• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

Who would you Rather Have?

Rate this topic

Who would you rather have?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think you could add Kasper Kotkansalo as well, since we wouldn't have had him without the Vanek trade, and we wouldn't have had Vanek without the Datsyuk trade. I'd still rather Chychrun right now, because I'm not confident any of Cholowski, Hronek or Kotkansalo will ever be better, but if even one of those three develop into anything close to Chychrun, it's a win for us. So yeah, my vote goes to Chychrun right now, but I could easily see it changing in the next couple years.

Maybe it's the optimist in me but I have a really good feeling about Cholowski. All the reports of his vision and hockey IQ being good have me pretty excited for his development. It seems like the things he's good at are things that you either have or don't and the knocks on him on draft day (size/strength for example iirc) are things that can be trained. And he's already put on 20+ lbs since being drafted.. 

I do wish we had Chychrun; I think he'll be a stud sometime soon. But I think Cholowski has similar long term potential and adding Hronek and maybe Kotkansalo pushes me toward picking the side we got in this poll. Hopefully Cholowski gets to start in Grand Rapids and starts making a name for himself.. I'm excited to see how all of our young Griffin D men pan out this year and beyond. 

It's hard to say because Chychrun was one of the most NHL ready players in that draft, whereas Cholo and Hronek still need more time to develop physically. But Hronek is developing really nice and looks very promising as an offensive D-man/quarterback. Probably most excited about him of all our D prospects. And now Cholo has packed on 25 lbs and everyone says his positioning/stickwork/and ability to read the game are super high level. Of the 3, nobody has busted yet that's for sure.

He's young, and it says he will make a full recovery, but this kid has been injured quite a few times now and I remember at the draft this being his biggest negative.

The more I think about this trade, the more I think we are going to come out the winners.

http://www.tsn.ca/chychrun-out-indefinitely-after-knee-surgery-1.821775

30 minutes ago, kliq said:

He's young, and it says he will make a full recovery, but this kid has been injured quite a few times now and I remember at the draft this being his biggest negative.

The more I think about this trade, the more I think we are going to come out the winners.

http://www.tsn.ca/chychrun-out-indefinitely-after-knee-surgery-1.821775

Much like back surgeries, you're never truly the same after knee surgeries.

23 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Came here to post the same thing. 

Our future top 4 will be...

Cholowski - Hronek

Kotkansalo - Saarijarvi

Chychrun will never recover from knee surgery and will be a complete bust...

I want to believe.

Sobering fact: we haven't produced a true high-end NHL defenseman since NIklas Kronwall. Kronwall's breakout season was ten years ago, and now he's in the final stages of his career, so we've basically gone his entire NHL career without producing a single Kronwall-caliber defenseman. (That can't be right. Right? Someone tell me I'm forgetting someone. I genuinely want to be wrong on this. .__.)

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

I want to believe.

Sobering fact: we haven't produced a true high-end NHL defenseman since NIklas Kronwall. Kronwall's breakout season was ten years ago, and now he's in the final stages of his career, so we've basically gone his entire NHL career without producing a single Kronwall-caliber defenseman. (That can't be right. Right? Someone tell me I'm forgetting someone. I genuinely want to be wrong on this. .__.)

D drafted since 2001 (Kronwall taken in 2000) not including last 3 drafts since its too early.

Looks like Smith & E are the best we drafted since Kronwall. 2011 class/Jensen are still up in the air, but for the most part these guys are pretty much no names. To be fair though, ALOT of these guys are low end picks.

Source: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005492.html

2001 - Miroslav Blatak, Dmitry Bykov, Francois Senez

2002 - Johan Berggren, Derek Meech, Pierre-Olivier Beaulieu, Jonathan Ericsson

2003 - Kyle Quincey,

2004 - Sergei Kolosov, Nils Backstrom

2005 - Jakub Kindl, Jeff May, Juho Mielonen, Bretton Stamler

2006 - Logan Pyett

2007 - Brendan Smith, Bryan Rufenach,

2008 - Max Nicastro

2009 - Gleason Fournier, Nick Jensen, Adam Almquist

2010 - Ben Marshall

2011 -  Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul, Mattias Backman, Richard Nedomlel, Alexey Marchenko

2012 - Mike McKee, James De Haas

2013 - Mitch Wheaton, Marc McNulty

2014 - None

Edited by kliq

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

I want to believe.

Yes. Yes you are. His name is Brendan Smith... :tounge2:

Seriously though, the only thing I've gathered from this, is that we're long overdue. I'm still not sure we have a true stud number one, but I think a few have the potential to become top pair defensemen. Most will end up as 2nd pair or lower, and that's fine, but I'm really hoping at least one (Cholowski?) turns out to be a big time player for us.

3 hours ago, kliq said:

D drafted since 2001 (Kronwall taken in 2000) not including last 3 drafts since its too early.

Looks like Smith & E are the best we drafted since Kronwall. 2011 class/Jensen are still up in the air, but for the most part these guys are pretty much no names. To be fair though, ALOT of these guys are low end picks.

Source: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005492.html

2001 - Miroslav Blatak, Dmitry Bykov, Francois Senez

2002 - Johan Berggren, Derek Meech, Pierre-Olivier Beaulieu, Jonathan Ericsson

2003 - Kyle Quincey,

2004 - Sergei Kolosov, Nils Backstrom

2005 - Jakub Kindl, Jeff May, Juho Mielonen, Bretton Stamler

2006 - Logan Pyett

2007 - Brendan Smith, Bryan Rufenach,

2008 - Max Nicastro

2009 - Gleason Fournier, Nick Jensen, Adam Almquist

2010 - Ben Marshall

2011 -  Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul, Mattias Backman, Richard Nedomlel, Alexey Marchenko

2012 - Mike McKee, James De Haas

2013 - Mitch Wheaton, Marc McNulty

2014 - None

Also since Kronwall, we've drafted our first defenseman in each year at...

