• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingnut1989

Detroit's cap hit on both goalie and defense is top 3 in the league

Rate this topic

16 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Though of course, Ouellet and Sproul are already on the team (or at least Sproul was; might have been bad enough that he no longer will be, we'll see). I guess change it to Russo and Lashoff?

But whatevs, an extra bunch of cap space would be awesome. We could totally sign Tavares and maybe become the new Islanders. I gots goosebumps just thinking about it.

Yup, Ouellet and Sproul are on the team as healthy scratches... Daley, Green, DeKeyser, Jensen, Kronwall and Ericsson will all dress when healthy.

Yeah, adding Tavares would totally make us the new Islanders. Tavares is clearly what's wrong with that team...

25 minutes ago, Buppy said:

.. Ouellet and Sproul are already on the team (or at least Sproul was might have been bad enough that he no longer will be, we'll see). 

HAHAahah bait level on par with Bill Berzeench. 

Love it.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, krsmith17 said:

We're also the second oldest team with an average age of 29.269.

Imagine how different all three of those numbers would look if we replaced Kronwall, Ericsson and Howard with Ouellet, Sproul and Coreau. We would probably be a slightly worse team (not much), which would be a good thing anyway. We also wouldn't have those veterans for Blashill to needlessly lean on, and it would give the kids more of an opportunity to sink or swim...

I mean... we can dream. Howard moving only makes sense if Mrazek can pull it together. Kronwall is done, and needs to go on LTIR; no one is going to take him. Ericsson moving is definitely doable... and since they picked up Witkowski who can play either D or Forward, maybe that's their plan? It's certainly one of the only ways they can sign AA without losing both Glendening and Sheahan. I think they need to keep one of them for the grind line.

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Ericsson was a solid 2nd pair guy.  Then he got hurt and started acting like he was afraid of getting hurt again.  Now he's a so-so 3rd pair guy.

He had wrist surgery in the offseason so his change in play could be due to that nagging injury rather than being afraid off injury.

I agree that he was good for a #4 guy and lets hope he returns to that.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yup, Ouellet and Sproul are on the team as healthy scratches... Daley, Green, DeKeyser, Jensen, Kronwall and Ericsson will all dress when healthy....

Completely different argument. You were talking about replacing Kronwall and Ericsson on the roster, so you shouldn't use other players that are also on the roster. Hence why I said change it Russo and Lashoff. (Though we do have 8 D, so amend that 'and' to an 'or'.)

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, adding Tavares would totally make us the new Islanders. Tavares is clearly what's wrong with that team...

He might not be the problem, but he isn't the solution either. And if we got him, he'd be older and thus likely produce less, while also more expensive. Doesn't exactly scream "winning recipe" to me, and that's pretty much the best we could hope to do with an abundance of cap space. The other option would be to sign a few different mediocre FAs. The gist of it being that cap space isn't going to fix us, so we don't need to be so desperate for it.

If no one ends up getting hurt, make a small move to fit in AA while hopefully bringing back a positive return. Sheahan to Pittsburgh, for example, seems like an option that would work for all involved. We shouldn't be looking to pay teams to take salary that will be gone soon enough anyway. 

6 hours ago, kickazz said:

HAHAahah bait level on par with Bill Berzeench. 

Love it.

How so? Pretty sure everyone accepts that Sproul played poorly. We have 8 D and we're over the cap. What's wrong with acknowledging the possibility that Sproul's place on the roster may be in jeopardy?

27 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Completely different argument. You were talking about replacing Kronwall and Ericsson on the roster, so you shouldn't use other players that are also on the roster. Hence why I said change it Russo and Lashoff. (Though we do have 8 D, so amend that 'and' to an 'or'.)

He might not be the problem, but he isn't the solution either. And if we got him, he'd be older and thus likely produce less, while also more expensive. Doesn't exactly scream "winning recipe" to me, and that's pretty much the best we could hope to do with an abundance of cap space. The other option would be to sign a few different mediocre FAs. The gist of it being that cap space isn't going to fix us, so we don't need to be so desperate for it.

