• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

59 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

AA needs to understand that he, and his agent have no leverage here - they never had.

Take a 1, or 2 yr deal, and get on with your NHL career.

He’ll come around. Unless he truly wants to lose (more) money and not play NHL hockey for a season all to try and make the Olympic team, consisting of who knows who at this point. Hard to buy that. He’s running out of excuses. 

His agent has worked out other deals for young RFAs with the same amount of experience and production for roughly the same amount, so I’m sure he’s told AA to take the money already, and that he has zero leverage. It’s all him at this point.

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I see what you did there.

For what its worth, Spector is reporting that the Habs are interested in AA. So Galchenyuk? I would link if I knew how.

Holland did say he wouldn’t trade him for anyone but a top 4 D or similar type of young forward. Possible.

9 hours ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Bring on the Rumors!

Per Eklund:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Athanasiou-Situation-Could-Be-Resolved-SoonIslanders/1/88083

It really doesn't appear that Athanasiou will be signing with the Red Wings or in the KHL I am told...there is a possibility he could sign a short term deal in the Swiss league though...one that would let him out should his NHL situation become more clear...all of this is very fluid according to those familiar with the situation...

Montreal is involved, but for now appears more interested in Duchene and seeing that one through...The Kings, Devils and Senators are all interested....but the real team to look out for here may be...The Islanders....

Sources tell me Garth LOVES this kid and has called several times to keep up on his status.

I know its Eklund, so....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Montreal-Stepping-Up-Search-for-Help-Who-are-they-talking-to/1/88122

Talking to sources this morning and the Habs have talked to four teams about getting help on the offensive end of things...Colorado, Las Vegas, Detroit and Tampa.....update this evening...

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

Some Oilers fans are asking an interesting question: Do the Oilers actually have real scoring depth?

http://lowetide.ca/2017/10/15/broken-arrow-2/#comment-675882

With Draisaitl currently concussed, the Oilers arguably have a serious need for a high-skill scoring winger. Even with Draisaitl in the lineup, they arguably have a serious need for a high-skill scoring winger. (Assuming the organization wants to make the absolute most of McDavid's final ELC year.)

Mantha and Athanasiou have small but passionate fan clubs in Oilers Land:

https://www.coppernblue.com/2017/1/6/14193634/trade-for-this-guy-andreas-athanasiou

https://www.coppernblue.com/2017/10/14/16477712/ottawa-senators-edmonton-oilers-recap-disaster-6-1-yamamoto-first-point-nhl-news-scroes-sad-oilers#448096031 (lmao)

Athanasiou is a malcontent, and it's probably fair to say that kind of thing is anathema to Peter Chiarelli, AKA the guy who booted Tyler Seguin out of Boston. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Chiarelli kicks the tires on AA and other Wings forwards.

Holland may or may not have inquired about Nugent-Hopkins a few months ago. I remember some rumormongering site said he was asking about Nugent-Hopkins, but I can't remember which site it was.

Edited by Dabura

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

Some Oilers fans are asking an interesting question: Do the Oilers actually have real scoring depth?

With Draisaitl currently concussed, the Oilers arguably have a serious need for a high-skill scoring winger. Even with Draisaitl in the lineup, they arguably have a serious need for a high-skill scoring winger. (Assuming the organization wants to make the absolute most of McDavid's final ELC year.)

Mantha and Athanasiou have small but passionate fan clubs in Oilers Land:

Athanasiou is a malcontent, and it's probably fair to say that kind of thing is anathema to Peter Chiarelli, AKA the guy who booted Tyler Seguin out of Boston. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if Chiarelli kicks the tires on AA and other Wings forwards.

Holland may or may not have inquired about Nugent-Hopkins a few months ago. I remember some rumormongering site said he was asking about Nugent-Hopkins, but I can't remember which site it was.

