• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

No Progress In Contract Talks For Andreas Athanasiou

October 4th, 2017 at 6:52pm CST • By Brian La Rose

Although the Red Wings have been in contact with Andreas Athanasiou’s agent over the last few days, the GM told reporters, including MLive’s Ansar Khan, that nothing has changed with regards to the stalemate in negotiations.  Athanasiou’s agent Darren Ferris also told Khan that there is nothing to update at this time.

Detroit made a pair of offers to the 23-year-old restricted free agent earlier in the offseason.  They tabled a one-year offer worth $1.25MM that would allow him to return to restricted free agency next summer with arbitration eligibility where he could possibly have more leverage to yield a bigger salary.  They’ve also offered him a two-year pact with an AAV of $1.9MM.

Andreas AthanasiouHowever, Athanasiou is believed to still be seeking $2.5MM per season which means there is still a pretty large gap to bridge.  Ferris revealed back in August that the winger had a KHL offer on the table and while he wouldn’t reveal the specifics financially, it was suggested that it was worth more than what the Red Wings have offered.

Athanasiou is coming off of a strong season that saw him record 18 goals and 11 assists in just 64 games.  However, this was also his only year that he was a full-time NHL player so his track record is still pretty small.  The team is likely using comparables such as Toronto wingerConnor Brown (three years, $2.1MM), Columbus winger Josh Anderson (who just signed a three year, $5.55MM deal on Monday), and Vancouver winger Sven Baertschi (two years, $3.7MM).  Those players all were coming off similar seasons to Athanasiou without any sort of long-term track record of NHL production.

With the season getting underway today, this will be the first day where Athanasiou is leaving money on the table by not being under contract.  If he is to play in the NHL at all in 2017-18, the two sides will need to reach an agreement on a new deal by December 1st.

11 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

The team is likely using comparables such as Toronto wingerConnor Brown (three years, $2.1MM), Columbus winger Josh Anderson (who just signed a three year, $5.55MM deal on Monday), and Vancouver winger Sven Baertschi (two years, $3.7MM).  Those players all were coming off similar seasons to Athanasiou without any sort of long-term track record of NHL production.

It's almost like comparables are a thing or something.

On 10/3/2017 at 12:59 AM, Buppy said:

That's disingenuous. The entire discussion you have been painting Holland as the bad guy for trying to get a "team friendly" deal. Now it's suddenly what he's supposed to do? No doubt if it were to come out that Holland did offer 4@$2.5, but AA was asking for just 2 years you'd flip back to accusing Holland of lowballing. 

Nothing wrong with just wanting AA signed, without any real concern over the specifics (beyond obviously not wanting a deal that hurts the team). That's probably where most of us are at. Just shouldn't be acting like the whole situation is all on Holland. Or all on AA, for anyone taking that position. 

RFA holdouts extending into the season are somewhat uncommon, but hardly unprecedented. I still say people are making this more of an issue than it really is. 

I'm sure comparable players are used in all types of negotiations. That they are not the one and only factor in setting every single cap hit, regardless of term, timing, and situation, is a far cry from meaning "dick" though. 

How's it disingenuous?  You're super eager to paint me as a "Holland is a bad guy" slappy when that's never been the case.  As I've already said, AA's agent has repeatedly said that the salary is the sticking point.  He's never mentioned the term.  Holland won't budge on the salary, and so I said he was lowballing him (because I agree that AA should get 2.5 million...over 3 years, which I said elsewhere).  I wouldn't fault Holland a bit for offering 2.5 over 3, or 4, or whatever.  Because I think the value would be right.  I only said Holland was lowballing him because he won't move off 1.9 million. 

What's your deal man?  You're always playing this "gotcha" game around here as if you're exposing some nefarious doubletalk from everyone else.  I'd suggest you read back over all my posts and see if it's not abundantly clear that I have issue with the aav, and not the term, before making more of your "comments section" accusations toward me.  Also, lighten up.  Roughly 100% of your posts are aimed at finding some perceived ***** in the other members' posts and then attacking them.  Why don't you talk about hockey once in a while?  I mean, what do you think is a fair contract for AA?  2.5 million for 3 years?  Yeah, me too.  

On 10/3/2017 at 5:22 PM, LeftWinger said:

But in 2 years he'll be an RFA with arbitration eligibility, a la Tatar. Take the 2 years at $1.9M and prove you're worth more and get your $5M+ next contract after you net 100 pts. in those 2 seasons.

He's already proved he's worth more than 1.9 million over two years.  All of the comparable guys people keep mentioning, including Brown, Anderson, Baertschi, scored roughly as much as AA with more minutes, more games, or both.  It's not unreasonable to think he's worth slightly more than those guys. 

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

This.

AA knows he's got the game to be a 40-50 pt guy THIS YEAR if he's given top 6 minutes for 82 games.  He proved that last year when he was with some decent linemates in Vanek and Nielsen.  The last thing he needs to have happen is to have Holland and Blashill Jurco him - play him 11 minutes a night on the 4th line with guys who stink.  If AA wants 2.5, make him sign for 5 years.  Then take him down a peg to 2.25 for 3 if he wants to get to UFA status at the exact time he hits availability.  Holland is just such an idiot, he probably doesnt understand how it all works.

