• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, kickazz said:

It's individual members online. Makes sense. 2007 Red Wings were probably the most popular team in North America at the time. 

I used to be an active member of hockeyfights.com in 2007 and they would easily have thousand members online at once as well. And Red Wings were the most talked about team even there (even though we didn't really have many fighters). 

Now, hockeyfights.com is dead and so are most other hockeyforums in general. It's all about twitter, instagram and facebook now to be honest. Follow the Wings there and you'll find people arguing over stuff every time someone posts a picture. 

2007 was a great year on the forums. The Brad Norton experiment, the rise of Pain Train, the beginnings of Hasek vs Osgood wars, and then getting the cup in 08 after losing to the Ducks in 07. Lots of highs and lows :lol:

15 hours ago, Detroit # 1 Fan said:

2007 was a great year on the forums. The Brad Norton experiment, the rise of Pain Train, the beginnings of Hasek vs Osgood wars, and then getting the cup in 08 after losing to the Ducks in 07. Lots of highs and lows :lol:

edit nm

Edited by Echolalia

16 hours ago, Detroit # 1 Fan said:

Don't forget sirdrake. We can never forget sirdrake. 

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Unfortunately, Holland's bad handling of the team, including AA, have us discussing his imcompetence far too often.

Much of that blame deserves to be spread around. But that's not the easy/simple thing to do. Everyone loves a scapegoat. 

10 hours ago, Son of a Wing said:

Much of that blame deserves to be spread around. But that's not the easy/simple thing to do. Everyone loves a scapegoat. 

You're right to a point.  Poor coaching and sub par scouting, both amateur and professional, have also been issues, but Holland is the one in charge of making those staffing decisions, so it ultimately falls on him.

15 hours ago, kickazz said:

It's a broken record when all people talk about is Holland. 

How about some threads about pro-fighting vs non-fighting. Hasek vs. Roy, 2005 Legace vs Osgood, twilight years Datsyuk vs Zetterberg, Avery turtle vs Lemieux turtle

shameless plug

Wow pages upon pages for a guy who has insane speed but lacks defensive ability and doesn't seem to be a low maintenance type of player and who experts project as a 3rd line center. I' not saying AA is wrong here it' not his job to manage or help out with the cap. If AA and his camp think they are worth more and the Wings aren' willing or able to offer it ask for a trade publicly. Otherwise sign a KHL contract play in the Olympics and increase your value further. 

I believe getting fixated on any current player is a mistake because next year when the real rebuild starts a new core needs to be build, vets on ltir... 

Wheter AA stays or goes has no impact on that but of course it would reflect poorly on the organization from top to botttom because it would show a lack of long-term thinking in terms of signings and cap management 

6 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Wow pages upon pages for a guy who has insane speed but lacks defensive ability and doesn't seem to be a low maintenance type of player and who experts project as a 3rd line center. I' not saying AA is wrong here it' not his job to manage or help out with the cap. If AA and his camp think they are worth more and the Wings aren' willing or able to offer it ask for a trade publicly. Otherwise sign a KHL contract play in the Olympics and increase your value further. 

I believe getting fixated on any current player is a mistake because next year when the real rebuild starts a new core needs to be build, vets on ltir... 

Wheter AA stays or goes has no impact on that but of course it would reflect poorly on the organization from top to botttom because it would show a lack of long-term thinking in terms of signings and cap management 

I guess this is assuming Holland is gone after this season?

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I guess this is assuming Holland is gone after this season?

Yes I think so. Chris is a smart guy he knows this seasons highlight is going to be draft and no GM is going to change that because the team has no cap space and no elite talent. So he will honor Holland's and Blashills contract but not extending them. Martin, Draper and a some scouts should also be evaluated of course it's just me rehashing the thoughts from the Wings Podcast but it makes a lot of sense. Maybe it's non sense and Chris is happy with status quo but that would spell doom for the Wings going forward especially given the Leafs like ticket prices while also accepting a basketball team into a hockey arena.. 

If AA really goes to the KHL that's smart he can increase his value and play in the Olympics 

Edited by frankgrimes

1 minute ago, frankgrimes said:

Yes I think so. Chris is a smart guy he knows this seasons highlight is going to be draft and no GM is going to change that because the team has no cap space and no elite talent. So he will honor Holland's and Blashills contract but not extending them. Martin, Draper and a some scouts should also be evaluated of course it's just me rehashing the thoughts from the Wings Podcast but it makes a lot of sense. 

