• Recently Browsing   1 member

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Rumor

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, kliq said:

I'll be honest with you Frank, I think this is just wishful thinking from the anti-Holland crowd. Unless he steps down, I dont see Holland going anywhere. If Chri Illitch is trusting Al Avila in a re-build, he will surely trust Ken Holland.

He doesn't have to if Chris doesn't extend his contract he would be gone or even if he did Holland could still get fired. It will be very interesting to see how he handles all of that before the draft if he is happy with the current state then Holland would be way down the list of problems and Chris would shoot to the top but I believe he is smart and hopefully cares as much as his dad did if not oh well.. 

AA can make more in 1 year of KHL hockey than in this whole bridge contract or whatever the Wings had planned for him. 

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

He doesn't have to if Chris doesn't extend his contract he would be gone or even if he did Holland could still get fired. It will be very interesting to see how he handles all of that before the draft if he is happy with the current state then Holland would be way down the list of problems and Chris would shoot to the top but I believe he is smart and hopefully cares as much as his dad did if not oh well.. 

AA can make more in 1 year of KHL hockey than in this whole bridge contract or whatever the Wings had planned for him. 

Fire, not extend, etc. my point still stands. I dont think Illitch goes with someone other then Holland unless Holland steps down or wants to go into another position.

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

What makes you think this? Have you heard anything on what kind of contract he was offered by the unknown KHL team?

PVD had a great post a few pages back on what sort of contract we can guess he might have been offered to play in the KHL.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:15 AM, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Only 3 guys in the KHL make 4 mill or more (Kovy, Dats, Voynov) so AA's offer wouldn't be that high. And only 7 guys make more than 2 million so I can't imagine his KHL offer was very large really. 2.5-3 as the highest possibility to me, but that is really just a guess.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/khl-contract-salaries-highest-paid-datsyuk-radulov-kovalchuk-kontinental-hockey-league/

Nichushkin bolted from the Dallas Stars last year in similar situation and he only made 1.21 million in the KHL. Both players had 29 pt. seasons before negotiating, but AA's goal total (18) is double what Nichushkin's so I'm not how you should weigh that compareable.

The only real hint at Kenny's offer, is when he said he expects us to be "slightly over the cap" if we sign AA. According to Detroit new's article on the KHL offer, we're already 2.5 mill over. If we consider Franzen's LTIR cap relief (3.95 mill), then we at least know he's offering more than 1.45 million. I guess it all depends how you interpret "slightly over" to guess how much higher the offer would be.

But i look to the Sheahan deal. We signed Sheahan for 2.075 when he had an extra year in the NHL under his belt, but after a year when he had very similar stats (-4 goals). So I think that offer is around 2 mill. 

12 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

What makes you think this? Have you heard anything on what kind of contract he was offered by the unknown KHL team?

PVD had a great post a few pages back on what sort of contract we can guess he might have been offered to play in the KHL.

Here is the article http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/09/05/detroit-red-wings-andreas-athanasiou/632696001/

so: 3 million tax free plus Olympics vs low ball offers and no Olympics on a bottom five team 

Tough choice? Not really

look I don't think AA is that great but he is better than some of the beloved have beens on this team and it's not Ferris' or AA's job to help out here. 

if you are scenario is true and it very well could be just as likely as mine then the Wings would have a massive ownership problem simple as that and at that point I'd be looking to become a fan of team like Buffalo who's owner is like Mr. I 

Edited by frankgrimes

Decisions Decisions.

3 mi with no  taxes  for 1 yr

or 1.9 = 3.8 - taxes for 2 years

He is probably in the 40% bracket(assuming US Taxes) so 1.9 per year goes down to 1.14 per year so now he is underwater by 760K over 2 years vs KHL deal.

Hard to ignore leaving 380K on the table per year. Granted most members here would shrug their shoulders at that kind of loss and not be worried.....riiiiiight

I am going on the ledge and saying deal gets done for 2.2 for 2, 3 days before camp after AA goes to Russia to scout things. 

Edited by AtlantaHotWings
misspell

1 minute ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Decisions Decisions.

3 mi with no  taxes  for 1 yr

or 1.9 = 3.8 - taxes for 2 years

He is probably in the 40% bracket(assuming US Taxes) so 1.9 per year goes down to 1.14 so now he is underwater by 760K over 2 years. 

Hard to ignore leaving 380K on the table per year. Granted most members here would shrug their shoulders at that kind of loss and not be worried.....riiiiiight

I am going on the ledge and saying deal gets done for 2.2 for 2, 3 days before camp after AA goes to Russia to scout things. 

Since he's a Canadian resident, can't they collect some federal taxes on the money he earns in Russia?

1.25 is a low offer, but opening offers usually are. 1.9 is reasonable. 

I don't think it makes sense financially for him to go to the KHL for just 1 year at 3 mill. He'll make more than 3 when this 2 year deal is up. Over the 3 year period, then, he could end up making less. I guess if you're concerned with the olympics or immediate money then it could make sense, though. Still hope they're just trying get an extra 2-300 000 on the offer.

