• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
martyrme19

Leafs waive Marchenko

Rate this topic

I don't often post on these boards but can admit that I sometimes ascribe to the camp of "Couldn't we have gotten at least a 6th rounder before losing player "x" to waivers". But as they continue to play out I realize more and more than this isn't EA Sports.....

http://www.tsn.ca/maple-leafs-waive-d-marchenko-per-agent-1.829739

He looked pretty good in the international tournament playing for Russia about a year ago. Much better than he had looked playing on the Wings roster.

Made me think he'd be much improved for us. It didn't materialize and I lost enthusiasm and had no issue with him leaving us.

He'll probably be heading back to the motherland if someone doesn't pick him up, which could happen of course. No worries though, it won't be us that I am sure of.

so we don't what a player back who was our leading +- on D and on course to be 2nd/3rd overall in points on a team that struggled with the D it did retain. I agree hes not flashy, and lets be honest isn't going to be a top point producer in the main but he is responsible in his own end is a good positional player and knows the systems. 

Better than what we have at present? open to debate but id rather have him than a couple we do have, still it'll be irrelevant when Kenny snags Butcher!!

10 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

so we don't what a player back who was our leading +- on D and on course to be 2nd/3rd overall in points on a team that struggled with the D it did retain. I agree hes not flashy, and lets be honest isn't going to be a top point producer in the main but he is responsible in his own end is a good positional player and knows the systems. 

Better than what we have at present? open to debate but id rather have him than a couple we do have, still it'll be irrelevant when Kenny snags Butcher!!

Like who? Ericsson? E is literally the only defenseman I'd be willing to swap with Marchenko, and that's purely based on their contracts. Ericsson is the better player, but if we could have Marchenko at $1.45M for one season and move Ericsson at $4.25M for three seasons, I'd do that in a heartbeat. That would save us $2.8M on a player that should be our 7th defenseman. We have a ton of depth (too much if that's possible) at every position, even defense. What we lack is high end talent. Marchenko would just add to the cluster of mediocre players that are borderline NHLers. For the same reason, I don't think we should be pushing for Butcher either, who I think will be another bottom 4 defenseman at best. We do NOT need any more bottom 4 defensemen / bottom 6 forwards. If anything, we should be shedding these types of players, to make room for a trade, or for some of the prospects coming up over the next couple seasons.

Stay away from Marchenko Kenny...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Like who? Eri.... Bla bla tele-bla..

Stay away from Marchenko Kenny...

Agreed. We need Top talent badly and he doesn't fit the bill. Short of extortion, bribes or murder I don't see it happen though - unless (once again) we draft them. Which is chapter by itself, excessively written about.

A rock and a hard place.