• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

Development Camp

Rate this topic

15 hours ago, kliq said:

IF and this is a big IF, the Datsyuk trade turns into an elite D-man (Chowolski), and a top 4 D-Man (Hronek), AND Chychrun fizzles out, this could end up being one of the best trades in Wings history. Now I do not think all 3 of those things will happen, but if they did that would be something.

Even if one of chychrun not panning out or cholowski developing into a top pair dman, its still a win for us. We got rid of the cap hit, and get a top pair guy at the same time, sounds like a good thing to me 

20 hours ago, kliq said:

IF and this is a big IF, the Datsyuk trade turns into an elite D-man (Chowolski), and a top 4 D-Man (Hronek), AND Chychrun fizzles out, this could end up being one of the best trades in Wings history. Now I do not think all 3 of those things will happen, but if they did that would be something.

You already know I'll be the first one back in the 2016 draft thread pointing out whose going to be eating crow. 

Edited by kickazz

22 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm most excited about all of the positive reviews on Cholowski. Sounds like his skating, passing and vision (arguably the three most important attributes of a defenseman) are borderline elite. I really hope he develops into a top pair (number one) defenseman.

I think the thing holding him back is his actual physical skills. He has the intelligence and hockey IQ though. And if you have those things then you can easily develop the physical stuff.  

And holy s*** has anyone heard him talk? He must have bigger balls than most of us on these forums. Crazy deep voice. 

Edited by kickazz

22 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm most excited about all of the positive reviews on Cholowski. Sounds like his skating, passing and vision (arguably the three most important attributes of a defenseman) are borderline elite. I really hope he develops into a top pair (number one) defenseman.

The following video can attest to this. #27 in red. Go to the different times listed below to see what he did (don't actually click on them, just open the video in another window and go to the times manually). Can add "deking" to your list of strengths. 

0:02,1:09, 8:05, 8:48, pinches
2:59 goals against
3:54
6:44
7:05 deke
8:54
10:54
14:31 deke

Edited by kickazz

On July 15, 2017 at 7:41 PM, kickazz said:

The following video can attest to this. #27 in red. Go to the different times listed below to see what he did (don't actually click on them, just open the video in another window and go to the times manually). Can add "deking" to your list of strengths. 

0:02,1:09, 8:05, 8:48, pinches
2:59 goals against
3:54
6:44
7:05 deke
8:54
10:54
14:31 deke

Looks very poised throughout, something I feel our team lacks a bit of since the Magic Man left.

Setkov Stands Tall At Development Camp

Setkov, who still lives in Denmark with his family, has been making the trip to Sweden each day, even after the end of the season.

"There's a big bridge between Sweden and Denmark, and he travels across the bridge," Andersson said. "He comes in, he works out and during a lot of (school) breaks and in the summer, he'd do twice a day. The junior B coach said he's been coming there for two years and never once has he complained, or said, 'Can I train at home?' He comes happily every time."

Andersson said that once Setkov started to adjust to his quickly growing frame, the improvement came quickly.

"He has really started to improve," Andersson said. "He's been unbelievable in practices. It used to be, he was a young kid, he was immature and he was having a good time. Now it looks like he's on a mission."

Setkov described the way he sees his game.

"I think I'm a two-way defenseman, I play in both zones, love the offensive game as well as the defensive game," he said. "Play on power play and stuff like that."

"We know he's a big, 6-foot-6 kid that looks like he's about 12 years old," said Tyler Wright, the Wings' director of amateur scouting. "You can see he needs strength, he needs a lot of time, he needs to play competitive hockey. But you get excited to where the process could go."

As Wright indicated at the draft, the days of letting players like Setkov really blossom in junior hockey and the minors for a long time could be over.

"If they're physically mature enough and they're mentally mature enough to go, I think we should expose them to that," Wright said.

If Setkov adjusts quickly enough, he could join his fellow countryman Frans Nielsen at Little Caesars Arena in the not-too-distant future.

Sounds like we got our Johnathan Ericsson replacement for the 2020/21 season

Kruppa Ranks Wings Prospects

Defense

1. Cholowski

• High level of intelligence, needs to develop more physically.

2. Hronek

• Great quarterback and great character, defensive game needs work and is small.

3. Saarijarvi

• Might be better than Hronek offensively but also might be worse defensively. Undersized as well.

4. Hicketts

• Looks a lot like Torey Krug and not afraid to throw the body. Remains to be seen if he can compete against big bodies.

5. Russo

• Smart, well-sounded, remains to be seen if he can handle NHL physicality.

Forwards

1. Svechnikov

• Great offensive skills, defensive game lacking. Almost ready for a full NHL season.

2. Bertuzzi

• Could make team out of camp. Excels under pressure.

3. Smith

• Assertive, physical, and smart. Will make you pay for the puck.

4. Rasmussen

• long-term project. Goes to the dirty areas and uses brawn and instincts to control play.

5. Zablocki

• Well rounded player who can score, grind, and play up and down the lineup and on the PP or PK.

Goalies

1. Petruzzelli

• Big, quick, positions well, controls rebounds, and good character. Definite possible NHL starter.

2. Coreau

• Big

Not a lot we haven't heard already. Was a little surprised to see Zablocki there. Wonder where Lindstrom, Elfstrom, and Holmstrom rank.

I've heard a few good things about Zablocki, although I think he may be another Nastasiuk type player. Ceiling is likely no more than a decent bottom 6 grinding winger.

I've also heard a lot of good things on both Lindstrom and Kotkansalo. Nothing on Elfstrom. And I don't think Holmstrom was at development camp this year.

Apparently Cholowski put on mad weight this past season / this summer. I think it was something crazy like 26lbs. Not bad for 10 months...

11 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Apparently Cholowski put on mad weight this past season / this summer. I think it was something crazy like 26lbs. Not bad for 10 months...

Man, I wish I could get credit for doing that :(

23 hours ago, barabbas16 said:

My favorite part was "definite possible" NHL starter

More or less meant he definitely possesses the potential to become an NHL starter. Whereas you look at a guy like Coreau and I don't think anyone thinks he has that potential. W'ere hoping for him to become a full-time backup.

8 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

More or less meant he definitely possesses the potential to become an NHL starter. Whereas you look at a guy like Coreau and I don't think anyone thinks he has that potential. W'ere hoping for him to become a full-time backup.

Yeah, it just sounds a bit Brian Fantana-ish...60% of the time it works every time.