• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chaps80

Mrazek "Maturing, could bounce back like Howard"

Rate this topic

23 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ok, let's go with that

People moaned and griped about Howard that season, deservedly so.

Now I'm griping about Mrazek... deservedly so?

Absolutely. The criticism is warranted, but not reason to give up on the kid. That's my only point here. And I'm not saying you want him gone, but I know there are some that do, which is crazy to me...

38 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Ok, let's go with that

People moaned and griped about Howard that season, deservedly so.

Now I'm griping about Mrazek... deservedly so?

Quite frankly what I said has nothing to do about whether you gripe about Mrazek or not. I simply don't care. My point was that I think it's more likely that Mrazek rebounds than not. Not to make another Howard vs Mrazek pissing contest. 

Edited by marcaractac

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The golden boy and future of our franchise, who we mistakenly exposed and Vegas mistakenly passed on during the expansion draft, has a save percentage of 0.898 since 2/14/16 (70 games played)

When's the Vezina coming?

Well he worked with a goaltending coach in the offseason and I thought he looked pretty good against the Caps a few nights ago.  Seriously, how many point blank open shots were we going to give to Ovechkin before it finally went into the net?  I don't think he'll ever win a Vezina and he has a long way to go before being a legit #1 goalie, but he's shown "some" improvement.

5 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Well he worked with a goaltending coach in the offseason and I thought he looked pretty good against the Caps a few nights ago.  Seriously, how many point blank open shots were we going to give to Ovechkin before it finally went into the net?  I don't think he'll ever win a Vezina and he has a long way to go before being a legit #1 goalie, but he's shown "some" improvement.

Whoa, don't you know he had a Vezina caliber season one time? Hasek was a late bloomer too.

Also, Jimmy was hurt last season. That makes Mrazek good.

42 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The golden boy and future of our franchise, who we mistakenly exposed and Vegas mistakenly passed on during the expansion draft, has a save percentage of 0.898 since 2/14/16 (70 games played)

When's the Vezina coming?

Give him a few years.  I believe he will do it.

6 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

they have 2 mediocre goalies.  One old, one young.  That's not changing anytime soon.

One of those goalies has a .920% (top 10 among starters) save percentage and one has a .898% (worst in the league among starters) since 2/14/2016. But yeah, f*** it, they're the same.

37 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

One of those goalies has a .920% (top 10 among starters) save percentage and one has a .898% (worst in the league among starters) since 2/14/2016. But yeah, f*** it, they're the same.

Agreed. He's really good when he's healthy and gets regular starts.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/08/red_wings_outlook_jimmy_howard_2.html

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And the goalie war has begun for the year!

Career numbers:

Jimmy: SV%: .916  GAA: 2.44

Mraz: SV%: .913    GAA: 2.58

Very similar

To me, they've both looked good this year. Howard has had the much better "on" games, but also the bigger "off" games. If he shakes off the past 2 rough games then he's undoubtably winning the battle for #1. We'll see. Mrazek has continued with being pretty solid (improved to me) but still has one head-scratcher goal per game it seems. When the game is under-pressure he seems to revert to sprawling Petr and takes himself out of the net or just checks out for a minute for a fluke goal. Hope he figures that out.

11 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

And the goalie war has begun for the year!

Career numbers:

Jimmy: SV%: .916  GAA: 2.44

Mraz: SV%: .913    GAA: 2.58

Very similar

To me, they've both looked good this year. Howard has had the much better "on" games, but also the bigger "off" games. If he shakes off the past 2 rough games then he's undoubtably winning the battle for #1. We'll see. Mrazek has continued with being pretty solid (improved to me) but still has one head-scratcher goal per game it seems. When the game is under-pressure he seems to revert to sprawling Petr and takes himself out of the net or just checks out for a minute for a fluke goal. Hope he figures that out.

I'm interested to see what happens to Mrazek after this year. He's RFA, and Jimmy will have one year left on his deal. There will be lots of tinder for a goalie flame war.

22 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

he can't stay healthy, he can't be counted on, that makes him mediocre

21 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd trade either for Shea Theodore without thinking twice.

Abso - ******* - lutely!

1 for 1, or maybe Mrazek and Montreal's 6th for Theodore!

21 hours ago, BinMucker94 said:

Quick trade a goalie to Vegas. They currently have zero goalies due to injuries.

:lol: I was just going to post this! They don't have the cap room at the moment, but Stoner is STILL on the IR and part of his cap could be used as the difference if they chose to LTIR him. The only reason he isn't on it already is they don't need the cap relief. 

Having Howard and Coreau would probably help us in our pursuit of Dahlin/Svech. (although I believe we need Dahlin more!)

Imagine this in two years:

Theodore - Dahlin

Cholowski - Hicketts

Daley - DD

Jensen/XO (if re-signed)

We still have Hronek, Sarajaarvi and Sulak in the minors (Europe) that can come in when DD and Daley contracts end.

I'd gladly give Mrazek away and allow him to mature in Vegas! :lol: Especialy for Theodore in return!

And BTW, Yes I am hoping we get to draft a Swedish defenseman! (although at the moment he is only 165lbs. but that will change!)

Edited by LeftWinger

13 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

he can't stay healthy, he can't be counted on, that makes him mediocre

You're really taking liberties with your definitions huh. Howard is not "mediocre" because he is injury prone, he is "injury prone" because he is injury prone. You can't just change the meaning of words so something fits your narrative. 

With your logic, back when Crosby was dealing with his concussion issues, he could be labeled as "mediocre".