• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wingnut1989

The Detroit Red Wings: Decline and Fall of an Empire(video)

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Kinda funny video  with a couple of the comments interjected. You wonder had Stevie taken over would we be better off? Or would he have tarnished his image with the fan base based on moves he might have made. 

Most likely. This franchise was legitimately on top for about 20 years which in completely unheard of. Since things started to go downhill, have some questionable/bad moves been made? 100%, there is no denying that. But no management team in sports can keep a team on top forever given the cyclical nature of sports. Had Yzerman taken over and this team went downhill, fans would be screaming at the captain, and wanting Holland back.

Whoever was steering the ship during the decline was going to get s*** on.

As far as this video goes, I'm not going to say that there are zero relevant points, but you guys can't be serious when you say its well done. For me, his tone is way too over the top.

27 minutes ago, kliq said:

Most likely. This franchise was legitimately on top for about 20 years which in completely unheard of. Since things started to go downhill, have some questionable/bad moves been made? 100%, there is no denying that. But no management team in sports can keep a team on top forever given the cyclical nature of sports. Had Yzerman taken over and this team went downhill, fans would be screaming at the captain, and wanting Holland back.

As far as this video goes, I'm not going to say that there are zero relevant points, but you guys can't be serious when you say its well done. For me, his tone is way too over the top.

Nah, Yzerman is perfect. We probably would have won another 2-3 Stanley Cups if he had taken over back in 2010.

I don't think the video was meant to be anything more than a satirical piece. I agree with some of the points as well, but anyone that agrees with the entire video, is over the top just like the commentator in the vid.

39 minutes ago, kliq said:

Things were clear after the team got destroyed by Nashville and when Lidstrom retired

Sure some elements of the video like the voice were funny but all the points are true. Stevie took over Tampa and told everyone what to expect, the Wings didn't accept reality that's all true. 

Funny I actually watched this yesterday. It's definitely mostly true but I think people should reserve their judgement until we miss the playoffs for a few years and we still don't have high end prospects in the system. The cupboard has been emptied expectedly. I mean it's a pretty knee jerk reaction to say the first year we missed the playoffs and we're back to the dead wings and will be bad for decades. Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. Fans of other franchises have been through much worse with no pay off and don't handle it as bad as wings fans

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

Things were clear after the team got destroyed by Nashville and when Lidstrom retired

Sure some elements of the video like the voice were funny but all the points are true. Stevie took over Tampa and told everyone what to expect, the Wings didn't accept reality that's all true. 

Yes I know u wanted to burn it to the ground after 2012. The problem with that is as long as Mike Illitch was the owner, that was NEVER going to happen.

As far as my personal views, we have had this debate 100 times on here, no need to go down that road again.

Mr. I wanted Steve as the GM period. There is no indication if he was on board with a rebuild or not also fact.

The video is telling the truth in a funny and entertaining way whether some people like it or not. 

Thankfully for the Wings the next draft should be better and they alongside Vegas should have the best odds at the first overall pick. 

Also if people wouldn't bring up the lame excuse of missing the playoffs for the first time there wouldn't be a need to remind them of what was sacrificed for that. 

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

Mr. I wanted Steve as the GM period. There is no indication if he was on board with a rebuild or not also fact.

The video is telling the truth in a funny and entertaining way whether some people like it or not. 

Thankfully for the Wings the next draft should be better and they alongside Vegas should have the best odds at the first overall pick. 

Also if people wouldn't bring up the lame excuse of missing the playoffs for the first time there wouldn't be a need to remind them of what was sacrificed for that. 

I call BS. If Mr. I wanted yzerman as his GM, Yzerman would have become the GM. As much power as Holland may have, he did not have more then Mr.I.

Mr. I was never on board with a rebuild, it went against his nature. this was well documented when he fired the Tigers GM DD for wanting to rebuild in 2015. This is truth whether you like it or not.

3 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

I think Mr I was a reload vs rebuild type guy. Granted never met the man but just my impression of him

Exactly, and that's what made him such a great owner. He was about going all in, always trying to do what he could to make his team as great as possible.

He wasnt a re-build/tank it/burn it to the ground/play the system kind of guy and I think most fans loved him for it. 

You can debate that mentality in a post cap world for sure, but you got to respect the guy for his desire to win.

i think the system Is going to change soon, I just read yesterday that the NBA is making changes to prevent the tanking mentality.....I'm sure the NHL will be soon to do the same. I say give all teams not in the playoffs a 1/15 chance of the first pick, then the same for the second etc.