• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Athanasiou Signed 1 year $1.4 mil

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Jacksoni said:

Yep. Want to see how he looks, hoping that he has polished away some of his flaws. Kid's got a huge ceiling if he pans out. Now he has to show to earn it.

Exactly i'm really high on this kid, And hopefully once he comes back he lights it up again. AA is a special person.

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Remember Jakun Kindl?  Another beauty.

And that McCollum guy. Spent yours trying to develop him, then Kenny finally realizes he’s a bust and lets him walk. He’s gone one season, and he couldn’t resist wasting a 7th rounder to bring him back.  7th rounder is minor, but still a pick. Why let him leave in the first place, just to bring him back? Not like he turned a corner when he left either. Head scratcher for sure that one. 

21 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

And that McCollum guy. Spent yours trying to develop him, then Kenny finally realizes he’s a bust and lets him walk. He’s gone one season, and he couldn’t resist wasting a 7th rounder to bring him back.  7th rounder is minor, but still a pick. Why let him leave in the first place, just to bring him back? Not like he turned a corner when he left either. Head scratcher for sure that one. 

Bringing McCollum back was stupid, but not because of the pick, because he sucks... really bad... We won't ever lose that pick anyway. It was a conditional 7th and the conditions were something crazy, like him playing 20 games with the Wings or something. Never going to happen.

EDIT:

Condition: Flames only acquire the 2018 7th round pick if McCollum plays at least 20 minutes in 15 NHL regular season games.

Still not going to happen.

Edited by krsmith17

14 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Bringing McCollum back was stupid, but not because of the pick, because he sucks... really bad... We won't ever lose that pick anyway. It was a conditional 7th and the conditions were something crazy, like him playing 20 games with the Wings or something. Never going to happen.

EDIT:

Condition: Flames only acquire the 2018 7th round pick if McCollum plays at least 20 minutes in 15 NHL regular season games.

He's a solid AHL goalie, which we needed and is what he was acquired for, and we got him for nothing. Not sure what's so stupid about it.

3 minutes ago, Buppy said:

He's a solid AHL goalie, which we needed and is what he was acquired for, and we got him for nothing. Not sure what's so stupid about it.

I think he's a below average AHL goalie. But what I think is stupid about the situation is, we let a 23 year old Paterson walk, and brought back a 27 year old McCollum. We also had another option in Machovsky. I'm just not a fan of McCollum, and I don't think it was a smart move to bring him back, but whatever.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

EDIT:

He does suck. Didn’t know about the conditions, that makes more sense. He won’t even see a minute of an NHL game.

I think he's a below average AHL goalie. But what I think is stupid about the situation is, we let a 23 year old Paterson walk, and brought back a 27 year old McCollum. We also had another option in Machovsky. I'm just not a fan of McCollum, and I don't think it was a smart move to bring him back, but whatever.

Wow we let Paterson go? Don't know how I missed that f***, much rather of kept him over McCollum and overhyped giant Coreau , he had some potential if I recall oh well

11 hours ago, kickazz said:

You're right. I'm starting to wonder about our scouts ability. It seems as though Holland keeps having to clean up their busts with these trades he's been doing. Interesting to see your support of Holland. You may be onto something about the scouts doing a poor job though. 

Important to remember that all the busts we are talking about are under Nill's watch as king of the draft. Great at picking up good late round picks, massively wasteful with 1st rounders (although late 1st round is obviously harder to predict). Early signs reflect better on Tyler Wright, though as ever, time will tell...

21 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Go back to my previous posts.

Smith - hated.  We lost a first round pick with lots of time invested.

Tatar - liked.

Daley - hated.

Athanasiou - hated (the way it was handled).

Sproul - meh.

Sheahan - hated.  We lost a 1st rnd pick with lots of time invested.

My first response was a reply to Kliq's post about the blind hatred for Holland that exists here (although it seems to have lessened lately) and other sites (Hockeybuzz is rife with it). That wasn't directed at you, but since Kliq quoted you I can see why you might think that. My apologies.

I was however responding to the part about me thinking Holland's model was "flawless." I have never said that, nor does anything I have said in here reflect that. I would invite you to take your own advice and look at MY previous posts. I have more than once stated that Holland has made some bad deals. I hated the Helm and Abby deals. I will also say that I hate the Ericsson deal. I hate overpaying for UFAs and veterans just as you do. They make it harder to sign the kids. How is that flawless management on my part? 

