• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, DatsyukianDekes said:

He had issues before he was drafted, I remember reading some stories when he was in junior.

Yup he slipped alot on draft day because of attitude problems. 

He was also traded in the OHL away from the London Knights because he didn't feel he got enough ice time. He actually asked for the trade. 

It's always been a red flag for him. 

Edited by Son of a Wing

Link Written 5 years ago...

There has a been frustrating cycle so far to Athanasiou's career.

Before his OHL draft year in 2010, he figured he was capable of being a first-round choice but he fell to the fourth.

This season, he was touted as a potential first-round pick and played in the Top Prospects Game -- but fell to the fourth.

He showed flashes of brilliance in a dominant four-goal game at Owen Sound in December, but in the second round against Saginaw, called out the club for calling him sick when he was, in fact, a healthy scratch.

"I know some people will take it to heart, I was proud of how I dealt with everything that happened this year," he said.

Not many on the club was particularly pleased when he did not show up for the Knights' end-of-year-banquet and OHL champion ring ceremony.

"I really couldn't make it," Athanasiou said. "I was really out of town with my trainer (Ray Leblanc) and I couldn't get there."

"I'm going to have to go pick it up," he said. "That's no problem."

Edited by Son of a Wing

15 hours ago, Son of a Wing said:

Link Written 5 years ago...

There has a been frustrating cycle so far to Athanasiou's career.

Before his OHL draft year in 2010, he figured he was capable of being a first-round choice but he fell to the fourth.

This season, he was touted as a potential first-round pick and played in the Top Prospects Game -- but fell to the fourth.

He showed flashes of brilliance in a dominant four-goal game at Owen Sound in December, but in the second round against Saginaw, called out the club for calling him sick when he was, in fact, a healthy scratch.

"I know some people will take it to heart, I was proud of how I dealt with everything that happened this year," he said.

Not many on the club was particularly pleased when he did not show up for the Knights' end-of-year-banquet and OHL champion ring ceremony.

"I really couldn't make it," Athanasiou said. "I was really out of town with my trainer (Ray Leblanc) and I couldn't get there."

"I'm going to have to go pick it up," he said. "That's no problem."

In his defence, he was right that he wasn't getting enough icetime since his production blew up as soon as he was traded. 

The knights even scratched him for those few playoff games, so I can understand him feeling that he was buried in the depth chart with the Knights and wanting to go somewhere else where he could develop his game. I think it would be rare to find drafted OHL players getting scratched in the playoffs - I mean those are the cream of the crop. And the team claiming he was sick rather than scratched seems weird. Maybe they were protecting him from questioning, but it could also be protecting themselves from scrutiny.

Anyway, I would hesitate to use this as a previous example of him being difficult. London's coach, Dale Hunter does have a reputation of not getting along with some people. Ask Washington in his one year coaching there, he was also fined for abusing an official off-ice as London's coach and was fined for falsely claiming other coaches ordered their player to injure Max Domi as well as other fines. His character to me is questionable and I wouldn't trust his characterization in this article.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

5 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Is he greedy or are folks pumping his tires so much he thinks he is worth more. 

he sees grinders who got paid and thinks a guy who can actually score goals should get a decent deal too.  Regardless of whether they were UFA or not, if LFG gets $1.8 mil a year, Helm $3.85 and Abdelkader over $4 mil, AA and his agent probably have a legit reason to want $2.5.  I also think that his agent gave him bad advice, and playing in Europe shouldn't have been just a bluff.  If he wasn't prepared to go, he should have signed the crap one year offer and then gone to arbitration next summer.

It could also be because of Blashill, but the results are the same.  Either be prepared to go to Europe or bite the bullet.

Edited by DickieDunn

18 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

he sees grinders who got paid and thinks a guy who can actually score goals should get a decent deal too.  Regardless of whether they were UFA or not, if LFG gets $1.8 mil a year, Helm $3.85 and Abdelkader over $4 mil, AA and his agent probably have a legit reason to want $2.5.  I also think that his agent gave him bad advice, and playing in Europe shouldn't have been just a bluff.  If he wasn't prepared to go, he should have signed the crap one year offer and then gone to arbitration next summer.

