• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

So, 58% more isn't "a lot?"

If you spin it like that it makes it sound like a lot. But $2 million vs $3 million in the grand scheme of things for AA will be pennies by the time he gets his actual contract in the NHL.

2 hours ago, F.Michael said:

Just think of the benefits of playing in Russia...

Skinny hot chicks (most have teeth)...Cheap booze, and wild parties...Get to mingle with members of Russian organize crime...And above all - you get to fly on suspect aircraft with pilots who are either intoxicated, or hungover...

Who doesn't want to live by the seats of their pants?

But it's so boooooooooooooring.

I've been there, back when the sister worked in Moscow. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Yeah, 3 kids with the same agent being among the last 9 RFAs to sign (though Bennett has now been signed) is a bit telling. 

1 hour ago, joesuffP said:

Idk if AA ends up signing with the Wings this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Would be an ice cold bluff call by Holland tho

I think this is another case of Wings fans being spoiled by success. While the KHL threat is somewhat unique for a non-Russian player, long and/or contentious RFA negotiations are fairly commonplace around the league. But the Wings haven't had a real interesting RFA problem that I can think of since Fedorov 20 years ago. (Dekeyser took a while to get signed a few years ago, but I don't recall any time when we weren't confident that it would get done.) Makes the whole thing seem worse because we aren't used to it.

With 2nd tier line mates, 3/4 of a season, and bad minutes.  Give AA 75 games at 20 minutes a night with Z and Mantha, we are talking about 4 mil being a steal for this guy.  Holland had no business signing Daley before wrapping up AA.  That is a direct slap in the face.  Should always take care of system guys first before outside of system guys when dollar amounts / value are close to even.

Completely agree. 

Edited by ShanahanMan

People are overly excited about AA. I mean if he was 19 and had that rookie season I'd probably care a lot more but theirs a reason he wasn't good in the AHL and it took him until he was 23 to play in the NHL. He's no bust but rationalizing overpaying him as a RFA because he threatened to go to the KHL is a joke and your opinion is wrong. It's just objectively very stupid. No GM would do this. Especially when we keep his rights regardless

Edited by joesuffP

5 hours ago, amato said:

maybe(hopefully) a sign AA has decided against the KHL? They could always make another trade of course but here's to hoping.  

Not sure why more people aren't talking about this. AK Bars was the team offering 3 million to AA. With this move it appears that offer is probably off the table.

AA will sign for the 1.9

59 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not sure why more people aren't talking about this. AK Bars was the team offering 3 million to AA. With this move it appears that offer is probably off the table.

AA will sign for the 1.9

I'll say low $2M range... $2.2M for 2 years.

12 hours ago, gcom007 said:

I’m no tax expert, but where does the “no taxes” info come from? I feel like I’ve read it and seen it enough that if what you’re saying is true, someone would’ve said something by now. Or perhaps it is true, but there are other factors? Perhaps it’s $3 million guaranteed and any tax burden accumulated is covered? Again, no expert, and I don’t follow KHL contracts very closely at all, but I don’t feel like agents and many in the press would continue on with saying “tax free” money if there wasn’t more to it.

I guess I’m just saying that I don’t think any players are going to read this and go “oh snap!” They’d be pretty pissed at their agents at this point if so.

Its true for for a lot of European countries. Finland. Czech Republic, etc. So for European players it makes sense to play in Russia over the US or Canada if you are worried about paying loads of taxes. Even American players will get tax relief because they will not pay combined US/Russian taxes over their effective US tax rate (IE if they pay 15% in Russia and their tax rate in the US is 25% they will have to pay the US Government the difference, 10%).

Edited by Shaman

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

With 2nd tier line mates, 3/4 of a season, and bad minutes.  Give AA 75 games at 20 minutes a night with Z and Mantha, we are talking about 4 mil being a steal for this guy.  Holland had no business signing Daley before wrapping up AA.  That is a direct slap in the face.  Should always take care of system guys first before outside of system guys when dollar amounts / value are close to even.

