• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

Only two remaining RFA's still without contracts and not attending camp, Athanasiou and Josh Anderson (CBJ), both of which are represented by the same agent, Darren Ferris. Apparently this guy has a reputation for playing hard ball with GM's. Anderson and his camp are not close to striking a deal with Columbus, but Athanasiou is getting close to a deal to stay in Detroit. Holland flew to Toronto on Saturday to meet with AA and Ferris, and his offer still stands at $1.9M x 2 years. I'm thinking he signs within the next couple days just north of that. Somewhere in the ballpark of $2M x 2 years.

30 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

this guy has a reputation for playing hard ball with GM's

+ was doing the same with Flames Sam Bennett (he signed anyway)

I believe AA wants to play within the best deal they can make and it´s no more than 2M per when both Sproul (/LTIR) and Bertuzzi go down the waivers to AHL. 

Edited by Juklitz

33 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Ok, let's say you're in on acquiring Duchene. Since you're having issues signing AA, he's included in the return. What or who else goes back to Colorado in order to acquire Matt?

I cant believe you want to trade AA :lol:

Kidding aside, I think Colorado would want a 1st round pick which I would not want to give to them for a kid who can barely handle being a 1C as it is.

My gut tells me he is similar to Kessel, he may not be "the guy", but on the right team where he anchors the second line, he could be an amazing 2C.

We don't need an amazing 2C.

4 hours ago, kliq said:

I cant believe you want to trade AA :lol:

Kidding aside, I think Colorado would want a 1st round pick which I would not want to give to them for a kid who can barely handle being a 1C as it is.

My gut tells me he is similar to Kessel, he may not be "the guy", but on the right team where he anchors the second line, he could be an amazing 2C.

We don't need an amazing 2C.

Kessel or Kesler?

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

I read what I could understand - the last line.  The rest of it was incoherent.  I think you were meaning to talk about Ryan Kesler, but ended up talking about Phil Kessel.  Kessel only plays wing.

'I'll give you more time, you'll get it.

12 hours ago, Euro_Twins said:

Kessel or Kesler?

Kessel.....I know Kessel is a winger, Kesler is a C, the point I was making was that in TO Kessel was crucified for not carrying the team, while in Pittsburgh playing under Crosby/Malkin he has fit into his role perfectly and is adored. Has Kessel really done anything different in Pittsburgh? Probably not. The difference is the way he is being used, and the expectations from the fans which are now closer in line with his abilities. 

Put Duchene on the right team, he can be a great player, but we are just not that team right now. I would hate to trade a 1st round pick which could turn into a 1C or a 1D on a 6 million 2C who will be a UFA in 2 years.

Now would I trade Duchene for say Nielsen straight up, ya of course but that will never happen. Colorado wants a 1st rounder or stud prospects.

I have a feeling that Holland is waiting to sign him until he gets the best offer he can for Sheahan. If AA signs now for $2M and we are forced to trade someone, we may not get a return that's worth anything. 

I want AA signed for sure, but we don't HAVE to sign him before the season starts. But if we did, we'd HAVE to move someone and our hands would be tied into accepting whatever someone offers for Sheahan to become compliant...or waive him and lose him for nothing. 

Right now, it seems, we are in control of our return. Hold on until the offer becomes worth it. Not until we are forced to accept a 7th rounder. Pitt wants him, they just have to show how much they do. I say a 3rd in 18 and a 2nd in 19 for Sheahan. Then give AA 2yrs, $2.5M per. Give him top 6 minutes to prove he can score against better talent, then reward him after.

8 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

You know Kessel is not a 2C in Pittsburgh, right?  Malkin is the 2C.  Kessel plays wing.

He's not comparing the positions, he's comparing the situation between the two players. He clarified that in his post that you quoted. Go troll somewhere else. 

Enough of this AA drama, just go play in Russia already. AA will bolt in 2 years anyway, IF Blashill is still the head coach which I am sure he will be and Ken Holland will  still be here as well I am sure. 

It's insane to me that there are people who are angry with AA for holding out here.  He's worth more than 1.9 million per year, and that's all our organization is willing to offer him.  Every other team in the league would offer him 2.25-3.0 million.  We can't, or won't, because our GM handed out terrible contracts to other players.  It's not AA's job to take less than he's worth to bail out Ken Holland.  It blows my mind that a guy with his offensive talent is being offered Luke Glendening money, and people are acting like AA is a prima donna for not accepting it.  There is not excuse what so ever for the organization to be hard balling this kid right now.  They've all but ensured he's going to walk as a free agent now.

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

It's insane to me that there are people who are angry with AA for holding out here.  He's worth more than 1.9 million per year, and that's all our organization is willing to offer him.  Every other team in the league would offer him 2.25-3.0 million.  We can't, or won't, because our GM handed out terrible contracts to other players.  It's not AA's job to take less than he's worth to bail out Ken Holland.  It blows my mind that a guy with his offensive talent is being offered Luke Glendening money, and people are acting like AA is a prima donna for not accepting it.  There is not excuse what so ever for the organization to be hard balling this kid right now.  They've all but ensured he's going to walk as a free agent now.

Well, the argument goes, if they give AA $2.5 mil, what do they have to pay him on his next deal?  What do they have to pay Larkin and Mantha?  You have to control costs for younger players.  So that you can give grinders approaching their 30th birthday big contracts, and vet free agents that might help you squeak in as the 8th seed contracts.

4 hours ago, kjw25 said:

Enough of this AA drama, just go play in Russia already. AA will bolt in 2 years anyway, IF Blashill is still the head coach which I am sure he will be and Ken Holland will  still be here as well I am sure. 

Honestly it would be the best decision for him. Can't believe the Wings thought they could still offset cap problems by low balling young players like this. 

just trade the guy because there is no way he stays after all of this. 

59 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Honestly it would be the best decision for him. Can't believe the Wings thought they could still offset cap problems by low balling young players like this. 

just trade the guy because there is no way he stays after all of this. 

I don't think this has anything to do with the cap situation, I think it's about not creating a precedent in regards to RFA's. We only have around $966,000 to spend and Holland has offered AA I believe 1-9-2.1mil meaning he obviously will make a move once he gets AA signed. 

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I see where you are coming from with the first sentence, but what makes you put him at 2.25-3mil? I am not even arguing you, just wondering what your comparable's are. 

8 hours ago, kipwinger said:

If every other team in the league would offer him $2.25-3M, they would have by now with an offer sheet. Like has been mentioned, RFA's (especially ones without arbitration) have very little leverage. You can't crack because a young player is demanding more money. It sets a bad precedent in future negotiations. I think Athanasiou would far exceed any contract he ends up signing, but that's the way bridge contracts should work. Winnipeg didn't cave last year with Trouba, and they ended up agreeing on a 2 year deal. AA would be smart to do the same. Trouba ended up missing the first quarter of the season. Hopefully that isn't the case with Athanasiou...