I'm not sure the Oilers have a serious need for a high-skill scoring winger when they have Jesse Puljujarvi down in the American League. I'm also not sure Nugent-Hopkins (2nd line winger) would be the best fit for this team right now. Zetterberg is showing that he's still amongst the best centers in the league, Larkin is starting to prove himself as a very solid 2C, and Nielsen is also a solid option as a 2C. We'd also have to give up more than just Athanasiou (pick and / or prospect) to get RNH. If we're trading AA, I think it needs to be for a top 4 defenseman that can immediately improve our blue line, first and foremost. I know McPhee has said time and time again that Theodore isn't available, but if we threw out an offer he couldn't refuse, I think he'd have to bite. If there truly aren't any top defensemen available (I don't believe that), then I'd look to trade for a center prospect (under 20) with top 6 (possibly 1C) potential. Cody Glass is another player I'd target, but again, Vegas probably wouldn't be willing to move him either. Man, Vegas have the potential to be really good in the very near future...

37 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not sure the Oilers have a serious need for a high-skill scoring winger when they have Jesse Puljujarvi down in the American League. I'm also not sure Nugent-Hopkins (2nd line winger) would be the best fit for this team right now. Zetterberg is showing that he's still amongst the best centers in the league, Larkin is starting to prove himself as a very solid 2C, and Nielsen is also a solid option as a 2C. We'd also have to give up more than just Athanasiou (pick and / or prospect) to get RNH. If we're trading AA, I think it needs to be for a top 4 defenseman that can immediately improve our blue line, first and foremost. I know McPhee has said time and time again that Theodore isn't available, but if we threw out an offer he couldn't refuse, I think he'd have to bite. If there truly aren't any top defensemen available (I don't believe that), then I'd look to trade for a center prospect (under 20) with top 6 (possibly 1C) potential. Cody Glass is another player I'd target, but again, Vegas probably wouldn't be willing to move him either. Man, Vegas have the potential to be really good in the very near future...

Oh, believe me, I want no part of Nugent-Hopkins. Just noting that Holland was rumored to have shown interest in him.

The reason why the Oilers might go for Athanasiou when they have Puljujarvi is that this is the last year of McDavid's ELC and they ought to be trying to make the most of that value and gearing up for a serious run this season. Puljujarvi is really good, but AA is older and more experienced and more proven at the NHL level. AA could step in right now and make an impact.

14 minutes ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Im starting to warm up to the idea of trading AA for a young top 4 Dman. However, I would argue that it appears our beloved Wings already have many young Dmen in the AHL waiting to get the call-up. Just worth consideration.

We have a few defensemen in Grand Rapids, but none that are legit top 4 NHL defensemen. I still think Sproul could be a decent top 4 if given the opportunity, but he's yet to prove himself. Hicketts could develop into a top 4 defenseman, but likely more of a 3rd pairing guy. Russo is a borderline NHLer, possibly career AHLer. Same goes for Lashoff, McIlrath, and Renouf. Hronek and Saarijarvi may have top 4 potential, but aren't close to being ready (2 years away). Hronek has played one of the Griffins first three games and Saarijarvi was demoted to Toledo.

If we're trading Athanasiou, it needs to be for a legit top 4 defenseman or high end prospect.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

We have a few defensemen in Grand Rapids, but none that are legit top 4 NHL defensemen. I still think Sproul could be a decent top 4 if given the opportunity, but he's yet to prove himself. Hicketts could develop into a top 4 defenseman, but likely more of a 3rd pairing guy. Russo is a borderline NHLer, possibly career AHLer. Same goes for Lashoff, McIlrath, and Renouf. Hronek and Saarijarvi may have top 4 potential, but aren't close to being ready (2 years away). Hronek has played one of the Griffins first three games and Saarijarvi was demoted to Toledo.

If we're trading Athanasiou, it needs to be for a legit top 4 defenseman or high end prospect.

Doesn't sound like you have much faith in our D prospect pipeline...

1 hour ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Doesn't sound like you have much faith in our D prospect pipeline...

