• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

You watch a load of GR games I take it?

Usually yes. But I've only watched two periods of one game so far this season... Partly because I've been busy, partly because Svechnikov and Bertuzzi are injured, leaving Hicketts and Sproul the only two I'm interested in, and to a lesser extent Holmstrom... Hopefully Svech and Bert will be back soon, and Hronek can solidify a spot on the back end. 

1 hour ago, Son of a Wing said:

So what would you do with Ericsson? Pay someone future assets to take him? We can't afford to bury and replace him. It's not that simple. Not to mention we don't have anyone who can replace Ericsson's shut down role. He's not a scrub, he's just overpaid. 

I'd trade Ericsson (retain around $1.5M) along with a mid round pick, for a late(r) round pick. Call up Hicketts. In my opinion, that improves this defense now, without hurting us too much in the future. I do think there are teams out there that would be interested in Ericsson at that price, because like you said, "he's not a scrub, he's just overpaid". He has been playing on our "top pair" the past two games, so maybe we're just trying to up his trade value? wishful thinking...

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'd trade Ericsson (retain around $1.5M) along with a mid round pick, for a late(r) round pick. Call up Hicketts. In my opinion, that improves this defense now, without hurting us too much in the future. I do think there are teams out there that would be interested in Ericsson at that price, because like you said, "he's not a scrub, he's just overpaid". He has been playing on our "top pair" the past two games, so maybe we're just trying to up his trade value? wishful thinking...

I have gone on record in saying that I dont think "loyalty" is a bad thing like some here believe, and while I dont love it in this instance, I get it. I think that Z, Kronwall, and E have been promised 2 more years together (most likely a promise to Z).

If Holland were to trade E, and trade/scratch Kronwall, I could see Z no longer enjoying it here and just retiring which long term would screw us. Its much better for us if Z steps down in a couple years like Hossa/Franzen and goes on LTIR which I realize is not a given, but with his past medical issues, I'm sure will be something that is able to be done.

I'm just picturing a 39 year old Z who has had multiple surgeries, and is likely in pain, and find it unlikely that a doctor will tell him, "nah, you should be playing, I cant vouch that you are hurt and could cause permanent damage if you play 4 more years into your 40's".

Pure speculation and I admit that, but my gut feeling.

Where I think the disconnect lies, is people think Holland is "loyal" to E, I think its all about being loyal to the captain.

Edited by kliq

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Usually yes. But I've only watched two periods of one game so far this season... Partly because I've been busy, partly because Svechnikov and Bertuzzi are injured, leaving Hicketts and Sproul the only two I'm interested in, and to a lesser extent Holmstrom... Hopefully Svech and Bert will be back soon, and Hronek can solidify a spot on the back end. 

What happened to Svechnikov? I didn't know he was injured.

15 minutes ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Got kneed in the head during one of the preseason games. I don't know if they're officially calling it a concussion, but it's probably safe to say it's a concussion.

5 hours ago, kliq said:

I have gone on record in saying that I dont think "loyalty" is a bad thing like some here believe, and while I dont love it in this instance, I get it. I think that Z, Kronwall, and E have been promised 2 more years together (most likely a promise to Z).

Who came up with this? Or are we thinking hypothetically? 

42 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Who came up with this? Or are we thinking hypothetically? 

Just my gut feeling, though I 100% admit that I could be dead wrong. Zero proof to back it up. 

It does make sense though, and as long as Kronwall and E are NHL level D, I see them staying as long as Z is here.

I always felt like the other Swedes are closer to each other than Z is to them. Just going off Franzen’s instagram, Official Red Wings snapchat though.

Back when Dats was still here the official red wings snapchat always showed the two of them playing soccer together alone in the locker room. Didn’t really see Swedes with em. Sometimes Kronwall used to workout with D and Z though. 

Franzen posts pics of E sometimes and Kronwall. Never really any pics of Z hanging out with them.

Edited by kickazz

7 hours ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

Got kneed in the head during one of the preseason games. I don't know if they're officially calling it a concussion, but it's probably safe to say it's a concussion.

It's been reported as a "neck strain". I haven't heard much on it since the injury a few weeks ago. Not sure when he's due back...

On 10/16/2017 at 5:41 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We haven't drafted a Top4 Dman since Kronwall... 18 years ago...

