• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Will Tyler Bertuzzi Make the Team Out of Camp?

Rate this topic

Probably not.  If AA isn't signed they'll keep one of the vets on a PTO.

Miss the playoffs by a mile?  Why make any significant roster changes or get a new coach? Let's just hope everyone who had a down year improves and that adding a 2nd pair caliber D to a team with zero first pair D will make all the difference in the world. 

Yes. I doubt Athanasiou has much if any bearing on whether or not Bertuzzi makes the roster. My prediction is our lineup looking something like this with everyone healthy...

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Mantha

Tatar - Larkin - Abdelkader

Helm - Nielsen - Athanasiou

Bertuzzi - Sheahan - Glendening

Witkowski

Daley - Green

DeKeyser - Jensen

Kronwall - Ericsson

Ouellet / Sproul

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes. I doubt Athanasiou has much if any bearing on whether or not Bertuzzi makes the roster. My prediction is our lineup looking something like this with everyone healthy...

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Mantha

Tatar - Larkin - Abdelkader

Helm - Nielsen - Athanasiou

Bertuzzi - Sheahan - Glendening

Witkowski

Daley - Green

DeKeyser - Jensen

Kronwall - Ericsson

Ouellet / Sproul

I'll be surprised if Daley is paired with Green. And according to HSJ, Blashill intends to run Zetterberg, Nielsen, Sheahan as our top three centers. (See my correction post below.)

But, yeah, I can see Bertuzzi making the team. I can also see him not making it, though. ¯\(º_o)/¯

Kinda sad that this, to me, is the big training camp storyline.

Edited by Dabura

5 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'll be surprised if Daley is paired with Green. And according to HSJ, Blashill intends to run Zetterberg, Nielsen, Sheahan as our top three centers.

But, yeah, I can see Bertuzzi making the team. I can also see him not making it, though. ¯\(º_o)/¯

Actually, I just realized that running Sheahan at center doesn't necessarily mean Larkin won't be at center. And, indeed, HSJ makes it sound like he will be. Which is good.

Brain fart on my part.

31 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'll be surprised if Daley is paired with Green. And according to HSJ, Blashill intends to run Zetterberg, Nielsen, Sheahan as our top three centers. (See my correction post below.)

Yeah, those pairings are basically what I'd like to see (aside from the 3rd pair), not what I think we'll see. DeKeyser proved last season that he's better suiting in a 2nd pairing role, and although I'm not sure if Daley would be any better, to me it's worth a shot...

24 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Actually, I just realized that running Sheahan at center doesn't necessarily mean Larkin won't be at center. And, indeed, HSJ makes it sound like he will be. Which is good.

Brain fart on my part.

Yeah, everything I've heard / read has indicated that Larkin will be given every opportunity to start at center, and that it's a toss-up between he and Nielsen as our 2nd / 3rd line center.

4 minutes ago, kliq said:

My gut tells me that Sheahan will be a Penguin soon, so if this happens and we sign AA, then I guess yes.

I've heard a lot of rumblings on this potential trade, but I honestly doubt it happens. It wouldn't be the worst thing though if we gain a mid to high pick, and give us the cap space to get Athanasiou signed...

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, those pairings are basically what I'd like to see (aside from the 3rd pair), not what I think we'll see. DeKeyser proved last season that he's better suiting in a 2nd pairing role, and although I'm not sure if Daley would be any better, to me it's worth a shot...

Yeah, everything I've heard / read has indicated that Larkin will be given every opportunity to start at center, and that it's a toss-up between he and Nielsen as our 2nd / 3rd line center.

I'd be cool with Ouellet-Green / Daley-DeKeyser as our top-four. I feel Daley and Green are too similar and having them together could make our pairings imbalanced, too top-heavy.

Re: the center situation...I was just assuming Glendening would be our 4C and that Sheahan being at center therefore meant Blashill had him slotted as our 3C. I think Sheahan should be our 4C and it sounds like that's the plan, so hurray for that, I s'pose. As for Larkin...probably 3C, right?

Overall, I think your roster's realistic. If Bertuzzi makes the cut, he's probably a fourth-line winger.

Guess we'll see what we see. ehhhh...

7 minutes ago, Dabura said:

I'd be cool with Ouellet-Green / Daley-DeKeyser as our top-four. I feel Daley and Green are too similar and having them together could make our pairings imbalanced, too top-heavy.

Re: the center situation...I was just assuming Glendening would be our 4C and that Sheahan being at center therefore meant Blashill had him slotted as our 3C. I think Sheahan should be our 4C and it sounds like that's the plan, so hurray for that, I s'pose. As for Larkin...probably 3C, right?

Overall, I think your roster's realistic. If Bertuzzi makes the cut, he's probably a fourth-line winger.

Guess we'll see what we see. ehhhh...

Yeah, I'd be okay with that top 4, but everything I've read has indicated that Ouellet will likely start as our number 7, so I highly doubt he will start on the top pair.

I've also read that Larkin is likely to at least start the season as our 2C, leaving Nielsen as our 3C. And also that Glendening may be slotted on Sheahan's wing...

But yeah, a lot can happen in training camp / preseason, so we shall see how it all plays out...

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I'd be okay with that top 4, but everything I've read has indicated that Ouellet will likely start as our number 7, so I highly doubt he will start on the top pair.

I've also read that Larkin is likely to at least start the season as our 2C, leaving Nielsen as our 3C. And also that Glendening may be slotted on Sheahan's wing...

But yeah, a lot can happen in training camp / preseason, so we shall see how it all plays out...

Cool beans. I haven't been following the diggers/Malik too closely this summer, so you have a better feel for this than I do atm.

Edited by Dabura

10 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Cool beans. I haven't been following the diggers/Malik too closely this summer, so you have a better feel for this than I do atm.

I don't follow Malik, or Helene. Not a fan of either (to put it mildly). My go-to has and always will be Khan.

27 minutes ago, kickazz said:

A $5.5 million 3C is just outstanding

Not really, but $925K for a 2C is. Money is poorly used all over this lineup. $4.25M for a mediocre bottom pairing defenseman is probably the worst though... Give Ken Holland an extension ASAP, he's doing an admirable job...

4 hours ago, kliq said:

My gut tells me that Sheahan will be a Penguin soon, so if this happens and we sign AA, then I guess yes.

If Sheahan is traded, Holland will still not budge on overpaying AA off of his ELC, so my guess is bith PAP and Booth make the opening night roster. 

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

If Sheahan is traded, Holland will still not budge on overpaying AA off of his ELC, so my guess is bith PAP and Booth make the opening night roster. 

I think Holland would budge, but not to 3mil. I could see him offering somewhere in the 1.9 - 2.2 range.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I've heard a lot of rumblings on this potential trade, but I honestly doubt it happens. It wouldn't be the worst thing though if we gain a mid to high pick, and give us the cap space to get Athanasiou signed...

Ya, there has been a lot of talk in Pittsburgh lately about this. Elliot Freedman tweeted something out about it the other day.

Here are a couple articles I found. I think the first is a legit paper, the second seems to be a fan site, so take that one with a grain of salt.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/penguins/2017/09/13/riley-sheahan-penguins-trade-rumors-detroit-red-wings-nhl-2017-season/stories/201709130143

https://www.pensburgh.com/2017/9/13/16302762/nhl-trade-rumors-price-right-for-riley-sheahan-in-a-detroit-to-pittsburgh-trade