If AA really goes to the KHL that's smart he can increase his value and play in the Olympics 

I'll be honest with you Frank, I think this is just wishful thinking from the anti-Holland crowd. Unless he steps down, I dont see Holland going anywhere. If Chri Illitch is trusting Al Avila in a re-build, he will surely trust Ken Holland.

14 minutes ago, kliq said:

I'll be honest with you Frank, I think this is just wishful thinking from the anti-Holland crowd. Unless he steps down, I dont see Holland going anywhere. If Chri Illitch is trusting Al Avila in a re-build, he will surely trust Ken Holland.

He doesn't have to if Chris doesn't extend his contract he would be gone or even if he did Holland could still get fired. It will be very interesting to see how he handles all of that before the draft if he is happy with the current state then Holland would be way down the list of problems and Chris would shoot to the top but I believe he is smart and hopefully cares as much as his dad did if not oh well.. 

AA can make more in 1 year of KHL hockey than in this whole bridge contract or whatever the Wings had planned for him. 

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

He doesn't have to if Chris doesn't extend his contract he would be gone or even if he did Holland could still get fired. It will be very interesting to see how he handles all of that before the draft if he is happy with the current state then Holland would be way down the list of problems and Chris would shoot to the top but I believe he is smart and hopefully cares as much as his dad did if not oh well.. 

AA can make more in 1 year of KHL hockey than in this whole bridge contract or whatever the Wings had planned for him. 

Fire, not extend, etc. my point still stands. I dont think Illitch goes with someone other then Holland unless Holland steps down or wants to go into another position.

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

What makes you think this? Have you heard anything on what kind of contract he was offered by the unknown KHL team?

PVD had a great post a few pages back on what sort of contract we can guess he might have been offered to play in the KHL.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:15 AM, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Only 3 guys in the KHL make 4 mill or more (Kovy, Dats, Voynov) so AA's offer wouldn't be that high. And only 7 guys make more than 2 million so I can't imagine his KHL offer was very large really. 2.5-3 as the highest possibility to me, but that is really just a guess.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/khl-contract-salaries-highest-paid-datsyuk-radulov-kovalchuk-kontinental-hockey-league/

Nichushkin bolted from the Dallas Stars last year in similar situation and he only made 1.21 million in the KHL. Both players had 29 pt. seasons before negotiating, but AA's goal total (18) is double what Nichushkin's so I'm not how you should weigh that compareable.

The only real hint at Kenny's offer, is when he said he expects us to be "slightly over the cap" if we sign AA. According to Detroit new's article on the KHL offer, we're already 2.5 mill over. If we consider Franzen's LTIR cap relief (3.95 mill), then we at least know he's offering more than 1.45 million. I guess it all depends how you interpret "slightly over" to guess how much higher the offer would be.

But i look to the Sheahan deal. We signed Sheahan for 2.075 when he had an extra year in the NHL under his belt, but after a year when he had very similar stats (-4 goals). So I think that offer is around 2 mill. 

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

What makes you think this? Have you heard anything on what kind of contract he was offered by the unknown KHL team?

PVD had a great post a few pages back on what sort of contract we can guess he might have been offered to play in the KHL.

Here is the article http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/09/05/detroit-red-wings-andreas-athanasiou/632696001/

so: 3 million tax free plus Olympics vs low ball offers and no Olympics on a bottom five team 

Tough choice? Not really

look I don't think AA is that great but he is better than some of the beloved have beens on this team and it's not Ferris' or AA's job to help out here. 

if you are scenario is true and it very well could be just as likely as mine then the Wings would have a massive ownership problem simple as that and at that point I'd be looking to become a fan of team like Buffalo who's owner is like Mr. I 

Edited by frankgrimes

Decisions Decisions.

3 mi with no  taxes  for 1 yr

or 1.9 = 3.8 - taxes for 2 years

He is probably in the 40% bracket(assuming US Taxes) so 1.9 per year goes down to 1.14 per year so now he is underwater by 760K over 2 years vs KHL deal.

Hard to ignore leaving 380K on the table per year. Granted most members here would shrug their shoulders at that kind of loss and not be worried.....riiiiiight

I am going on the ledge and saying deal gets done for 2.2 for 2, 3 days before camp after AA goes to Russia to scout things. 

Edited by AtlantaHotWings
misspell