• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Leafs add more $$$

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, F.Michael said:

MLG is now a Loblaws grocery store.

I've never been in there, but from what pics I've seen - it's neat.

There is still a rink there, just now closer to the top, with grocery store at bottom.  Rink is used by Ryerson University i think.

I get the naming rights thing, that's where all sporting arenas will end up, if not already there.  I think MSG is the only one left in the NHL and that's unlikely to ever change.  It's not the name itself that bothers me, it's that names are likely to change over time as new rights holders come into play.  You don't necessarily have those iconic buildings anymore, perhaps that's less of an issue, because you really don't have the buildings around that long anymore either.  The days of the Maple leafs playing from the Gardens for 70 years will never happen again.

5 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Biggest franchise, o 6, largest fanbase, huge media market and one of the next superstar centers = $$$

but wow that's a huge amount of cash

For me it will always be the Maple Leafs Gardens

From what I've heard, it's the largest naming rights deal in NA sports history....didn't fact check that though.

According to Wiki:

Today Maple Leaf Gardens is a multi-purpose facility, with Loblaws occupying retail space on the lower floors and an arena for Toronto's Ryerson University, known as Mattamy Athletic Centre at the Gardens, occupying another level.