• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
AtlantaHotWings

Wonder what the odds are for the 1st overall...

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, if we can get ourselves a 35-40 goal, 75-85 point producing winger, I'd be okay with that... The fact that he's Evgeny's brother would just add to the excitement. I'm sure the brothers would be thrilled to play on the same team as early as next season. Imagine Evgeny playing all season in Grand Rapids (I doubt he does), and then both of them make the team out of training camp next season...

But like I said before, if we do get the number one pick, I think we'd have to take Dahlin. He looks to be the slightly better player, according to most scouts and analysts, he fills a much bigger need, and top end defensemen in general are just so much harder to acquire than top end wingers. Just give us two of them please...

My heart says Svechbro. My head says Dahlin.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Here's a scenario... We finish just outside of the playoffs. We win the draft lottery despite having the worst odds of any team. We draft Rasmus Dahlin first overall. *Vegas* drafts Andrei Svechnikov second overall. Svech pulls a Lindros and refuses to play in Vegas. Demands a trade to Detroit. McPhee has to sell low and trades Svechnikov to Detroit for peanuts. Red Wings turn things around over night and win multiple Stanley Cups over the next 10 years. *wakes up*...

"If I were to wish for anything, I should not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye which, ever young and ardent, sees the possible. Pleasure disappoints, possibility never. And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!" - Kierkegaard

On 9/14/2017 at 9:12 PM, Dabura said:

Personally, I don't think anyone short of Crosby or McDavid is a can't-miss. But, yes, Dahlin is looking very much like a future franchise defenseman.

Dahlin or Svechnikov or bust.

41 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

How do we get both? Lol

If we get the #1 pick? Convince the #2 team to surrender their #2 pick to us as well. Lol

I like Valeno so far.  And Dahlin, obviously.  I don't want/care about Svechnikov.  We don't need another winger, and I'm not convinced that a stud winger, without a quality center, can be a difference maker when it comes to the Cup.  There are tons of super high end wingers who will never realistically compete for the Cup because they don't have top flight centers and defensemen on their teams.  Hell, Ovechkin is one of the best wingers of all time, AND he's got a better center and #1 defenseman than we've got, and still there is no Cup in Washington.  You could put 2 or 3 Andrei Svechnikov's on Detroit's team and they wouldn't win without a top center and top defenseman.  And since you can't really trade for either one, you've got to draft them.  So why would you draft anything other than a center or defenseman if you were Detroit?

5 hours ago, kipwinger said:

I like Valeno so far.  And Dahlin, obviously.  I don't want/care about Svechnikov.  We don't need another winger, and I'm not convinced that a stud winger, without a quality center, can be a difference maker when it comes to the Cup.  There are tons of super high end wingers who will never realistically compete for the Cup because they don't have top flight centers and defensemen on their teams.  Hell, Ovechkin is one of the best wingers of all time, AND he's got a better center and #1 defenseman than we've got, and still there is no Cup in Washington.  You could put 2 or 3 Andrei Svechnikov's on Detroit's team and they wouldn't win without a top center and top defenseman.  And since you can't really trade for either one, you've got to draft them.  So why would you draft anything other than a center or defenseman if you were Detroit?

No , we don't have the pieces to trade for a top center / defenseman in their prime, but I believe we do have the pieces to trade for a young up-and-coming center / defenseman that has the potential to become top end. If you look around the league at the young 19-21 year old prospects, not many are untouchable. Of course, not many are going to become top end either, but there are a few that could that could be available. I completely agree that we need a top line center and a legit number one defenseman. I also agree that the best way to do that is through the draft, I just don't think it's the only way.

What if we did have the number 2 overall pick next year and Dahlin does go number 1? Who would you take? If you're not going to take Svechnikov, you'd have to trade down. There would be many teams dying to make that trade, to draft the elite winger. But would it be worth it? I'm not so sure. One thing I do know, if Holland did that, Red Wing fans everywhere would riot...

On 9/21/2017 at 8:39 AM, krsmith17 said:

No , we don't have the pieces to trade for a top center / defenseman in their prime, but I believe we do have the pieces to trade for a young up-and-coming center / defenseman that has the potential to become top end. If you look around the league at the young 19-21 year old prospects, not many are untouchable. Of course, not many are going to become top end either, but there are a few that could that could be available. I completely agree that we need a top line center and a legit number one defenseman. I also agree that the best way to do that is through the draft, I just don't think it's the only way.

What if we did have the number 2 overall pick next year and Dahlin does go number 1? Who would you take? If you're not going to take Svechnikov, you'd have to trade down. There would be many teams dying to make that trade, to draft the elite winger. But would it be worth it? I'm not so sure. One thing I do know, if Holland did that, Red Wing fans everywhere would riot...

If we had the #2, and Dahlin went first overall, I'd trade back and try to pick up a late round pick.  Supposedly it's a deep defensive draft, so draft a center early and try to get a quality defender later.  Of course, it's really too early to tell how I'd rank these kids on draft day but right now I'd target Valeno early in the round and a defenseman later.

3 hours ago, kipwinger said:

If we had the #2, and Dahlin went first overall, I'd trade back and try to pick up a late round pick.  Supposedly it's a deep defensive draft, so draft a center early and try to get a quality defender later.  Of course, it's really too early to tell how I'd rank these kids on draft day but right now I'd target Valeno early in the round and a defenseman later.

Fair enough. As of right now, I'd have a hard time passing on Svechnikov, but I guess I see your angle in trading down. Hopefully we barely miss the playoffs and win the draft lottery (1st overall)...