If no one ends up getting hurt, make a small move to fit in AA while hopefully bringing back a positive return. Sheahan to Pittsburgh, for example, seems like an option that would work for all involved. We shouldn't be looking to pay teams to take salary that will be gone soon enough anyway. 

How so? Pretty sure everyone accepts that Sproul played poorly. We have 8 D and we're over the cap. What's wrong with acknowledging the possibility that Sproul's place on the roster may be in jeopardy?

It's not a completely different argument at all. If Kronwall and Ericsson are out of the lineup, who replaces them? The next two on the depth chart, Ouellet and Sproul. Why would Russo and Lashoff jump over two of them? They wouldn't. Lashoff is a career AHLer and Russo would take the spot of 7th defenseman.

Not even touching your Tavares argument. If you don't think a top 5, point per game, 26 year old center doesn't help this team, not sure who you think would...

What's wrong with a team in a rebuild / retool not spending to the cap? I'd be okay with shedding cap space and holding onto it for our own RFA's and / or for when the right deal came along, be that Tavares or someone else.

36 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It's not a completely different argument at all. If Kronwall and Ericsson are out of the lineup, who replaces them? The next two on the depth chart, Ouellet and Sproul. Why would Russo and Lashoff jump over two of them? They wouldn't. Lashoff is a career AHLer and Russo would take the spot of 7th defenseman.

Not even touching your Tavares argument. If you don't think a top 5, point per game, 26 year old center doesn't help this team, not sure who you think would...

What's wrong with a team in a rebuild / retool not spending to the cap? I'd be okay with shedding cap space and holding onto it for our own RFA's and / or for when the right deal came along, be that Tavares or someone else.

It is a different argument. The topic is the cap. If you were talking about replacing them in the lineup, it would have no effect on the cap at all. No one is talking about the lineup at all, because that doesn't make any sense whatsoever in the context of the topic. You are talking about replacing them on the roster, which you are not doing with a different player that is already on the roster. You need a player that isn't on the roster. e.g. Russo, like I said, and like, I'm sure, you will now claim to have meant the whole time.

You mean a 28 year old, former top-5 point-per-game center, who will have spent his best years failing to elevate his previous team, signed for $9M+ until he's 35. 

And I never said anything was wrong with not spending to the cap. I said we don't need to be desperate and shouldn't be looking to give away assets in order to free up space. If you don't even want to use the space, why pay to free it up? 

8 hours ago, Buppy said:

It is a different argument. The topic is the cap. If you were talking about replacing them in the lineup, it would have no effect on the cap at all. No one is talking about the lineup at all, because that doesn't make any sense whatsoever in the context of the topic. You are talking about replacing them on the roster, which you are not doing with a different player that is already on the roster. You need a player that isn't on the roster. e.g. Russo, like I said, and like, I'm sure, you will now claim to have meant the whole time.

You mean a 28 year old, former top-5 point-per-game center, who will have spent his best years failing to elevate his previous team, signed for $9M+ until he's 35. 

And I never said anything was wrong with not spending to the cap. I said we don't need to be desperate and shouldn't be looking to give away assets in order to free up space. If you don't even want to use the space, why pay to free it up? 

Ok, so Ouellet and Sproul replace Kronwall and Ericsson in the lineup and Russo replaces Ouellet / Sproul on the roster. Who gives a s***? Just another opportunity for you to have a meaningless argument... Russo is an RFA and we don't know how much he will be making next season, but you want to discuss his cap hit (which he doesn't even have) to replace a player on the roster...

I was talking about Tavares today, because we know what he is today. You're talking about what he will be and the contract he will sign a year from now, which is fine, except you're just guessing. Tavares could sign the contract you mention with a team with very good scoring wingers, and elevate his game from a top 5 to top 3 center, from the age of 28-32. And AGAIN, I'm not even saying Tavares is where I'd spend the extra cap, I just think it's crazy for a rebuilding / retooling team to be in cap hell...

We shouldn't give away assets? You're acting like I'm saying we should trade Svechnikov or a 1st / 2nd round pick to get rid of a bad contract. I'm saying we should look to trade a mid-low level player / prospect or a late round draft pick. That, to me is well worth getting rid of a bad contract and gaining cap space. You disagree? Cool.