Nah, not really. I have faith in Cholowski becoming a top 4 (hopefully top 2). I'm hoping Hicketts can become a top 4. I think any of Hronek, Saarijarvi, Kotkansalo or Lindstrom could become top 4 defensemen. Maybe one even surprises and becomes a top 2, but I doubt it. Other than that, not much to get excited about in my opinion. I like Sambrook, but I think he's a bottom pairing defenseman. Maybe someone like Setkov, exceeds expectations. We have a ton of defensive depth, but no legit top pairing guys... A need that desperately needs to be addressed in next year's draft and / or vita trade...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Nah, not really. I have faith in Cholowski becoming a top 4 (hopefully top 2). I'm hoping Hicketts can become a top 4. I think any of Hronek, Saarijarvi, Kotkansalo or Lindstrom could become top 4 defensemen. Maybe one even surprises and becomes a top 2, but I doubt it. Other than that, not much to get excited about in my opinion. I like Sambrook, but I think he's a bottom pairing defenseman. Maybe someone like Setkov, exceeds expectations. We have a ton of defensive depth, but no legit top pairing guys... A need that desperately needs to be addressed in next year's draft and / or vita trade...

You watch a load of GR games I take it?

49 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Until Holland retires, it's irrelevant.  Hicketts has performed at every level and had a great camp this year.  They cut him in favor of the crap DeKeyser, Ericsson, and Ouellet.  A lot of trades should have happened by now to make room for new blood.  But our idiot GM doesnt know what he is doing.

How would bringing up Hicketts help him or the team?

I think his development is best served in the minors on a winning team. 

Why try to marginally improve our backend for this season?

Most people wanting Hicketts up, also want us to get a high pick this year. If that is an improvement, why would you do it?

20 minutes ago, Son of a Wing said:

Ok but are we not focusing on the long-term at this point?

Is giving a good, young player NHL experience not beneficial to the team long-term? He was consistently the best dman on the team all preseason long. That should have at worst earned him a look to start the season. 

Wanna know what's bad for the team long term? Filling roster spots with useless "veterans" when there are better, younger players ready to make the jump. Players who have no future with the team are playing in favour of those who do. 

55 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Pretty much.

I don't know enough about Setkov, Lindstrom, Kotkansalo to have a strong opinion about them at this time.

I'm cautiously excited about Hicketts, Hronek, Cholowski, Saarijarvi; there's a lot of talent there between those four players. But, yeah, I wouldn't count on any one of those four becoming That Defenseman we so desperately need or even a really good #2.

We might be the only organization in the league that doesn't have a young/prime-years top-four-caliber defenseman on the roster or ready to make the jump from the farm to the big show. IMO, we have failed spectacularly on that front. To me, it almost beggars belief. Accordingly, I'm not sure there's an organization that needs a Rasmus Dahlin more than we do.

If Green doesn't re-sign (it's almost a given that he won't) and we don't make any significant additions, our 2018 opening night D group could be the stuff of nightmares.

16 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Is giving a good, young player NHL experience not beneficial to the team long-term? He was consistently the best dman on the team all preseason long. That should have at worst earned him a look to start the season. 

Wanna know what's bad for the team long term? Filling roster spots with useless "veterans" when there are better, younger players ready to make the jump. Players who have no future with the team are playing in favour of those who do. 

So what would you do with Ericsson? Pay someone future assets to take him? We can't afford to bury and replace him. It's not that simple. Not to mention we don't have anyone who can replace Ericsson's shut down role. He's not a scrub, he's just overpaid. 

24 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Pretty much.

I don't know enough about Setkov, Lindstrom, Kotkansalo to have a strong opinion about them at this time.

I'm cautiously excited about Hicketts, Hronek, Cholowski, Saarijarvi; there's a lot of talent there between those four players. But, yeah, I wouldn't count on any one of those four becoming That Defenseman we so desperately need or even a really good #2.

We might be the only organization in the league that doesn't have a young/prime-years top-four-caliber defenseman on the roster or ready to make the jump from the farm to the big show. IMO, we have failed spectacularly on that front. To me, it almost beggars belief. Accordingly, I'm not sure there's an organization that needs a Rasmus Dahlin more than we do.

If Green doesn't re-sign (it's almost a given that he won't) and we don't make any significant additions, our 2018 opening night D group could be the stuff of nightmares.

We haven't drafted a Top4 Dman since Kronwall... 18 years ago...