Would it surprise you to know that I actually agree with you on Smith, Sheahan, Sproul, and Tatar. The only ones you posted that we disagree on are AA and Daley. Does my differing opinion on those 2 deals mean that I live in 2008?

I also hate overpaying for RFAs, which I believe AA's asking price was. 500K may not seem like a lot of money now, but with all of the bad contracts on this team that will still be here for years to come (on Holland), that 500K could interfere with Holland's ability to resign guys like Mantha, Larkin, or Svech, who are all more important to the rebuild than AA, IMO. And if AA can't understand that this is a business and he lets it affect him personally, than maybe he's too emotionally/mentally weak to be here.

On 10/21/2017 at 10:31 AM, puckbags said:

Guy signs for less than he originally was offered. Played his hand really early.  Kenny knew a  young kid doesn't want to play in Russia.  AA went to Switzerland to once again pretend he was interested in playing overseas. Once again his bluff was called. Holland got him signed for less money.  Kenny won't get any credit for it. Pretty simple 

This

9 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Wow we let Paterson go? Don't know how I missed that f***, much rather of kept him over McCollum and overhyped giant Coreau , he had some potential if I recall oh well

What potential? Two years he couldn't crack the AHL, and is back in the ECHL this year. Newer does not equal better. No good reason to think he's anything more than a less developed version of McCollum. 

I think even if we had resigned him we probably still would have picked up McCollum (as insurance in case we lost Coreau or were able to trade one of Mrazek or Howard, as much as anything). Nagle likely wouldn't have been signed. 

7 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This

No. 

16 hours ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

Paterson is a Jabroni. 

Athanasiou took part in his first practice with the team today, and will make his season debut tomorrow night in Tampa. Can't wait!

Hopefully he slides in on the 3rd line to start, in Helm's spot, and Helm bumps Witkowski off the 4th line...

About time god damn it. Your thoughts on his placement sounds about right in my opinion.

If he's good to go he'll make that 3rd line have a nasty sting if he's hovering between the opposing defenders in our zone. His first steps are scary fast, could be the fastest I've seen. Let's see what's up with that.

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/notes-athanasiou-practices-with-wings-could-play-thursday-against-tampa/c-292274132

During practice, Athanasiou skated mostly with Frans Nielsen and Darren Helm, but Blashill wasn't sure if that line was set quite yet.

"He's had good chemistry with Nielsen," Blashill said. "The other thing I gotta look at at some point is he's had good chemistry with Mantha in the past as well. He was playing center more at that point in GR (Grand Rapids) and he might at some point play center for us. Let's see where that goes. But he certainly had chemistry with Nielsen, so it's something we'll look at."

32 minutes ago, Dabura said:

https://www.nhl.com/redwings/news/notes-athanasiou-practices-with-wings-could-play-thursday-against-tampa/c-292274132

During practice, Athanasiou skated mostly with Frans Nielsen and Darren Helm, but Blashill wasn't sure if that line was set quite yet.

"He's had good chemistry with Nielsen," Blashill said. "The other thing I gotta look at at some point is he's had good chemistry with Mantha in the past as well. He was playing center more at that point in GR (Grand Rapids) and he might at some point play center for us. Let's see where that goes. But he certainly had chemistry with Nielsen, so it's something we'll look at."

So in other words, Frk will be demoted to the 4th line or press box... Awesome...

52 minutes ago, kliq said:

That's what I was thinking, its essentially between him Abby and Helm...right?

Well, no. It should be an easy decision to scratch Witkowski, but he's Blashill's boy, so that probably won't happen...

EDIT: Just realized, you likely meant between the three of them to be demoted to the 4th line, assuming Witkowski actually does get scratched. Then yes, I would say it's between the three of them, or maybe even just two (Helm and Frk). I'd much prefer it to be Helm, because his game is much better suited in a "checking role". Let Frk play with "skilled" players...

Edited by krsmith17

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Well, no. It should be an easy decision to scratch Witkowski, but he's Blashill's boy, so that probably won't happen...

EDIT: Just realized, you likely meant between the three of them to be demoted to the 4th line, assuming Witkowski actually does get scratched. Then yes, I would say it's between the three of them, or maybe even just two (Helm and Frk). I'd much prefer it to be Helm, because his game is much better suited in a "checking role". Let Frk play with "skilled" players...

Oh 100%! Witkowski is without a doubt the guy who should be in the press box, that is what I meant.

I agree with helm being the one to center the 4th line.