• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Neomaxizoomdweebie

DRW Training Camp 2017

Rate this topic

20 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Whats your take K?

Havent had enough time between all my investments and stock option portfolio sharing ceremonies (always buy low / sell high) to watch a game. Ive read Cholowski isnt flashy, but is super calm and smooth under pressure. Rasmussen has been solid but not spectacular. 

I hear ya man. Stock market got me drained, physically, not financially, cause you know, stock market made me rich as f***. Pulled an all-nighter, tripled my investment.

#ballin #stackinstacks #getatme

Cholowski was probably the player I was most impressed with. Like you said, very poised with the puck, never rushed plays. Hronek looked good, great skater and hands. I was very impressed with Saarijarvi as well, tonight especially. Rasmussen looked very bad in my opinion. Hopefully that's just rust, just coming off an injury. Svechnikov looked good, but not as good as I was hoping for our most NHL ready, and arguably our top prospect. Holmstrom looked really good tonight. Skating still needs improvement, but has silky mitts. Smith has a ton of skill, and needs to concentrate more on that area of the game, rather than the fisticuffs and other shenanigans. Sadowy and Turgeon looked good, and could develop into solid bottom six guys.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Rasmussen looked very bad in my opinion. Hopefully that's just rust, just coming off an injury.

Another thing could be his development he´s told to make. Like - he was reported to be tip-in/crease player, could be that Red Wings development is asking him now to adapt and develop himself to be more all-aroung guy (like Zetterberg) and this is just a start of 18/19 path he´s going to follow. I´d be more curious where this guy will be in one year from now. 

What about Machovsky? 

2 hours ago, Juklitz said:

Another thing could be his development he´s told to make. Like - he was reported to be tip-in/crease player, could be that Red Wings development is asking him now to adapt and develop himself to be more all-aroung guy (like Zetterberg) and this is just a start of 18/19 path he´s going to follow. I´d be more curious where this guy will be in one year from now. 

What about Machovsky? 

Machovsky was pretty bad in the first game against the Canes, but had a great bounce back game last night. He didn't get tested much until the end of the game when the Rangers were pressing, but it seems like most of their shots all game were quality chances. He made a lot of big time saves. He will likely start in Toledo, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get games in Grand Rapids as the season progresses.

I watched most of the game last night. I really liked how quick the forwards were at getting in on the forecheck. They caused a lot of turnovers and capitalized on them as well. Sure there were some odd man rushes the other way but this young defense is very mobile and good with their sticks. They broke up a lot of the threatening odd man rushes with out much of an issue.

Honestly this is probably more of a coaching thing and knowing how to utilize the players you have. The defensive shell the wings play is garbage, boring, loser mentality hockey. I think Dickie mentioned this in the AA thread. This team with its speed and skill should be pushing the pace offensively not sitting in a shell and trying to block shots all game. 

Training Camp starts this weekend, with intersquad practices and scrimmages on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and the Red & White game Monday afternoon.

Team Delvecchio

Forwards: Justin Abdelkader, Tyler Bertuzzi, Luke Glendening, Darren Helm, Dylan Larkin, Anthony Mantha, Frans Nielsen, Gustav Nyquist, P-A Parenteau, Riley Sheahan, Ben Street, Tomas Tatar, Luke Witkowski, Henrik Zetterberg

Defensemen: Dennis Cholowski, Trevor Daley, Danny DeKeyser, Jonathan Ericsson, Mike Green, Nick Jensen, Niklas Kronwall, Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul

Goaltenders: Jimmy Howard, Petr Mrazek

Team Howe

Forwards: David Booth, Colin Campbell, Corey Elkins, Turner Elson, Luke Esposito, Matt Ford, Martin Frk, Axel Holmstrom, Matt Lorito, Dylan Sadowy, Dominik Shine, Evgeny Svechnikov, Eric Tangradi, Dominic Turgeon

Defensemen: Joe Hicketts, Filip Hronek, Brian Lashoff, Pat McCarron, Dylan McIlrath, Dan Renouf, Robbie Russo, Vili Saarijarvi

Goaltenders: Jared Coreau, Matej Machovsky, Tom McCollum

Team Lindsay

Forwards: Mike Borkowski, Austen Brassard, Oliver Castleman, Connor Crisp, Zach Gallant, Brady Gilmour, Isaac Johnson, Sean Josling, Luke Kutkevicius, Zach Nastasiuk, Michael Rasmussen, Givani Smith, Lane Zablocki

Defensemen: Marcus Crawford, Simon Denis, Evan Fiala, Cole Fraser, Jordan Sambrook, Libor Sulak, Kevin Tansey, Reilly Webb

Goaltenders: Corbin Boes, Kaden Fulcher, Pat Nagle

The rosters are divided up a little different this year. Usually the teams are pretty even, with each team having one or two lines from Detroit and Grand Rapids with junior players and invitees sprinkled in. This year it looks like Team Delvecchio is more or less what we'll see in Detroit on opening night, Team Howe is what we'll see in Grand Rapids, and Team Lindsay consists of players headed to Toledo, back to junior and invitees.

It is interesting to see Parenteau and Cholowski on Team Delvecchio. It looks like Parenteau may have the edge over Frk and Svechnikov, which I don't hate. As for Cholowski, there's no way he makes the team, they just needed to fill the roster with a 9th defenseman. Still cool he got the nod over any of the other defensemen though.

at TC now. from yesterday, booth was practicing with prospects and Griffs. So probably going to GR. PAP practicing with big boys, good chance of making team. Kronner not here so cholo also with big boys- good sign. Svech with kids, looked good though. Rass did not stand out, very thin needs to bulk up. If you havent attended a camp yet, you must. The Mecca for all Wings fans. Glad I traveled the 6 hours to get here.

I'm a little jealous, I've always wanted to go up there for camp. Maybe next year. 

Not too much of that surprises me. Cholowski getting the bump up with Kronner resting is some of the best camp news, imo. Seems like they want to fast track him to the NHL as much as possible. PA with the big boys is cool and all but I think he's mostly a backup plan if AA does actually leave for Russia. I still don't think he will though. 

Svechnikov gets the first nod if a top 6 forward goes down, which will happen soon enough sadly. By watching him he's ready and should fill that spot nicely. Kid can play at the top level, thinks the game quick, instinctively. Only worry I have is that he seems a bit careless, might get hurt.

14 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

Kronwall goes from 'Feeling great!' to back spasm may miss training camp. His problem is he wants to play so bad and is just clueless that his body is just done at this point

Or he's just setting up these new injuries to go on LTIR soon.

Edited by kickazz

19 hours ago, kickazz said:

Honor, Valor, Loyalty

I thought it was hustle, loyalty, respect?

Living in PA and teaching, a road trip to see training camp live isn't in the cards for me, so I am dependent on what folks here can relay plus reading what Malik cuts and pastes with a healthy dose of salt (though I do think, for all his shortcomings, that he does a pretty good job with the training camp and prospect tournament stuff).  To those who are able to give info first hand, I thank you once again.

Day 2: Seated in row 3, only 10 feet from the ice. Cholowski back down with kids today. Lashoff,who really stood out yesterday when scimmaging with kids, is back up with bigs. Svech looks really good, although not surprising considering who he is playing with.  I still don't think he's ready for full time NHL duty yet. No kids really stood out over the others, although I did like what I saw from Hicketts. Another stand out from the B squad was McIlrath. I realize he's not a prospect, but his experience (like Booth) kinda made up for less skill. Tangradi went down with an injury on Friday, had to be helped off the ice. DNP on Saturday, don't know how severe injury is. Scrimmage game went to shootout. Tatar with sweet GWG on Pat Nagle. Larkin looks REALLY good, hope this translates to a bounce back year. Bertuzzi probably makes Wings roster as a 4th liner. Definitely not a scorer, too small to be physical. Did not look out of place, but did not really excel at anything specifically. Witkowski didn't look out of place either. I really thought he would be out of his element, but held his own. Witkowski's whiskers > Hank's zetterbeard. Blashill throwing out some F bombs at practice that could be heard from the stands. LOL Unable to attend day 3 due to prior engagement.

Will post pics later.