2001 - Blatak (129)

2002 - Berggren (131)

2003 - Quincey (132)

2004 - Kolosov (151)

2005 - Kindl (19)

2006 - Pyett (212)

2007 - Smith (27)

2008 - Nicastro (91)

2009 - Fournier (90)

2010 - Marshall (201)

2011 - Ouellet (48)

2012 - McKee (140)

2013 - Wheaton (139)

2014 - N/A

2015 - Saarijarvi (73)

2016 - Cholowski (20)

2017 - Lindstrom (38)

In 17 years, only three 1st round picks (Kindl, Smith, Cholowski), four 2nd round picks (Ouellet, Sproul (same year), Hronek (same year as Cholowski), and Lindstrom), and the rest were 3rd round our later. It's no wonder we've never had much luck drafting and developing defensemen when we simply haven't drafted enough, high enough... We seem to be tipping the scale a little in recent years, which is great, and hopefully one or... five of these guys pan out to be very good players for us...

Edited by krsmith17

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes. Yes you are. His name is Brendan Smith... :tounge2:

Seriously though, the only thing I've gathered from this, is that we're long overdue. I'm still not sure we have a true stud number one, but I think a few have the potential to become top pair defensemen. Most will end up as 2nd pair or lower, and that's fine, but I'm really hoping at least one (Cholowski?) turns out to be a big time player for us.

Also since Kronwall, we've drafted our first defenseman in each year at...

2001 - Blatak (129)

2002 - Berggren (131)

2003 - Quincey (132)

2004 - Kolosov (151)

2005 - Kindl (19)

2006 - Pyett (212)

2007 - Smith (27)

2008 - Nicastro (91)

2009 - Fournier (90)

2010 - Marshall (201)

2011 - Ouellet (48)

2012 - McKee (140)

2013 - Wheaton (139)

2014 - N/A

2015 - Saarijarvi (73)

2016 - Cholowski (20)

2017 - Lindstrom (38)

In 17 years, only three 1st round picks (Kindl, Smith, Cholowski), four 2nd round picks (Ouellet, Sproul (same year), Hronek (same year as Cholowski), and Lindstrom), and the rest were 3rd round our later. It's no wonder we've never had much luck drafting and developing defensemen when we simply haven't drafted enough, high enough... We seem to be tipping the scale a little in recent years, which is great, and hopefully one or... five of these guys pan out to be very good players for us...

You can tell in 2011 Holland went all in drafting D with the anticipation of Lidstrom's retirement, which obviously was only 1 year away (I have to wonder if Lidstrom gave him the head's up a year out).

4 hours ago, kliq said:

You can tell in 2011 Holland went all in drafting D with the anticipation of Lidstrom's retirement, which obviously was only 1 year away (I have to wonder if Lidstrom gave him the head's up a year out).

Yes, but if that is the case, that wasn't the best planning by Holland and his staff. I know it was Nicklas Lidstrom, but even the perfect human had to retire at some point, and he was 40 years old. Realistically, they should have been setting themselves up for Lidstrom's retirement much sooner than 2011. I know you should "take the best player available", but at some point you need to draft for team need, and it was clear that defense should have been addressed a lot sooner. 22 of their 74 draft picks (less than 30%) in that time were defensemen, and of those 22 defensemen that were selected, they averaged 178th overall. That's crazy!

In saying that, a big reason that number was so high was because they traded away a lot of picks at that time, going on Stanley Cup runs. It's hard to fault them for that, as it proved to be a successful strategy. And it's not even like they selected forwards every year, passing on high end defensemen. For the most part, especially earlier (2001-2006), they picked best player (defenseman) available, even using hindsight. We could have had Subban in 2007, but we did take a defenseman in Smith, who at the time was regarded as a higher potential defenseman, so it's hard to fault them for that. In 2008, they took McCollum, and even back then I hated that pick, mainly because I don't like taking goalies that high in the draft. In hindsight, they could have taken Voynov or Josi with that pick if they were targeting defensemen, which they probably should have at that point. 2009 was a very weak draft for defensemen (outside of the top half of the first round), so it's hard to fault them for the Ferraro pick. In 2010 when they took Sheahan, they could have had Faulk, but that would have been a bit of a reach at the time, and they would have had to get very lucky to pick him out of all the other terrible defensemen that we're selected around him.

So I guess, I'm not sure what they could have done to better prepare for Lidstrom's retirement, other than trade up in the top 10-15, but even that would have been a bit of a crap shoot. So I guess more than anything, they were unlucky taking defensemen for quite a few years. Hopefully that is about to change with the high volume of defensemen taken in the past few years.

The more I hear about Cholowski, the more excited I'm getting for him. I'm definitely going to pay close attention and watch some of his games this season.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

So I guess, I'm not sure what they could have done to better prepare for Lidstrom's retirement, other than trade up in the top 10-15, but even that would have been a bit of a crap shoot. So I guess more than anything, they were unlucky taking defensemen for quite a few years. Hopefully that is about to change with the high volume of defensemen taken in the past few years.

Ya, the way I look at it Holland had 3 plans.

1) Sign Suter, he came close, but obviously this didnt workout. 

2) Draft a ton of kids, hope one breaks out. Again obviously this didnt workout, I remember back then they had high high hopes for Smith.

3) Elevate Kronwall. This is what he did.

Tough spot to be in when a franchise D retires, really can't replace that.