$3 mil tax free is a hell of a lot of money.  Between state, federal, medicare, social security, etc, it adds up quick.  I don't blame him for listening.

RE:Holland and Ilitch.  I've said it before, as long as the Wings are selling tickets and merchandise I don't think ownership will make a change in the front office.  At most they'll have Holland take the president job, promote from within, and Holland will "advise" the new GM, so it will remain status quo.

Dreger tweeted he's likely to go to KHL. I kind of like that Holland called his bluff. Let him play in the KHL and we'll keep his rights. More opportunity for Svech. 3M a year isn't fair market value for AA and that's the bottom line

11 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

Dreger tweeted he's likely to go to KHL. I kind of like that Holland called his bluff. Let him play in the KHL and we'll keep his rights. More opportunity for Svech. 3M a year isn't fair market value for AA and that's the bottom line

It's not a bluff if he actually does go because he then fullfills the intention, if he doesn't it would have been a bluff. Wheter AA is worth 3 mill per or not isn't the problem the way this organization is dealing with young players is while and if that doesn't change next year Detroit will not be a favorable destination new arena or not.

Overpaying an RFA who is the worst of the 3 RFA's is not a good place to start with these young players. AA wants more than his league comparables based on his KHL offer. A stupid GM would give in to these demands and then every RFA next contract begins at 3M. I say let him go. The man is a glorified Emerson Etem at this point if he doesn't develop

On 8/22/2017 at 8:41 PM, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Why would he want to go to Russia? 

Blashill

Half joking, but I will pretend to read AA's mind and I can easily see dread in playing for this guy another season (or half season more likely as his days as coach are numbered). No need to rehash it all, but Holland's actions play a part in this. As a result of the past few years of bungling contracts and a pathetic excuse for a coach, this not a promising team for a promising young forward. Oh, and why do we all assume he wants the Wings to match the KHL offer? I never thought that for a minute. I'm guessing a number around 2 will do it.

Edited by lwing

I don’t think anyone’s capable of really defending the situation that we’re in here. They talk about building from the draft and being smart and this and that. And yet AA is undeniably one of our better young players that we’ve drafted, when we haven’t drafted many very promising players, and there’s a very good chance he’ll be playing in Russia soon. The fact that the KHL has come up at all is pathetic. This team is mismanaged, plain and simple. It’s nothing new, but it is what it is. 

25 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

I don’t think anyone’s capable of really defending the situation that we’re in here. They talk about building from the draft and being smart and this and that. And yet AA is undeniably one of our better young players that we’ve drafted, when we haven’t drafted many very promising players, and there’s a very good chance he’ll be playing in Russia soon. The fact that the KHL has come up at all is pathetic. This team is mismanaged, plain and simple. It’s nothing new, but it is what it is. 

Of course that's why I think Chris will do something after this year. Just ride it out watch some teams that actually have promising young talent and hope for Dahlin or at least secure a top 4 pick. 

Edmonton and Toronto needed to see all the flaws till they acted maybe its the same with Detroit

AA's situation shows a lack of longterm thinking and therefore the wrong philosophy for a real rebuild

Edited by frankgrimes

20 minutes ago, gcom007 said:

But isn't it AA's agent fault for get the KHL involved? Haven't seen any evidence of AA being mistreated in these negotiations. 1.9 is a fair offer. I'd be happy with 2.25, but I think Holland is right to shun any consideration of the KHL offer since it would set a dangerous precedent. And since the agent brought it up Holland is in a hard place where he can really raise the offer without seeming to give in due to a KHL offer. It's possible the agent hurt the negotiations and maybe even the likelihood of getting the offer raised by doing this.

Not going to defend some of larger problems with the cap and some choices that got us there, but I think I can get out the trusty turd-polisher to see a bright side if AA goes to the KHL.

On the one hand, we'll probably suck, but on the other hand, we'll probably suck and maybe get a shot at Dahlin or Svechnikov.

Also, AA would come back and get the same deal they're offering now so we'll have him as a cheaper player for year longer into the rebuild which might help.

But I'm pretty concerned about this - mostly for whether he'll want to sign on long term in the future or if this somehow bitters the relationship. 

The relationship is only bitter while Holland and Blashill are here. That being said, $1.9M is a helluva raise from $600k. Do it for 2 years until more cap is available. Sounds easy, but I'm sure it's not.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/09/high_probability_red_wings_and.html

Here's what Babaev said about Athanasiou's future in an Instagram post that was translated from Russian:

"I represent Athanasiou in Russia, we are currently considering different options, but we can say that with a high probability Andreas will continue his career in the KHL and he is ready to go to Russia. Will this be AK Bars, as they write in I can not confirm or disprove this information, but now Athanasiou is only studying the options, collecting information about the cities, including consulting with Pavel Datsyuk, who is familiar with the joint performances for Detroit. Most clubs are occupied by legionary positions. Athanasiou is a player of such caliber that he will find a place in any case. There are no such hockey players on the market and are not expected in the near future."