• 6'1"
    • 185 lbs
    • Has to head to the WHL if he doesn't make the Griffins this season
  • Cole Fraser
    • D
    • Age 17
    • 6'2"
    • 195 lbs
    • 2nd in the OHL in fighting majors last season. Must return to the OHL for one more season.
  • Patrick Holway
    • D
    • Age 20
    • 6'4"
    • 201 lbs
    • Had impressive freshmen year in college. Must return to the U of Maine for one more season.
  • Filip Hronek
    • D
    • Age 19
    • 6'0"
    • 170 lbs
    • Looks like a draft steal. Was Saginaws MVP last season. Will play for the Griffins this season.
  • Adam Larkin
    • D
    • Age 22
    • 6'0"
    • 182 lbs
    • Free agent invite. Dylan Larkin's older cousin. Led Yale D-men in scoring last season.
  • Gustav Lindstrom
    • D
    • Age 18
    • 6'2"
    • 187 lbs
    • Hakan pick. Will spend at least one more season in Sweden.
  • Matej Machovsky
    • G
    • Age 23
    • 6'2"
    • 187 lbs
    • Will compete for one of the two jobs in Grand Rapids this season
  • Chase Pearson
    • C
    • Age 19
    • 6'2"
    • 189 lbs
    • Lead U of Maine freshmen in goals last season. Must return to college for at least one more year. Father Scott played 300 NHL games.
  • Keith Petruzzelli
    • G
    • Age 18
    • 6'5"
    • 180 lbs
    • Central Scoutings #2 ranked North American goalie (#1 midseason)
  • Michael Rasmussen
    • C
    • Age 18
    • 6'6"
    • 215 lbs
    • Highest draft pick since Keith Primeau. Must play at least 1 more season in juniors unless he makes the team.
  • Ville Saarijarvi
    • D
    • Age 20
    • 5'10"
    • 165 lbs
    • 1 of 6 finalists for OHL D-man of the year award last year. Will play for Grand Rapids this season.
  • Dylan Sadowy
    • LW
    • Age 21
    • 6'1"
    • 195 lbs
    • Needs to have a break out season with GR this year after disappointing first year as a pro.
  • Jordan Sambrook
    • D
    • Age 19
    • 6'2"
    • 193 lbs
    • Grew up a Wings fan and family friend of the Draper's. Led his team to a memorial cup appearance last season.
  • Malte Setkov
    • D
    • Age 18
    • 6'6"
    • 192 lbs
    • Hakan pick. Will return to Sweden to play this season.
  • Givani Smith
    • RW
    • Age 19
    • 6'2"
    • 209 lbs
    • Rough, willing to fight, power forward who can score. Must spend one more year in juniors.
  • Libur Sulak
    • D
    • Age 23
    • 6'2"
    • 207 lbs
    • Played well at the World Championships. Will return to Finland unless he makes the team.
  • Mattias Elfstrom
    • C
    • Age 20
    • 6'3"
    • 194 lbs
    • Hakan sleeper pick. Greatly improved this part year in Sweden.
Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

6 minutes ago, Richdg said:

You sure on Smith. He played with the Griffins last year. Yes there are some funny rules between the NHL and the CHL that I can't ever remember.....

Not sure of the true rules, but Brendan Savage from mlive reporting that he must spend one more season in junior.

Also Cholowski and Smith were both invited to Canada's world juniors training camp, citing Cholowski's elite vision and positioning and Smith's superb ability on the forecheck

26 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not sure of the true rules, but Brendan Savage from mlive reporting that he must spend one more season in junior.

Also Cholowski and Smith were both invited to Canada's world juniors training camp, citing Cholowski's elite vision and positioning and Smith's superb ability on the forecheck

Yeah, the Cougars own Cholowski's rights, so if he doesn't make the Griffins out of camp, he goes back to Prince George. I'm kind of hoping that's the case. Wouldn't mind seeing what he can do in a season in the W, before turning pro.

9 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, the Cougars own Cholowski's rights, so if he doesn't make the Griffins out of camp, he goes back to Prince George. I'm kind of hoping that's the case. Wouldn't mind seeing what he can do in a season in the W, before turning pro.

Agreed. He's 19, one season in the W wouldn't hurt, and he'd have the chance to rack up some points in a higher scoring league before joining the Griffs full-time. 

