick Jensen, Dan DeKeyser, Niklas Kronwall, Xavier Ouellet

Goalies: Jimmy Howard, Petr Mrazek

IR: Jonathan Ericsson, Ryan Sproul, Johan Franzen

Healthy Scratches: Martin Frk, , Big Dylan, Riley Sheahan

With the moves and drafts Holland made I can see him going with the big bodies more this season. It might be a little early for Bertuzzi but he would fit this strategy. So just for the sake of having someone different in the lineup I put him there. I also don't see Coreau up with the Wings, he'll probably tending the goal in GR until Mrazek or Howard are injured or traded.

14 minutes ago, matt198913 said:

14-40-39

72-51-21

43-71-59

15-41-8

6-3

65-25

61-18 IF 55,52 are on IR

35-34 

Ughhh why do you have to make me think lol. That 4th line is a good one, possibly the best in the NHL. Sure as hell is better then the OMG line from a year ago.

For once I do expect a trade or 2 to happen this summer. Not sure who is heading out or coming in but this is not a playoff roster and Holland has stated he wants us to make the playoffs this year. That means major changes will happen. This is also scary. For us to get major pieces we have to give up major pieces, something we don't have.

This also means that some guys may end up on our roster before they are ready. Guys like Svechnikov, Smith and Rasmussen.

45 minutes ago, Richdg said:

For once I do expect a trade or 2 to happen this summer. Not sure who is heading out or coming in but this is not a playoff roster and Holland has stated he wants us to make the playoffs this year. That means major changes will happen. This is also scary. For us to get major pieces we have to give up major pieces, something we don't have.

This also means that some guys may end up on our roster before they are ready. Guys like Svechnikov, Smith and Rasmussen.

I'd make a significant wager that no major changes in the way of trades will be made this year, or any year until Holland moves on. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though...

6 hours ago, matt198913 said:

14-40-39

72-51-21

43-71-59

15-41-8

6-3

65-25

61-18 IF 55,52 are on IR

35-34 

This brings up an interesting point... What number is Daley taking?  Pretty sure #6 is off limits

18 minutes ago, NotTooAbby said:

This brings up an interesting point... What number is Daley taking?  Pretty sure #6 is off limits

Yeah, he won't be wearing number 6, although I think he should be able to. My guess is something with the number 6 in it. Maybe 26?...

16 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd make a significant wager that no major changes in the way of trades will be made this year, or any year until Holland moves on. I'd love to be proven wrong on that though...

That is the feeling and has been mine. But there is always hope!

So do we think any of the prospects or Senior Griffins have a chance to make the roster? Will there be someone who'll blow the coaching staff away in camp, will Lil Bert get that so called final spot or can Svech step up to the plate and make the cut. Personally I wouldn't have said that there's one place up for grabs like Kenny has. Too many so called safe spots for declining vets, which shouldn't be the case, as it's not like some of them are blowing the competition away. Maybe Kenny should have said there's openings for the best players and start waiving players that don't cut the mustard in camp. Tough you may feel but this is a business and Kennys job is to put a product on the ice that is appealing and entertaining and also competitive, will fans stomach in theory the same roster as last year or get behind a roster with a fresh approach abit more youth and yes, a touch of the unexpected with younger players.