• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Wonder what the odds are for the 1st overall...

Rate this topic

Off mlive.com this morning the odds of the cup being raised by a team. We are deeeead last with the other bottom feeders. Think at 100 to 1 50 bucks down would be worth the payoff...LOL

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/09/red_wings_tied_for_worst_stanl.html

browser double hit can a mod delete 1 of the 2 I accidentally posted

1 hour ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Off mlive.com this morning the odds of the cup being raised by a team. We are deeeead last with the other bottom feeders. Think at 100 to 1 50 bucks down would be worth the payoff...LOL

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/09/red_wings_tied_for_worst_stanl.html

browser double hit can a mod delete 1 of the 2 I accidentally posted

Looking at it positively it means the Wings only have 1 other team to beat in order to get the best odds at the first overall 

As much as I'd love to have a line with the Svechnikov bro's in the future, Dahlin looks to good to pass up (if we have the opportunity). An absolute stud, can't miss, elite, number one defenseman that we sorely need, being labeled as a cross between Hedman and Karlsson... Yes please!

Maybe our (new?) GM can pull off some magic like Burkie did back in '99 and get us the top 2 picks (I know Burke got #2 and #3), and get both Dahlin and Svechnikov...

5 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

As much as I'd love to have a line with the Svechnikov bro's in the future, Dahlin looks to good to pass up (if we have the opportunity). An absolute stud, can't miss, elite, number one defenseman that we sorely need, being labeled as a cross between Hedman and Karlsson... Yes please!

Maybe our (new?) GM can pull off some magic like Burkie did back in '99 and get us the top 2 picks (I know Burke got #2 and #3), and get both Dahlin and Svechnikov...

But if the "new" GM pulled of a Burke I wouldn't complain...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

And, from what I've seen of him, that label seems genuinely appropriate (for once). Kid is an absolute stud. He even Kronwalls people!

A. Svechnikov is pretty much equally studly and is being hyped up as the most promising Russian prospect since Malkin and possibly even Ovechkin. The problem ("problem") is, he's a winger. Ovechkin's a winger, but he's arguably the greatest goal-scorer in NHL history. And Malkin's a franchise centerman. The Wings need top-end talent at every position, but everyone knows a Dahlin-type defenseman is at the top of the organization's wish list.

(I think you and I are both in agreement on this stuff. I'm saying this more for people who aren't at all familiar with Dahlin and/or A. Svechnikov.)

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

There would be riots in the streets of every major Canadian city. The league would be forced to shut down indefinitely. It would be chaos, anarchy. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

I want it. I want it so badly. :lol:

8 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

D make me nervous though that high in the draft, so many D that are drafted early just turn into duds. Is this kid really a can't miss?

32 minutes ago, kliq said:

D make me nervous though that high in the draft, so many D that are drafted early just turn into duds. Is this kid really a can't miss?

Personally, I don't think anyone short of Crosby or McDavid is a can't-miss. But, yes, Dahlin is looking very much like a future franchise defenseman.

2 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Personally, I don't think anyone short of Crosby or McDavid is a can't-miss. But, yes, Dahlin is looking very much like a future franchise defenseman.

If we get him, we will also have a new leader for the mafia! Z only has 2 years left, right? :lol:

57 minutes ago, kliq said:

I hear ya, but it's not very often that a defenseman is regarded this high leading up to a draft. The last two I can remember that were considered "can't miss", total package (skill and size), were Ekblad in 2014 and Hedman in 2009. Dahlin is exactly what this team needs in my opinion.

I have seen Dahlin play live twice now. He's 17 and it's his second year in SHL, Sweden's top league. Right now he's about 6'2, 180ish pounds. He'll probably end up 6'3-6'4, 190lbs with about Erik Karlsson's skill set.

Think Victor Hedman from Tampa Bay with Karlsson's offensive ability. He'll define whatever team he ends up on for over a decade.

I don't care where we draft.  If we don't take a center with #1 upside, or a defenseman with the same, then we're not one iota better.  Those have been our two most glaring issues for about 10 drafts now, and remain that way still. 

40 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

I don't care where we draft.  If we don't take a center with #1 upside, or a defenseman with the same, then we're not one iota better.  Those have been our two most glaring issues for about 10 drafts now, and remain that way still. 

I agree to an extent. There's no question center and defense remain to be our two biggest areas of weakness, and wing is by far our biggest area of strength. However, let's just say we end up drafting 2nd overall, and Dahlin is off the board. Assuming not much changes between now and then, I'd take Svechnikov (who looks to be far better than any of Tkatchuk, Veleno, Hughes, Merkley, etc) without hesitation. I know it's not easy to trade for a top line center or top pair defenseman, but that's the route I'd go if young Svechnikov ends up falling in our lap. I still maintain that trading for a young prospect with potential could be the way to go.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I agree to an extent. There's no question center and defense remain to be our two biggest areas of weakness, and wing is by far our biggest area of strength. However, let's just say we end up drafting 2nd overall, and Dahlin is off the board. Assuming not much changes between now and then, I'd take Svechnikov (who looks to be far better than any of Tkatchuk, Veleno, Hughes, Merkley, etc) without hesitation. I know it's not easy to trade for a top line center or top pair defenseman, but that's the route I'd go if young Svechnikov ends up falling in our lap. I still maintain that trading for a young prospect with potential could be the way to go.

Agreed.

At this time, Dahlin and Svechnikov appear to be a notch or two (or three, or four...) above the rest of the draft class. And it's widely believed this is going to be a relatively deep draft class, so that's saying something. We do currently need a top-tier defenseman and a top-tier centerman very badly, but Dahlin and Svechnikov are both looking like franchise gamechangers. It's not necessarily a stretch to say Svechnikov projects as a bigger, meaner Tarasenko/Kucherov.

Plus, he wants to be a Red Wing. :cool:

Edited by Dabura

9 hours ago, Dabura said:

Agreed.

At this time, Dahlin and Svechnikov appear to be a notch or two (or three, or four...) above the rest of the draft class. And it's widely believed this is going to be a relatively deep draft class, so that's saying something. We do currently need a top-tier defenseman and a top-tier centerman very badly, but Dahlin and Svechnikov are both looking like franchise gamechangers. It's not necessarily a stretch to say Svechnikov projects as a bigger, meaner Tarasenko/Kucherov.

Plus, he wants to be a Red Wing. :cool:

Yeah, if we can get ourselves a 35-40 goal, 75-85 point producing winger, I'd be okay with that... The fact that he's Evgeny's brother would just add to the excitement. I'm sure the brothers would be thrilled to play on the same team as early as next season. Imagine Evgeny playing all season in Grand Rapids (I doubt he does), and then both of them make the team out of training camp next season...

But like I said before, if we do get the number one pick, I think we'd have to take Dahlin. He looks to be the slightly better player, according to most scouts and analysts, he fills a much bigger need, and top end defensemen in general are just so much harder to acquire than top end wingers. Just give us two of them please...

Here's a scenario... We finish just outside of the playoffs. We win the draft lottery despite having the worst odds of any team. We draft Rasmus Dahlin first overall. *Vegas* drafts Andrei Svechnikov second overall. Svech pulls a Lindros and refuses to play in Vegas. Demands a trade to Detroit. McPhee has to sell low and trades Svechnikov to Detroit for peanuts. Red Wings turn things around over night and win multiple Stanley Cups over the next 10 years. *wakes up*...