• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Tatar Re-Signs 4 Years $21.2M ($5.3M AAV)

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, brett said:

its a good deal for what 20+ goal scorers and 50+ point guys get nowadays

but im afraid tatar is going on the decline now and his best years are behind him.

He's 26, and coming off a 25 goal campaign while playing hurt the entire season. Unless the surgery went poorly and he lost mobility in his shoulder which is very unlikely because I'm sure Holland has been receiving medical reports, there is no reason to think he will regress other then because fans are playing the "everything is going to go wrong" card.

Edited by kliq

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

And on a bad team.

Well he's now one of our overpaid staff and with his salary it demands production. if the team's bad its because we are relying on guys like him.

8 hours ago, Dabura said:

And on a bad team.

Well he's now one of our overpaid staff and with his salary it demands production. if the team's bad its because we are relying on guys like him.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

No, it's because Holland thinks guys like Helm Abdelkader and Glendening are more than grinders who are relatively easy to replace

Sent by my minions via telepathy

I'll never understand why we re-signed Helm, at least to the term and dollar value anyway.  I understand Abdelkader to a point, but they had to understand that playing with Dats inflated his numbers, so I don't understand why they give him the term and dollars.  I'm actually okay with Glendening, but he should be making around 1.25 at most.

52 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I'll never understand why we re-signed Helm, at least to the term and dollar value anyway.  I understand Abdelkader to a point, but they had to understand that playing with Dats inflated his numbers, so I don't understand why they give him the term and dollars.  I'm actually okay with Glendening, but he should be making around 1.25 at most.

If I remember correctly, Helm received other offers (I think Buffalo & Vancouver) and this was slightly below what the other teams were offering him.

Given our cap situation, I agree we shouldn't have signed him.

4 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

The Helm contract isn't as bad as Abdelkader's in my opinion, and I also think Helm is more valuable to the team when healthy. The salaries for both were a little too high, but the term is where the contracts went to s***. I actually think Glendening's was worse, obviously not in overall impact on the cap, but what he brings to the team vs the contract he received makes it the worst on the team in my opinion. I would have been okay with Abdelkader at around $3M X 4 years, Helm at around $3.5M X 4 years, and Glendening around $1.2M X 2 years. 4th line centers of Glendening's caliber can be replaced any year in free agency, or by players within the organization. I think Turgeon could be a viable replacement as early as next season, but Glendening will still be getting overpaid for another three seasons after that...

8 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

Well he's now one of our overpaid staff

He's not overpaid.

Mike Halford summed it up pretty well:

Tomas Tatar has been Detroit’s most consistent goalscorer over the last three years. He’s netted 29, 21 and 25 in each campaign, for a grand total of 75 — more than Phil Kessel, Patrick Marleau and Matt Duchene have scored over the same timeframe.

Now, Tatar wants to be paid accordingly.

Helene St. James:

The 75 goals he has scored from 2014-15 through 2016-17 ranks 31st overall in the NHL.

Tatar is a really good top-six scoring winger and a solid (if unspectacular) first-line scoring winger. And, according to the conventional possession metrics, he's an elite possession-driver.

$5.3M x 4 is a really good deal for the Wings.

7 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

with his salary it demands production.

He's performed above his pay grade in each of the past four seasons.

• 2013-14: 19 goals and 39 points in 73 games. Cap hit: $630K.
  • 2014-15: 29 goals and 56 points in 82 games. Cap hit: $2.75M.
  • 2015-16: 21 goals and 45 points in 81 games. Cap hit: $2.75M.
  • 2016-17: 25 goals and 46 points in 82 games. Cap hit: $2.75M.

He's been performing like a $5M player, and now he's getting $5M. So, the only "demand" that his new contract makes is "Keep doing what you're doing."

7 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

if the team's bad its because we are relying on guys like him.

The team is bad because we lack top-end talent at every position. That's not on Tatar, it's on the people who run the organization and construct the team. Tatar is not The Problem. Tatar has not been holding us back.

You know, even though this case went to arbitration, one could say this is now two decent contracts in a row Tatar signed.  I am not going to begrudge him the 5.3 million since it is a fair rate for his production, and, as I said before, if his shoulder is fine and Blashill deploys him correctly it could end up being a bargain.  I was just thinking about how his previous contract at 2.75 million for three years and, more importantly, leaving a year of RFA afterwards was a huge deal for the Wings.  I am hoping he lights it up in a big way this year.

Edited by TheXym
Typo

Not trying to be negative but we keep giving raises to underachievers. This guy is making Tyler Seguin type money. No where near as productive. I like Tatar but he isn't living up to expectations. Hopefully he shows up for the entire 2017-18 season. 

1 hour ago, matt.zablocki said:

Not trying to be negative but we keep giving raises to underachievers. This guy is making Tyler Seguin type money. No where near as productive. I like Tatar but he isn't living up to expectations. Hopefully he shows up for the entire 2017-18 season.

Seguin's 7 year deal isn't representative of what a player of his caliber makes. Seguin signed that deal after his 2nd year in the league and had 1 disappointing 22 point rookie season and 1 break 67 pt. break out season. His contract is very low for what he produces because they took a chance and locked him up longterm before he fully come into his own. He'll probably get 8 or 9 million when his to contract is up in a couple years.

Anyway, I hope Tatar's shoulder injury is fixed and he has his best year.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:33 AM, matt.zablocki said:

Perhaps it is Seguin who is making Tatar money

Any relation to Lane?

On 8/20/2017 at 1:33 PM, matt.zablocki said:

he's making Tyler Seguin before he broke out money.  Seguin would be making at least $3 mil more a year of his contract had been up before now.

On 10/18/2017 at 6:04 PM, Euro_Twins said:

He has literally started off every season like this. People are still surprised? 15 games in and he'll be on fire 

No it's because he comes on here and looks at the criticism and then that's scoring. It's obvious. 

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

No it's because he comes on here and looks at the criticism and then that's scoring. It's obvious. 

So basically he only scores if we bash him for not scoring? Sheahan should visit too than lol. Tatar now has 3 goals, 4 points in his last 3 games. 

15 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

So basically he only scores if we bash him for not scoring? Sheahan should visit too than lol. 

It doesn't work that way. Sheahan has no skill and Tatar does. 

16 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

Tatar now has 3 goals, 4 points in his last 3 games. 

He heard me out :w00t: