• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

Pre-Season Games

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Has Zetterberg not been practicing? I havent seen him in the last scrimmage or preseason line ups

Yes, Zetterberg has been practicing with the team. Will likely play in one of the next two pre-season games. Maybe home opener on Saturday?

Kronwall has been practicing on his own. Hoping to start practicing with the team soon, and be ready for game one of the regular season against Minnesota. Likely won't play any pre-season games.

I'd be surprised if Kronwall plays more than 20 games this season to be honest...

13 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

Mantha has been hitting the weight room, very nice. Easy to discern.

Larkin looks thin though. He will be royally punished if he plays 2c I believe. Well well I may be wrong,

Mantha is a beast. I think he's going to do some serious damage this season.

I don't think Larkin is that thin. 190lbs. isn't bad for a 21 year old. He should be pushing 200lbs. by the time he's Mantha's age, if not sooner. Any bigger than that, it would likely affect his speed.

His first full season (hopefully) as our 2C, there will definitely be some growing pains, but I think he'll be able to handle it.

A lot of talk of Sheehan being sent to Pittsburgh as soon as AA's deal is signed

32 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Mantha is a beast. I think he's going to do some serious damage this season.

I don't think Larkin is that thin. 190lbs. isn't bad for a 21 year old. He should be pushing 200lbs. by the time he's Mantha's age, if not sooner. Any bigger than that, it would likely affect his speed.

His first full season (hopefully) as our 2C, there will definitely be some growing pains, but I think he'll be able to handle it.

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect close to 30 goals from Mantha this season

4 hours ago, Jacksoni said:

Mantha has been hitting the weight room, very nice. Easy to discern.

Larkin looks thin though. He will be royally punished if he plays 2c I believe. Well well I may be wrong,

Apparently he went from 217 lbs to 230 lbs in the offseason. Guess a broken finger doesn't stop one from lifting weights.

I think putting Abby and Mantha with Larkin will help Larkin with the physical side of things.  

7 minutes ago, sputman said:

I want Hicketts on the team right now. What a battler he is.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if he's quite ready, but he continues to impress.

Nyquist snipes on the power-play!

3 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

How does the DD-Daley pairing look?

Meh. Hicketts has been by far the best defenseman. Not even close.

13 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Hicketts has been our best defenseman tonight. This is encouraging and troubling.

I take the positive from that. Very encouraging.

DeKeyser and Daley should probably be better. Ouellet hasn't had a great game, but most know I'm not that high on him anyway. Russo and Renouf are borderline NHLers. I don't think there's any doubt that Hicketts will be an NHLer, it's just a matter of how good an NHL defenseman he becomes. Probably tops out as a very good bottom pairing defenseman, but I don't think top 4 is out of the question...

2 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I take the positive from that. Very encouraging.

DeKeyser and Daley should probably be better. Ouellet hasn't had a great game, but most know I'm not that high on him anyway. Russo and Renouf are borderline NHLers. I don't think there's any doubt that Hicketts will be an NHLer, it's just a matter of how good an NHL defenseman he becomes. Probably tops out as a very good bottom pairing defenseman, but I don't think top 4 is out of the question...

Agreed. I just saw an opportunity to take a cheap shot at our D situation and I took it. :ph34r:

So I was at the game last night.  It was a fun game to watch.  The good guys didn't win, but fun nevertheless.  

- Nyquist looked like guy we saw in his rookie year.  Fast, shifty, bullet shot.  By far the best player on the ice last night. 
- Howard looked unbeatable in the first period, but collapsed in the 2nd.  The defense didn't really help him out much though.  I know we had a lot of GR players out there, but when two no name Penguins scored in less than a minute, DK and Daley were the pairing for those goals.
- Sticking with the defense, our coverage overall on defense was ridiculous.  If there's a shot on net and its not immediately pushed into the corner, its most likely going in.  Nobody could clear the puck if it was loose around our net.  It won't matter if its Howard, Mrazek or a young Dominik Hasek clone, defense needs to be better especially around our own net.
- David Booth is a guy I'm really rooting for this preseason.  Born in Detroit, grew up as a Wings fan, is a long shot to make the team, but watching him in warm ups and then during the game he REALLY wants to be here.  He was the last one to leave during warm ups and didn't leave until they finally kicked him off the ice.  During the game, he hustled his butt off and worked really hard every shift.  He looked like a guy that knows he won't be there for long, so he's going to soak up every second of this opportunity to be a Red Wing.  I'm not saying I'd rather have him over AA, but Booth clearly wants to be here and AA is sitting at home thinking about signing a piece of paper instead of playing hockey.
- This new standard for calling slashing penalties is really absurd.  Basically, if your stick touches the puck carriers hands or arms, you get called for slashing.  It doesn't even have to be a hard whack.  It can be a tap and its getting called.  Also, "Faceoff Violation"... I swear the NHL tries to think of ways to ruin the game.  Apparently, its an old rule that is getting enforced now and it couldn't be more lame.  So you're sitting there waiting for a faceoff, when all of a sudden the ref leaves the faceoff circle, there's more waiting around as a two minute minor gets put on the board for a faceoff violation.  Talk about slowing the game down.  Its absurd that you can whack a guy in the face with your stick, cross check the heck out of someone, swing your stick like a baseball bat and hit someone, blast a guy from behind near the boards, leave your feet and hit a guy in the head and get the same penalty as a violating the rules of a proper faceoff.  This enforcement has to die in the preseason.  If not, imagine the chaos that will ensue if its called at a critical point of a playoff game.
- Love the new 3 vs 3 OT though.  The NHL got that one right.  It didn't work out for us last night, but its damn exciting and we'll probably never see a shootout again because of it.  There's no way NHL caliber players won't score a goal 3 on 3 for 5 minutes.
- I won't stress over the outcome too much, it was the first preseason game for all these players.  Even Matt Murray didn't look that great last night.  Having said that, we put more talent on the ice than the Pens did, so rusty or not, we should have won.  Hopefully as a complete team, we'll gel better, but I didn't like seeing these Pens players that are no where near as talented as some of their big name stars on their team, out perform players that we'll be depending on this season.

Seeing the Wings in person is always great, but it'd be even better if they won. The Wings are now 0-5 in games I go to see them in person and give up 5+ goals in each of those games.  I'm starting to think I'm bad luck. lol

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I expect a big season out of Nyquist. He will still be an overpaid, soft Euro to most on here though, even if he puts up 30 goals, 60 points...

After that game, his trade value is at an all time high! But of course kenny won't pull the trigger UGGHHJSKSND we're doomed! 

/s 

:innocent: