• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Ken Holland "We protected our best goaltender"

Rate this topic

39 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

BSheahan on the PP when he hadn't scored a goal

I think that's more indicative of this team's overly devoted system to have a low skill/big body for net front presence on every single power play unit. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but if you have way better players to put on the PP play them.

I think that's more indicative of this team's overly devoted system to have a low skill/big body for net front presence on every single power play unit. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but if you have way better players to put on the PP play them.

A big body in front of the net only works when they play like a big body. Sheahan is softer than melted butter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a really interesting article. He comes off really well and seems to contradict the negative reports about him. The 

So it raises the question of whether Khan did a hack job on his character. All the talk of attitude problems did come from his article, and - if you read it again - the attacks can just be written off as Khan's personal conjecture. 

For instance, the title was very straightforward "Detroit Red Wings exposed Petr Mrazek due to performance, attitude" like it was a statement from the team, but then in the article most is modified as Khan's own perceptions: "The Red Wings seemingly soured on Mrazek due to a combination of performance and attitude." 

He had no stated sources. Statements like "Mrazek was not happy the Red Wings were unable to trade Howard in the off-season and let the club know in less-than-tactful terms." are without explanation or confirmation of any type.

The only vague source is "some in the organization": "Mrazek has always had a swagger and air of confidence, which appealed to the Red Wings. But sometimes he's too cocky for his own good, some in the organization believe. He became increasingly difficult to coach last season, they said." That even sounds like it's speculation on the part of the source.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/06/red_wings_left_petr_mrazek_unp.html

Or maybe Khan's a homer and was trying to make Mrazek look unattractive to Vegas so we could keep him? haha.

Anyway, who knows. Just hope he bounces back and becomes the goalie I think he can be. Even if he had some issues nothing really seemed that big anyway.

3 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Blashill was asked about it and he said it was because they had given up some shorties and wanted someone defensively responsible

Sent by my minions via telepathy

But aren't most shorthanded goals due to a mistake at the blue line that lead to a fast break? A player around the net is not going to stop a shorthanded goal. 

Great, somebody else already translated that for me. I can keep sleeping in the office though. 

Anyway, I like that self-confidence part. There´s huge difference between american and czech educational system when it comes to self-confidence, it´s one of the most toughest part for czech and slovak players leaving to NA. 

23 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

... to Sheahan on the PP when he hadn't scored a goal...

21 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Blashill was asked about it and he said it was because they had given up some shorties and wanted someone defensively responsible

15 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Tell him that. He blamed AA so he pulled AA for Sheahan's alleged defensive prowess

This narrative is not supported by reality.

Sheahan was a regular on the PP for the first 10 games or so, while AA had little PP time. AA then was a regular for a few games until he got injured. Sheahan went back for a couple games, then was taken off for 10, came back for a dozen of so (when Abby was injured), then was removed again for 20+, regular again for around a dozen (after Vanek was traded), then again mostly off the last few games. AA was used sporadically for 25 games or so after returning from injury, then became a regular (more or less, near the bottom of the regular list) for the rest of the season. There's no correlation between Sheahan's PP time and AA being removed. (Might be a correlation between SHGA and AA's PPTOI being reduced at times, but I don't know what specific games AA was on the ice for a SHGA.)

Sheahan should have been traded at the deadline. But if there was so much interest in him when he had 0 goals for the season, maybe if he gets 5 this year his value will jump even higher!

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Sheahan should have been traded at the deadline. But if there was so much interest in him when he had 0 goals for the season, maybe if he gets 5 this year his value will jump even higher!

Yeah, that's my hope.  If the rumors last deadline were true, that is.  Hopefully he bounces back and his value jumps higher and we can trade him in a package for top D or C.

Red Wings would like Jimmy Howard to play 50-55 games

"We’re very comfortable with Jared as a third. I have no problem with him being the backup goalie, either. If we can keep Jimmy Howard healthy to play 50-55 games, I was comfortable with Jared in a role like that. But we obviously have Petr back – Vegas didn’t have interest in him, so I’m hoping he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.”

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/07/23/red-wings-would-like-jimmy-howard-to-play-50-55-games/

"We’re very comfortable with Jared as a third. I have no problem with him being the backup goalie, either. If we can keep Jimmy Howard healthy to play 50-55 games, I was comfortable with Jared in a role like that. But we obviously have Petr back – Vegas didn’t have interest in him, so I’m hoping he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.”