It could also be because of Blashill, but the results are the same.  Either be prepared to go to Europe or bite the bullet.

Whatever it is, he f***ed up. Because he's a 23 year old moron with poor decision making skills. If he's lucky he'll end up in Swiss making more money but hampering his own development (sucks he's not getting any younger and a few years from hitting his prime).

If he's really lucky he signs with the Wings or gets traded to another NHL team and reaches full potential. 

I'm very passionate about fellow millennials not making other millennials look like idiots. :nono:

Edited by kickazz

Congradulations gentleman we have our very own Evander Kane. At some point you have to say his talent just isnt worth it. Remember Avery? Suberb aggitator and forechecker, but the personality didnt jive. Dropped. This kid is NOT a bonafide star. Cut ties with the cancer ASAP. Theres a Frk or Rassmussen out there willing to put in the time. Its the logo on the front, not the name plate on the back. 

11 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Congradulations gentleman we have our very own Evander Kane. At some point you have to say his talent just isnt worth it. Remember Avery? Suberb aggitator and forechecker, but the personality didnt jive. Dropped. This kid is NOT a bonafide star. Cut ties with the cancer ASAP. Theres a Frk or Rassmussen out there willing to put in the time. Its the logo on the front, not the name plate on the back. 

But Frank says Evander Kane is a thug.

AA isn't a thug. 

Edited by kickazz

18 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

So in addition to AA, what gets us Duschene?

It was reported that Sakic was looking for a top 4 defenseman, top prospect, and a first round pick... I'm not sure if he's come down from those ridiculous remands, but if that's close to the asking price, no thanks! It's unlikely that Holland makes a deal with Sakic, or any GM for that matter. Trades are hard...

37 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

So in addition to AA, what gets us Duschene?

Green, AA, and a first rounder. I think we would have to get AA signed first though.

Still would never happen. Holland had to go through Yzerman just to get Kyle Quincey out of Colorado. Sakic and co have long memories in regards to the Red Wings.

Plus Duchene grew up an Avs fan worshiping Sakic and Forsberg. He probably hates the Wings.... but who knows, his favorite team and idols have pretty much treated him like garbage at this point. Maybe he's ready to defect to the good guys. Still, Sakic has to make the deal, just can't see him sending his star to Detroit. 

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

Probably isn't enough considering Colorado is said to want an arm and a leg for him, but:

AA and Nyq/Tatar for the Duch

Would benefit both teams imo. Duchene has checked out over there, he does not want to be there and it's silly to think that he is going to play hard for a team he wants off of. the package they are receiving will provide more offense than a disgruntled Duch on his own. 

Doubt it's enough, but it probably would actually be a good trade for both teams. They say Duchene is a star, well, he hasn't been for awhile. Their asking price is absolutely ludicrous and I honestly think at this point it isn't unfair value for him, though I'm not sure snowblowjoe would agree. 

Edited by DangleDangleBeach

1 hour ago, DangleDangleBeach said:

Probably isn't enough considering Colorado is said to want an arm and a leg for him, but:

AA and Nyq/Tatar for the Duch

Would benefit both teams imo. Duchene has checked out over there, he does not want to be there and it's silly to think that he is going to play hard for a team he wants off of. the package they are receiving will provide more offense than a disgruntled Duch on his own. 

Doubt it's enough, but it probably would actually be a good trade for both teams. They say Duchene is a star, well, he hasn't been for awhile. Their asking price is absolutely ludicrous and I honestly think at this point it isn't unfair value for him, though I'm not sure snowblowjoe would agree. 

They want D.  Even if they drop the pick out of their demands, I doubt that will change.  

This is not good for AA. The Ilitches have long memories. If AA holds out the entire season and Holland cannot trade him, I don't think Chris is going to be in the giving mood next summer, no matter who the gm or coach is. Especially if he's in the middle of trying to land JT. 

Should we revisit the Fowler or Hamilton ideas?

On 10/7/2017 at 2:35 PM, kickazz said:

Send AA to Vegas along with Ericsson and Neilsen.

Clears about $10 million in cap space.

Why would they want to take on either of those contracts? I'd love it if they did, but seems far fetched.