You can argue that we shouldn't have signed Daley, but not really the order of signings. The free agency period opens early and most desirable players are gone pretty much right away so you have to sign UFAs right away. It's very normal that RFAs get dealt with later. Anyway, I'm sure these negotiations got started quite a while ago and I doubt it was treated as an afterthought or whatever. 

4 hours ago, joesuffP said:

People are overly excited about AA. I mean if he was 19 and had that rookie season I'd probably care a lot more but theirs a reason he wasn't good in the AHL and it took him until he was 23 to play in the NHL. He's no bust but rationalizing overpaying him as a RFA because he threatened to go to the KHL is a joke and your opinion is wrong. It's just objectively very stupid. No GM would do this. Especially when we keep his rights regardless

I've got to do some fact checking on this. AA was 22 last year (apparently hish birfday is in Aug) and he was a regular (minus playoffs) in the second half the year before, so he really made the NHL at age 21. Compared to the norm for Red Wings prospects that is fast.

But, yeah don't overpay the RFA. No matter what people think of his future, his NHL record so far is what dictates this contract.  

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

The problem isn't signing Daley. That was an excellent move. The problem is stockpiling worthless talent on overpaid contracts and never making a trade when needed. AA, Mantha and Larkin are the future. I'm not sure why we need to keep treating them all like garbage and telling them to leave if they don't fit Holland's crappy old world negotiating style. I hope AA signs for 2 years $3Mill per and Holland is forced to trade Sheahan or Nyquist.

11 hours ago, kickazz said:

Not really

$1.1 million more isn't a lot more?  If you have 2 job offers for the same position, one pays $40k a year and the other pays $60k a year, would you take the lower offer because $20k "isn't that much less?"

10 hours ago, kickazz said:

If you spin it like that it makes it sound like a lot. But $2 million vs $3 million in the grand scheme of things for AA will be pennies by the time he gets his actual contract in the NHL.

he plays there for $3 mil for a year, Holland either clears cap space from him next year or trades him, or he plays another year or two for similar money.  He's still ahead by over a million dollars.

2 years at $1.9 Mil,+ $2.8 (at a guess) the following year=$6.6 mil

1 year in Russia +2 years at $2.5 mil in the NHL=$8 mil

2 years in Russia at $3 mil/year+ 1 year at $2.8 mil=$8.8 mil

3 years in Russia at $3 mil a year-$9 mil.

This is, of course, assuming he does well there and is able to get a contract around $2.8 mil when he comes back.  There is no way he's worse off playing a year in Russia assuming he plays well.

6 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Only a handful of elite level players come close to 20 minute a night, and just playing more, against better players, doesn't always lead to significantly more scoring.  He should be around 15 minutes a night on a scoring line.

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Whats the cost of living near each job?

Both a 25 minute drive from where you live now.

Edited by DickieDunn

1 minute ago, DickieDunn said:

Only a handful of elite level players come close to 20 minute a night, and just playing more, against better players, doesn't always lead to significantly more scoring.  He should be around 15 minutes a night on a scoring line.

Both a 25 minute drive from where you live now.

Hows each commute?

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Nvm on the klinkhammer business. They cut Stefan Elliot for him, who was already filling a foreigner spot.

Also Morin and Frattin were cut from their KHL teams.

Seems more like teams are making room for AA. Athansiou to the KHL confirmed

Not sure where you're getting your information from but their 5 foreigner spots are currently taken up by Azevedo, Sekac, Lander, Ohtamaa, and now Klinkhammer. 

Stefan Elliot has nothing to do with it.

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

$1.1 million more isn't a lot more?  If you have 2 job offers for the same position, one pays $40k a year and the other pays $60k a year, would you take the lower offer because $20k "isn't that much less?"

No. AA could get better sponsors and opportunities in North America and could just as easily make up the difference. So no the $1 million isn't worth it to go to a lesser league while he could increase his stock and get legit sponsors in the better league.

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

No. AA could get better sponsors and opportunities in North America and could just as easily make up the difference. So no the $1 million isn't worth it to go to a lesser league while he could increase his stock and get legit sponsors in the better league.

guys like AA don't get sponsorship deals