• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Buppy said:

I'm sure comparable players are used in all types of negotiations. That they are not the one and only factor in setting every single cap hit, regardless of term, timing, and situation, is a far cry from meaning "dick" though. 

No doubt that it lies somewhere in the middle. Comparables are not the be all end all, but they do mean something for RFA's.

UFA's are just different because it becomes more of an "auction" where players either go to the highest bidder, the best team (ie. want to win a cup), or somewhere they have a connection (ie. hometown/team that drafted them).

RFA's have to go to sign with their team since offer sheets really don't exist, so that is the situation where comparables are often brought up.

13 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Ironically enough, the guy that busted his butt in preseason and will take AA's roster spot wrote about his experience in the KHL.  Maybe AA and any other player looking to jump ship should read this first.

https://www.hockeyministries.org/home-ice/blog/my-experience/

I don't believe Athanasiou ever even considered going over seas. It was nothing more than an empty threat to gain some sort of leverage. It clearly didn't work. He should just sign a one or two year deal, and work his ass off to prove that he's worth much more on his next contract. Sitting out training camp and pre-season didn't do him any favors, and missing the start of the season won't either. I still hope every time I check Red Wings news that there will be an "Athanasiou Signed" headline. It's looking unlikely that anything will be done before opening night, and even if it were, he wouldn't likely be in the lineup for a while anyway...

10 minutes ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Well now that Anderson has resigned with the Blue Jackets, That now leaves Andreas Athanasiou as the only RFA holdout left to sign. Hopefully he signs sometime today or at least in the next few days.

Great news! I'm pretty sure Anderson circled back to Columbus' original offer from a few months ago as well. $1.85M x 3 years. Maybe Ferris smartened the f*** up and advised him to take the deal. Hopefully AA does the same over the next day or two too.

16 minutes ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Well now that Anderson has resigned with the Blue Jackets, That now leaves Andreas Athanasiou as the only RFA holdout left to sign. Hopefully he signs sometime today or at least in the next few days.

Hey Kenny and AA, theres your comparable.  Anderson just signed a deal for 3 years, $1.85M per. He had 17 goals 12 Assists for 29 points.  AA had 18 goals 11 assists for 29 points.  2 years $1.9M IS market value for AA, lets get this done!

...and then lets get Sheahan traded (or Kronner LTIR) to clear up this cap mess!

28 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Great news! I'm pretty sure Anderson circled back to Columbus' original offer from a few months ago as well. $1.85M x 3 years. Maybe Ferris smartened the f*** up and advised him to take the deal. Hopefully AA does the same over the next day or two too.

Yup Josh Anderson signed for 3 years $5.5 million or an AAV of $1.85 million and Holland offered AA fair market at 2 years $3.8 million give him the extra year like Anderson and be done with it.

12 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Ok, I just tweeted Andreas up and advised him to take the $1.9M, we're good, he'll get it done! :lol:

Lol good man, How can AA say no to that.

30 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Hey Kenny and AA, theres your comparable.  Anderson just signed a deal for 3 years, $1.85M per. He had 17 goals 12 Assists for 29 points.  AA had 18 goals 11 assists for 29 points.  2 years $1.9M IS market value for AA, lets get this done!

...and then lets get Sheahan traded (or Kronner LTIR) to clear up this cap mess!

After Josh Anderson signing for $1.85M per for 3 years, I honestly hope that AA's agent Darren Ferris still doesn't think that AA is worth $2.5 million with Anderson signing for less then what Holland offered AA he's pretty much has to accept that deal.

14 minutes ago, amato said:

posted this in the “13th F” thread too but this makes it sound like they don’t plan on AA signing right away...?

Well a move will have to be made before we sign Athanasiou, so even if / when we do sign him, we would still have 20 skaters and 2 goalies.

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Well a move will have to be made before we sign Athanasiou, so even if / when we do sign him, we would still have 20 skaters and 2 goalies.

True. I do still wonder if there’s a deal already in place just waiting for AA to sign.. 

14 hours ago, kipwinger said:

You saying the offer is market value doesn't make it so.  Market value is determined by supply and demand, not "player comparables".  I will donate $50 dollars to a charity of your choice if you can find a single Ken Holland reference to "comparables" prior to this year.  It's a negotiating tactic.  AA supplies goals.  Ken Holland needs goals.  Hence, Holland has to move toward the upper end of the price range.  So far he's failed to do so, and has alienated a good young talent in the process.  Saying that Holland should offer his young talent what some other GM, who's team is at a totally different point in their lifecycle is offering his, is way off base IMO.  If Holland doesn't want to pay AA 500K more, trade him and be done with it.  

I don't think you understand how this works.

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Doesnt 2 years put him in another RFA contract negotiation at age 26?  If not, then he should take 4.5 for 2 years.  Meet halfway.

Right but 2 years $4 million is a fair offer, And if in those 2 years he has two very good seasons just gives him more leverage to get a bigger contract after those 2 years are up. Honestly $4.5 for years years isn't that bad of an offer and maybe something he would consider.

34 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

But in 2 years he'll be an RFA with arbitration eligibility, a la Tatar. Take the 2 years at $1.9M and prove you're worth more and get your $5M+ next contract after you net 100 pts. in those 2 seasons.

Exactly this is pretty much what i was thinking as well, Take a little cheaper deal put up points play great and get bigger money in a year or two.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have been tied to the Detroit Red Wings for some time, with rumors swirling around Riley Sheahan and Andreas Athanasiou as potential trade candidates. Athanasiou remains unsigned, and as Elliotte Friedman reports in his latest “31 Thoughts” for Sportsnet, the Penguins have seemingly moved on.

Hell no I would not trade AA to Pitt! But it looks like they don't want Sheahan anymore either...looks like we don't sign AA until Kronwall or E inevitably go on LTIR.