I think that Holland is funny in the head 

2 hours ago, kipwinger said:

How's it disingenuous?  You're super eager to paint me as a "Holland is a bad guy" slappy when that's never been the case.  As I've already said, AA's agent has repeatedly said that the salary is the sticking point.  He's never mentioned the term.  Holland won't budge on the salary, and so I said he was lowballing him (because I agree that AA should get 2.5 million...over 3 years, which I said elsewhere).  I wouldn't fault Holland a bit for offering 2.5 over 3, or 4, or whatever.  Because I think the value would be right.  I only said Holland was lowballing him because he won't move off 1.9 million. 

What's your deal man?  You're always playing this "gotcha" game around here as if you're exposing some nefarious doubletalk from everyone else.  I'd suggest you read back over all my posts and see if it's not abundantly clear that I have issue with the aav, and not the term, before making more of your "comments section" accusations toward me.  Also, lighten up.  Roughly 100% of your posts are aimed at finding some perceived ***** in the other members' posts and then attacking them.  Why don't you talk about hockey once in a while?  I mean, what do you think is a fair contract for AA?  2.5 million for 3 years?  Yeah, me too.  

He's already proved he's worth more than 1.9 million over two years.  All of the comparable guys people keep mentioning, including Brown, Anderson, Baertschi, scored roughly as much as AA with more minutes, more games, or both.  It's not unreasonable to think he's worth slightly more than those guys. 

You have been saying Holland is wrong the whole time. You say for offering less than AA is worth, but apparently you mean less than what you'd pay, and paying him less than he's worth is fine as long as it gets him signed. Basically what it boils down to is just get AA signed. Maybe I presume to much to guess how you might react in a different situation, so fine, forget that part. As for what I think is fair, I'd say anything in the $1.5-2.5 range for 2 years is fair. Even higher over longer term. I'd do $4M over 6 years. Point is, I think what is being offered is already within the fair range, and therefore doesn't warrant criticism. 

Regarding my posting habits, while not really any of your business, my "deal" is only that I happen to value logical, rational, well-reasoned opinions. Something often in short supply on the internet and in the emotional world of sports fandom, I know. I like to pretend that my posts encourage people to put more thought into their posts and opinions. If your bulls*** can't stand up to some scrutiny, learn better bulls*** kind of thing. Probably delusional, but it helps me sleep. I could pretend to be sorry about it if it'll make you and krsmith feel better.

9 hours ago, kipwinger said:

:clap:

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

This is what happens when the Wings suck. EVERYONE TURNS ON EACH OTHER.

I could care less what any of you say. Why? Because, I actually accomplish things in the real world and from that I have real capital I can spend, not web forum capital. You are one server crash away from losing your meaningless identity.

9 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

How much do you have in your 401K?  At age 42, I just hit a lot of figures.  Not gonna spell it out for you, but lets just say its not just 5 figures with decimal points.  It's more than that.  I bet you dont even have a Scotrade account.  I do.  And that means I know more about hockey than you do.

You are so wise. I found that when someone wastes their life posting on a hockey forum, they generally have nothing much to show in other areas of life and rely instead on a meaningless online identity vs the one the identity have failed to establish in the real world. Greatness doesn't equal money, but money can represent someone who took on responsibilities, made decisions, set goals and worked toward achieving those goals. When you are a grown up who has done all this, maybe you will understand.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I like the way you center your lines in lines threads. It keeps everything neat and looks really nice.

But besides that I find you to be a depraved and disgusting individual.

I don't think you're actually Christopher Reeve's legs. I think you're just a normal person who's pretending to be Christopher Reeve's legs because it helps you fight off the pain of living your miserable life that has been ruined by terrible web forum investments and awful 401K decisions. Maybe if you knew a thing or two about stock markets and portfolios you wouldn't have to pretend to be Christopher Reeve's legs. Maybe you should think about that while I go invest in solar and swim in my money pool. What's a money pool? It's a swimming pool that's filled with money. I wouldn't expect you to know about that.

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

I don't think you're actually Christopher Reeve's legs. I think you're just a normal person who's pretending to be Christopher Reeve's legs because it helps you fight off the pain of living your miserable life that has been ruined by terrible web forum investments and awful 401K decisions. Maybe if you knew a thing or two about stock markets and portfolios you wouldn't have to pretend to be Christopher Reeve's legs. Maybe you should think about that while I go invest in solar and swim in my money pool. What's a money pool? It's a swimming pool that's filled with money. I wouldn't expect you to know about that.

HA

Buddy, I graduated to a 402K a longgggggg time ago. If you keep your money in a pool, you must be slow. All the money is probably wet now and ruined. Ruined like your shattered sense of identity that you've worked so hard to build online. In the end, meaningless. I suggest keeping your investments under a mattress or in the walls of your home, where the bankers and the lizard men cant find it.

36 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

How much do you have in your 401K?  At age 42, I just hit a lot of figures.  Not gonna spell it out for you, but lets just say its not just 5 figures with decimal points.  It's more than that.  I bet you dont even have a Scotrade account.  I do.  And that means I know more about hockey than you do.

I owe more than I have. Beat that!

Also, please sign soon, AA

59 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I could care less what any of you say. Why? Because, I actually accomplish things in the real world and from that I have real capital I can spend, not web forum capital. You are one server crash away from losing your meaningless identity.

I just saved a bunch by switching to Geico