I think I'm most excited to hear about how Malte Setkov plays, just because we know almost nothing about the kid since he was an unranked Hakan pick. Most I've been able to gather so far is that he skates decent for a big guy that's still growing, and has an excellent outlet pass, but that is literally it.

Found this on Setkov

Hard/accurate shot, can play either side, not fazed by forecheckers, good checking ability and board work, plays PK, plays clean and disciplined, excellent outlet passer, agile for a big man, clears low slot, uses size and footwork to not get beat to the outside.

14 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Hard/accurate shot, can play either side, not fazed by forecheckers, good checking ability and board work, plays PK, plays clean and disciplined, excellent outlet passer, agile for a big man, clears low slot, uses size and footwork to not get beat to the outside.

Mehhh.... all that from a single game? On a player he wasn't even intently scouting?  I would want to see some consistent reports before jumping on that one.  

18 hours ago, kliq said:

It's nice hearing about Hronek! If he and/or Cholowski turn into stars it could very easily change narrative of the Datsyuk deal.

We all holding our breath for these two. I seriously have no idea how they'll turn out in NHL. I've heard a lot about Cholowski's IQ. 

3 hours ago, _SP_ said:

Mehhh.... all that from a single game? On a player he wasn't even intently scouting?  I would want to see some consistent reports before jumping on that one.  

IT'S ALL I GOT WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

We all holding our breath for these two. I seriously have no idea how they'll turn out in NHL. I've heard a lot about Cholowski's IQ. 

Offensive defensemen

2 hours ago, sputman said:

George Malik at The Malik Report always does an amazing job covering these camps and analyzing the players each year.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr

He does?  Since when?  Last time I read anything he wrote it was equal parts copy and pasting real journalists' stuff, complaining about health and money, and making crap up and saying "if you read between the lines, this is what he really means," followed by arguing with commenters. 

27 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

He does?  Since when?  Last time I read anything he wrote it was equal parts copy and pasting real journalists' stuff, complaining about health and money, and making crap up and saying "if you read between the lines, this is what he really means," followed by arguing with commenters. 

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man

7 minutes ago, sputman said:

Haha, his response was a little aggressive. Possible he needs a couple of white russians 

26 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

It really tied the room together.

I thought Cholo was going to College and, as such, we wouldn't see him for quite a while. Has he decided to play for Grand Rapids instead?

Yup. Goes to junior if he doesnt make the Griffs

3 hours ago, sputman said:

Considering that's an accurate summary of everything of his I've ever written, not much of an opinion.  It's like saying Abe Lincoln wanted to keep the Union together is just an opinion

10 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Considering that's an accurate summary of everything of his I've ever written, not much of an opinion.  It's like saying Abe Lincoln wanted to keep the Union together is just an opinion

You're right, it's exactly like saying that.

Cole Fraser shatters the glass at camp

Rasmussen & Cholowski Impress at Camp

(Rasmussen) "He uses long, graceful, smooth strides to fly down the ice (often having to wait up for his line mates). Several of the other players on the ice looked choppy in comparison, but Rasmussen was smooth and fluid. His skating style and stride were beautiful to watch. I wasn’t able to see a lot from this big kid yet, but what I did see was good. He also looks like he has a bomb of a shot!"

"The routine the players then had to perform required great hand-eye coordination and excellent skating ability. Dennis Cholowski, the Red Wings 2016 1st round pick (20th overall) was the first to run through the drills, and I think he was also the best at them. Cholowski looked completely calm, confident, and executed with poise and accuracy. I can see why the Wings felt he was ready for an NHL contract."

The same drills that Cholowski looked very good in, I guess also went very well for Libur Sulak

(Rasmussen) "He uses long, graceful, smooth strides to fly down the ice (often having to wait up for his line mates). Several of the other players on the ice looked choppy in comparison, but Rasmussen was smooth and fluid. His skating style and stride were beautiful to watch. I wasn’t able to see a lot from this big kid yet, but what I did see was good. He also looks like he has a bomb of a shot!"

A graceful skater leaving teammates behind with a bomb of a shot...This description should be encouraging to those who were wary of this pick - and latched on to the Holmstrom comparison in the draft discussion. This guy does seem to have a lot more to offer than just size and skill as a net-front presence.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk