• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Twilight years Zetterberg vs. Datsyuk

Rate this topic

Twilight Zetterberg or Datsyuk  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum and millions others on the internet have had a crap ton of Zetterberg vs. Datsyuk threads over the years. This time the question is, who is the better one in their respective twilight years and which older version would you rather have on your team?

I found a few older threads listed below. They are from 2005, 2007, and 2014. (we have LGW opinions from a 12 year period..)

Edited by kickazz

If Datsyuk has a sniper/goal scorer with him like he had with Hossa, than i choose Datsyuk.

If not i choose Zetterberg he can seem to get it done with whom'ever hes with.

Datsyuk higher ceiling with the right linemates. Zetterberg safe pick otherwise, he can elevate anyones game. 

32 minutes ago, brett said:

Z in my book

might just be my memory but i always thought Z was more clutch.

Overall more clutch moments, playoff series changing goals/ defensive plays and game winning goals yeah.

But when Datsyuk was clutch it was a highlight reel moment; not as subtle as Zetterberg.

But I'm not asking overall career, I'm asking about their twilight years. Age 34+ I'd say. 

Edited by kickazz

On 9/4/2017 at 10:48 PM, toby91_ca said:

We also have to remember that Zetterberg is 2 years younger than Datysuk, so in terms of longevity, he may stick around only 1 more year than Datsyuk assuming the 2 more years holds true.

That is true but as far as games played per year consistently from 34+ age I think Z has played more games comparatively. The last time Datsyuk played a full season was in 2007-08, age 29. 

The only time Z missed significant time later in his career was the back surgery season for recovery. 

But again could also look at it in terms of how many NHL season each has played. Right now both are tied at 14 seasons. Z is supposedly looking to end it at 16 seasons played; could be longer, could be shorter. 

Edited by kickazz

The Wings we're pretty terrible even with Datsyuk here. I think missing the playoffs is a knee-jerk that "Oh it must have been because of Datsyuk". That's not necessarily true. 

We should have missed the playoffs in the 2016 season. We didn't because Petr Mrazek played lights out unsustainable hockey from December - February. His Vezina like performance kept us in the mix and as soon as he fell off, Howard picked it up.

On the contrary, this season not only was our goaltending pretty s***ty, so was our usual offense and defense. No one really bailed us out this year like Mrazek did last. 

Unless a goalie can make saves, we won't be anywhere close to making the playoffs. Regardless of whether or not we have Z in the lineup in 2 years. 

Edited by kickazz

I can't decide. I only wish they had been playing TOGETHER more when we had both. It was a duo almost unmatched in all of hockey, certainly in this era. Watch the old highlights... amazing stuff. I never bought into the excuse that we had to spread out their skills across lines. When playing together they were consistently the best line in hockey. As amazing as each was alone, together they exceeded the sum of their parts. We actually made the decision repeatedly to not put out the best line in hockey. That to me is/was insane. Argue all you want, I can not accept any rationale for separating the Euro Twins as much as we did. 

I didn't vote. I really don't know. I think because Zetterberg is so ******* smart he might get the edge. To be able to change your game and adapt in a young mans league is a rare feat.

But Datsyuk is more skilled so.. Hard to vote.

Edited by kickazz

Datz just couldn't say healthy in the end. Here a question, what if Zetterberg went to the KHL and Datz was still a Wing? Are we better or worse last season? And lets say they are both 36 years old to even it up.

I think think we are worse last season and this. Datz can't even stay healthy in the KHL. 

Edited by xault

1 hour ago, xault said:

Datz just couldn't say healthy in the end. Here a question, what if Zetterberg went to the KHL and Datz was still a Wing? Are we better or worse last season? And lets say they are both 36 years old to even it up.

I think think we are worse last season and this. Datz can't even stay healthy in the KHL. 

Yeah Datsyuk wasn't that good in the KHL last year. He was well below PPG in an inferior league and he played with Kovalchuk..... If he was still on our team I don't think he would have even scored 40 points to be honest. But 36 year old Datsyuk makes the team better than the current Datsyuk. 

I would probably pick 36 year old Datsyuk over 36 year old Zetterberg if it came to  crucial game. But if it came to 82 games in a season I would pick Zetterberg. 

The thing is, Datsyuk might be better, but not by much. It's not like the difference is night and day. One happens to be more cerebral while the other is skilled. And if we're talking about volume of games then you have to go with the healthier guy because ultimately both Z and D are very similar PPG producers. 

Edited by kickazz

3 hours ago, kickazz said:

Yeah Datsyuk wasn't that good in the KHL last year. He was well below PPG in an inferior league and he played with Kovalchuk..... If he was still on our team I don't think he would have even scored 40 points to be honest. But 36 year old Datsyuk makes the team better than the current Datsyuk. 

I would probably pick 36 year old Datsyuk over 36 year old Zetterberg if it came to  crucial game. But if it came to 82 games in a season I would pick Zetterberg. 

The thing is, Datsyuk might be better, but not by much. It's not like the difference is night and day. One happens to be more cerebral while the other is skilled. And if we're talking about volume of games then you have to go with the healthier guy because ultimately both Z and D are very similar PPG producers. 

Yeah I more or less agree. Who do you think made there line mats better after the age of 34? It appears that anyone that every leaves Z side goes from a top 6 winger to a bottom 6 winger.

I think Z has had better talent to carry on his back than Datz was stuck with. I wonder what Larkin, Mantha, Vanek and a few others would of looked like on the wing of Datz.

8 hours ago, xault said:

Yeah I more or less agree. Who do you think made there line mats better after the age of 34? It appears that anyone that every leaves Z side goes from a top 6 winger to a bottom 6 winger.

I think Z has had better talent to carry on his back than Datz was stuck with. I wonder what Larkin, Mantha, Vanek and a few others would of looked like on the wing of Datz.

Well, statistically Dats always made everyones Corsi significantly higher so the advance stats answer is probably Datsyuk. But actual goals/assists (the end result so to speak) wise, Z made Hudler, Filpula, Samulssen, Larkin, Mantha, Abdelkader, Nyquist, Tatar, Brunner (the list goes on.. Bertuzzi, Cleary) all look like top 6 players, or better top 6 players. Most of Datsyuk's linemates were the better wingers on the team like Hossa, Franzen, Holmstrom, even Zetterberg himself. Towards the tail end of his career Datsyuk got stuck with Richards for a while though while Z got to play with Nyquist. 

Having said all that, if Zetterberg was ever slumping, Datsyuk was always the go-to player they put him with to get him going. The same wasn't true for Datsyuk, he rarely lost consistency and if he did, he usually found it back himself