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/07/23/red-wings-would-like-jimmy-howard-to-play-50-55-games/

50-55 games? Lol just like Blash's comment about focusing on a playoff return. Doubtful. When did they all of a sudden decide to give Howard the job and that many games? Last thing Salajko said was they'd be battling for playing time out of camp. Haha things change everyday with the Wings lately.

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

Makes sense. Job is Howard's to lose again. 

The controversial part I think is the comfort level with Coreau. He was worse than Mrazek last year yet theyre comfortable with him playing 20 to 30 games as Howards backup? I'm not quite on board with that yet. This team is making it very clear theyre prepared to move forward without Mrazek in the mix. He royally pissed off the organization somehow, wish we knew what he did. 

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

That sounds more to me like they would have been comfortable playing Coreau 25-30 games as Howard's backup, if Mrazek were no longer with the team. It's obvious that Howard will start the season as the starting goaltender, but I doubt Holland or Blashill would want Howard playing 65% of the games with Mrazek behind him. I can see them going into the season, once again wanting a 50/50 split, if both can stay relatively healthy. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mrazek plays this season like he's capable of, and earns the majority of the work load. I've always been a Jimmy supporter, but at 33 years old, I'm hoping the younger (25 year old) Mrazek takes over the starting role permanently this season.

15 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

If Holland really believes Coreau can be trusted as the #2 behind an injury prone Howard, it's just another piece of evidence that he's lost his mind

Sent by my minions via telepathy

I'm pretty sure it was the goalie coach that said that, not Holland.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

That sounds more to me like they would have been comfortable playing Coreau 25-30 games as Howard's backup, if Mrazek were no longer with the team. It's obvious that Howard will start the season as the starting goaltender, but I doubt Holland or Blashill would want Howard playing 65% of the games with Mrazek behind him. I can see them going into the season, once again wanting a 50/50 split, if both can stay relatively healthy. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mrazek plays this season like he's capable of, and earns the majority of the work load. I've always been a Jimmy supporter, but at 33 years old, I'm hoping the younger (25 year old) Mrazek takes over the starting role permanently this season.

This tells me that they are and will continue to actively shop Mrazek, whether we agree with that choice or not.  If Mrazek sticks around, I expect it to be 50/50, at worst 60/40 Howard (if he stays healthy).  They have to get Mrazek games so that they can at least try to lift up his value and get something for him at the trade deadline if it comes to that.

Maybe this is just another ploy by management to get Mrazek fired up. He sees Howard might get 50 games, he's comin to camp to unseat him. Hope it happens and has a great season and we can finally put this stuff to rest.

But, Petr doesn't seem to worry ( never really does) or put much stock in the "insider" reports out of Detroit concerning him though. He debunked some of it as hearsay already, like the team being pissed at him when he didn't have one face to face with anyone about it, or the trade thing where he said Holland didn't contact him once saying he wanted to trade him, or he was being traded.

4 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

This tells me that they are and will continue to actively shop Mrazek, whether we agree with that choice or not.  If Mrazek sticks around, I expect it to be 50/50, at worst 60/40 Howard (if he stays healthy).  They have to get Mrazek games so that they can at least try to lift up his value and get something for him at the trade deadline if it comes to that.

If they get Mrazek playing games, and he does play well (better than Howard), and takes over the starters net once again, why would they want to trade him at that point though? Unless his attitude really is so bad, that it doesn't matter how well he plays, they want him gone regardless. I'm not sure how it could possibly be that bad, but if it is, I guess it would make some sense... Regardless, best case scenario for this team would be for Mrazek and Howard to play out of their minds, and to trade one (preferably Howard) at some point this season for help on defense.

6 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Maybe this is just another ploy by management to get Mrazek fired up. He sees Howard might get 50 games, he's comin to camp to unseat him. Hope it happens and has a great season and we can finally put this stuff to rest.

But, Petr doesn't seem to worry ( never really does) or put much stock in the "insider" reports out of Detroit concerning him though. He debunked some of it as hearsay already, like the team being pissed at him when he didn't have one face to face with anyone about it, or the trade thing where he said Holland didn't contact him once saying he wanted to trade him, or he was being traded.

TIL you have to tell someone face to face your pissed at them in order to be so, and Petr Mrazek must be notified before he's allowed to be shopped.