• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

It could be a negotiation ploy however if Holland calls his bluff, I see AA going to Russia, think about it, more money, more playing time, and we he gets back he could go to another team that uses him correctly and does not have a s***ty coach.....if he leaves I will no longer be a fan of this team  until Holland and Trashill are fired.  Good thing we have abby and E on this team. Ridiculous  

Just keep believing Holland knows what he's doing. Here's yet another example of him handing out too much money and possibly losing part of the future. Nyquist, too much, Tatar, too much, Helm, too much, the list goes on. One of the goalies should've been traded when they had value. No way E should even be sniffing the LCA. Time has come for Holland to be fired. Enough is enough. He screwed the draft pick, he handed out too much money to Tatar, he refused to buy anyone out, he refused to trade anyone. He just keeps believing that He has hand over the players, but it's the players who have hand. Holland is a hunk of junk.

Holland: we're the Red Wings, nobody would dare leave us! I'll just make sure all my vets are happy and players will come flocking in! Who wouldn't take a discount to play with Z and E and Kronwall and Nyquist and Helm and Howard. When their 2008 selfs show up, everyone will see!

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Blashill played Drew Miller over him.  

Let that sink in.

Nope

Average Time on Ice: AA: 13:28  Miller: 10:17

Miller played least amount of any of our regulars and was waived. should have been gone a year earlier, but not a blash favourite this past year.

I think it's understandable that these negotiations are having trouble. I was checking out a hockeywriter's article on AA's contract and it has a chart on recent deals and the comparative PPG.  

Andreas Athanasiou ??? ??? 0.43
Ryan Dzingel $1.8 million 2 years 0.37
Radek Faksa $2.2 million 3 years 0.36
Tobias Rieder $2.25 million 2 years 0.35

http://thehockeywriters.com/detroit-red-wings-andreas-athanasious-contract-usage/

AA is above all these guys. And his goals per 60 min was 12th in the league (above Tarasenko, Forsberg, Laine, etc). I could see an agent arguing these comparisons and put the number at or near 3 million. The other side of the argument is that AA had very sheltered minutes. Everyone's been expecting a number near 2 million, but I can see why this one wouldn't be as cut and dry.

I'm guessing the KHL contract is just a negotiating tactic.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

1 hour ago, ash11 said:

It could be a negotiation ploy however if Holland calls his bluff, I see AA going to Russia, think about it, more money, more playing time, and we he gets back he could go to another team that uses him correctly and does not have a s***ty coach.....if he leaves I will no longer be a fan of this team  until Holland and Trashill are fired.  Good thing we have abby and E on this team. Ridiculous  

No, he wouldn't. He's an RFA - he'd come back as... wait for it... an RFA whose rights belong to Detroit. 

His contract status doesn't change. 

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Jiri Hudler 2.0

If he does goes, he'll come back once we got our money right

This season is gonna be rough.

Cheers,

:drunk:

not even close. Hudler never had game breaking speed/ability the way AA does. Keep low-balling our young players Holland, you were lucky Tatar signed with us. 

Hehe, I like it. I don´t think he´s really going to KHL, probably to have a paper in his hand is good to put some pressure on our beloved gm. That´s obvious. 

But would be great if he really signs for one-year deal there, would it be the last nail on the cross? 

It's a dick move, most definitely contrived by his agent.

Sure, Blashill toyed with him last year. He's young and cocky, and our coach doesn't like that. Of course he doesn't want to go to the KHL. What Canadian kid dreams of playing in that time bomb? 

This is to force the RW's hand, and it's a dick way to do it.

Edited by sputman

I just went and checked to see who is left unsigned for teams and there are a lot of players that are marginal and/or young that are going overseas.

I wonder if some are not taking a year to play in a league where they will let them off for the Olympics.  You know the teams will be watered down without NHL players.  A guy like AA might have the chance.

Obviously if a player has an NHL contract or can get a good one, he'll stay, but if the choice is between mediocre money here and good money there plus a chance to play in the Olympics, how many players might not take a year away from the NHL for that experience?

Not saying this is AA specifically, just throwing it out there.

1 hour ago, sputman said:

It's a dick move, most definitely contrived by his agent.

Sure, Blashill toyed with him last year. He's young and cocky, and our coach doesn't like that. Of course he doesn't want to go to the KHL. What Canadian kid dreams of playing in that time bomb? 

This is to force the RW's hand, and it's a dick way to do it.

No, the only dick moves made this off-season have been made by Holland. 

Has it been reported anywhere what offers AA has turned down? The TSN article just says he has turned down multiple offers. http://www.tsn.ca/red-wings-athanasiou-weighing-khl-offer-1.836909

Hopefully this is enough motivation now for Holland to actually trade a young player. AA, 1st, bad contract for a young D-man? Is that even enough?

Edited by kliq

36 minutes ago, kliq said:

Has it been reported anywhere what offers AA has turned down? The TSN article just says he has turned down multiple offers. http://www.tsn.ca/red-wings-athanasiou-weighing-khl-offer-1.836909

Hopefully this is enough motivation now for Holland to actually trade a young player. AA, 1st, bad contract for a young D-man? Is that even enough?

Why would we want to trade a young player? Or did you mean trade for a young player? I just hope this cluster f*** Holland has created doesn't force him to trade low on a player, especially if it's a young player like Athanasiou. If we can trade him in a package for a young, potential top pair defenseman, I'd be all for it, but if we dump him for a pick, I'd be pissed...

13 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

Can't holland just sign AA and worry about trading away salary after? I'm sure Sheahan can be given away for a late pick... I'm thinking AA is asking for 3+ or this would be a non issue

Yes, but you still want to sign him to a reasonable deal, not just give him what he wants.  The KHL has to be a negotiation ploy, but what's the point...how much effect would it really have?  What 23 year old Canadian kid is going to go play in the KHL, especially now?

Jesus, this isn't even funny anymore. Holland has single handedly sank this franchise. One of our very few bright spots is about to walk away because Holland decided to over pay guys who probably wouldn't even make the roster on most teams. 

Edited by ShanahanMan

Just now, ShanahanMan said:

Jesus, this isn't even funny anymore. Holland has single handedly sank this franchise. One of our very few bright spots if about to walk away because Holland decided to over pay guys who probably wouldn't even make the roster on most teams. 

What if AA is asking for $5M?  Not to defend Holland, but there is the other side to consider.

3 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

What if AA is asking for $5M?  Not to defend Holland, but there is the other side to consider.

We have no cap room. At this point, we can't even offer 2M. Just awful awful management.