I had to look this up for myself, not because I don't trust you, but because it just seemed too pathetic. Kronwall was drafted in 2000. At first I thought Fischer? He was a legit top 4 and would possibly still be playing in Detroit if not for the heart issues. But he was drafted the year before. Then I remembered Bykov who was drafted the year after Kronwall. I don't remember that much about him, he only played in the NHL for the one year before going back to Russia. But I think he played in the top 4, with Lids maybe? But so did Dandenault, Lids made everyone look better. Would he have been a top 4? Not sure. Then there's Quincey in 2003. A borderline 2nd pair defensemen? Not trying to nitpick here. Regardless, its really sad. Has any other team been so bad at drafting Dmen since 2000? Can you imagine what it would have been like to have Lids, Kronner, Fischer, Stuart and Bykov all  manning the blueline at the same time? Instead we had the likes of Quincey, Smith, Kindl, Meech and Lebda.

15 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

He's more than a scrub.  He's a steaming pile of donkey crap.  Are you not watching the games?

Yeah who else is going to routinely give the puck away, make horrible passes and take stupid penalties all while making 4+ million? 

On 16/10/2017 at 8:29 PM, kliq said:

I'm just picturing a 39 year old Z who has had multiple surgeries, and is likely in pain, and find it unlikely that a doctor will tell him, "nah, you should be playing, I cant vouch that you are hurt and could cause permanent damage if you play 4 more years into your 40's".

Pure speculation and I admit that, but my gut feeling

From everything I've heard, his pain was only an issue before his back surgery, and has been fine since. 

11 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Man, speaking of having a future top 2-3 D, must be nice to be New Jersey, they have TWO of them in Santini and Butcher! 

Just about every team in the league has top 2-3 defensemen (even us). What a lot of teams lack is the elite number one.

I'll admit to knowing very little about Santini, but what about his game convinces you that he'll be a top 2-3 defenseman? His numbers are very underwhelming...

I was very skeptical about Butcher, but he's off to an unbelievable start, exceeding everyone's expectations. Can he keep it up over 82 games, season after season though? We'll see.

If I were AA, I'd be firing that garbage agent ASAP...smh

Not only does he have no leverage. But that KHL team already took their offer off the table. And he's losing 10k each day he remains unsigned. Oh and if he makes the dumb decision to play in Switzerland, he'll make significantly less money.

Edited by TheDetroitRedWings

32 minutes ago, TheDetroitRedWings said:

If I were AA, I'd be firing that garbage agent ASAP...smh

Not only does he have no leverage. But that KHL team already took their offer off the table. And he's losing 10k each day he remains unsigned. Oh and if he makes the dumb decision to play in Switzerland, he'll make significantly less money.

That's what's so stupid. He's holding out for like 500K give or take, but he's going to lose a lot more than that if he continues to hold out. His play has completely backfired and my opinion of him, and I'm sure the organizations as well, is souring on him by the day.

EDIT: Here's the article I think you are referring to

If the article is correct he's already lost $140,000 if you start counting the days beginning at the season opener. Any compensation advantages he hoped to gain in a deal will be gone in about a month from now.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

2 hours ago, Dabura said:

At this point, I don't think the agent is the one who's driving this.

39 minutes ago, kliq said:

Agreed, at the end of the day an agent only advises/negotiates, its the player who ultimately makes the decision.

So whats his play then? Stupid and arrogant or olympics?

Maybe AA is some sort of sneaky genius. He is getting more headlines as a holdout now than he would have ever gotten if he had just signed. People outside of Detroit actually know how to pronounce his name now. His name is all over the hockey internet sites. So is he really, really dumb or just really, really, smart?

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Maybe AA is some sort of sneaky genius. He is getting more headlines as a holdout now than he would have ever gotten if he had just signed. People outside of Detroit actually know how to pronounce his name now. His name is all over the hockey internet sites. So is he really, really dumb or just really, really, smart?

I don't think there's anything smart about what he's doing. He's cutting off his nose to spite his face. His brand is fast becoming "bratty malcontent."

6 hours ago, Dabura said:

I don't think there's anything smart about what he's doing. He's cutting off his nose to spite his face. His brand is fast becoming "bratty malcontent."

Exactly if he had just taken a 1 or 2 year deal like he was offered he could still be a millionaire at 23. Then in a couple years he could get a huge pay raise if he works his ads off, for loyalty it would probably be even more than we'd like. Now he is practicing in Switzerland, not playing for anyone, not making ANY money, Holland called his bluff, and he's the one suffering and hurting his nhl career.