• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

krsmith17

Pre-Season Games

Rate this topic

45 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

So I was at the game last night.  It was a fun game to watch.  The good guys didn't win, but fun nevertheless.  

- Nyquist looked like guy we saw in his rookie year.  Fast, shifty, bullet shot.  By far the best player on the ice last night. 
- Howard looked unbeatable in the first period, but collapsed in the 2nd.  The defense didn't really help him out much though.  I know we had a lot of GR players out there, but when two no name Penguins scored in less than a minute, DK and Daley were the pairing for those goals.
- Sticking with the defense, our coverage overall on defense was ridiculous.  If there's a shot on net and its not immediately pushed into the corner, its most likely going in.  Nobody could clear the puck if it was loose around our net.  It won't matter if its Howard, Mrazek or a young Dominik Hasek clone, defense needs to be better especially around our own net.
- David Booth is a guy I'm really rooting for this preseason.  Born in Detroit, grew up as a Wings fan, is a long shot to make the team, but watching him in warm ups and then during the game he REALLY wants to be here.  He was the last one to leave during warm ups and didn't leave until they finally kicked him off the ice.  During the game, he hustled his butt off and worked really hard every shift.  He looked like a guy that knows he won't be there for long, so he's going to soak up every second of this opportunity to be a Red Wing.  I'm not saying I'd rather have him over AA, but Booth clearly wants to be here and AA is sitting at home thinking about signing a piece of paper instead of playing hockey.
- This new standard for calling slashing penalties is really absurd.  Basically, if your stick touches the puck carriers hands or arms, you get called for slashing.  It doesn't even have to be a hard whack.  It can be a tap and its getting called.  Also, "Faceoff Violation"... I swear the NHL tries to think of ways to ruin the game.  Apparently, its an old rule that is getting enforced now and it couldn't be more lame.  So you're sitting there waiting for a faceoff, when all of a sudden the ref leaves the faceoff circle, there's more waiting around as a two minute minor gets put on the board for a faceoff violation.  Talk about slowing the game down.  Its absurd that you can whack a guy in the face with your stick, cross check the heck out of someone, swing your stick like a baseball bat and hit someone, blast a guy from behind near the boards, leave your feet and hit a guy in the head and get the same penalty as a violating the rules of a proper faceoff.  This enforcement has to die in the preseason.  If not, imagine the chaos that will ensue if its called at a critical point of a playoff game.
- Love the new 3 vs 3 OT though.  The NHL got that one right.  It didn't work out for us last night, but its damn exciting and we'll probably never see a shootout again because of it.  There's no way NHL caliber players won't score a goal 3 on 3 for 5 minutes.
- I won't stress over the outcome too much, it was the first preseason game for all these players.  Even Matt Murray didn't look that great last night.  Having said that, we put more talent on the ice than the Pens did, so rusty or not, we should have won.  Hopefully as a complete team, we'll gel better, but I didn't like seeing these Pens players that are no where near as talented as some of their big name stars on their team, out perform players that we'll be depending on this season.

Seeing the Wings in person is always great, but it'd be even better if they won. The Wings are now 0-5 in games I go to see them in person and give up 5+ goals in each of those games.  I'm starting to think I'm bad luck. lol

I agree completely on Nyquist. He looked great, albeit against lesser competition for the most part, but I expect him to rebound in a big way this season.

I also agree on Booth. He looked good for a PTO. He was a lot faster than I thought he was, and he looked engaged all night. I was more impressed with him than Parenteau. I wouldn't hate if we signed him to be our 12th / 13th forward.

The penalties are always out of hand during pre-season and the first few games of the season. They'll tone them back by mid to late October. I agree on the level of ridiculousness of the faceoff violation though. Make sure they're lined up properly and drop the damn puck. A two minute penalty for having your foot ahead an inch or two is crazy.

As for the 3-on-3, you know this rule was implemented last season right?

And yes, you are bad luck, and you should never go to a Red Wings games again, at least not an important one... :tounge2:

1 minute ago, krsmith17 said:

As for the 3-on-3, you know this rule was implemented last season right?

And yes, you are bad luck, and you should never go to a Red Wings games again, at least not an important one... :tounge2:

3 on 3 was implemented last year?  Hmm.  Maybe I did know that, but I must have forgot.  Whoops!

Hey, if the playoff streak can end, this losing streak when going to games can end too.  Just hope it doesn't take 26 years. lol

2 minutes ago, Dominator2005 said:

Hicketts game is comparable to who exactly (didn't had a chance to watch him yet)? 

To be honest, I'd compare him to a young Kronwall. He's a nice bit smaller than Kronner at just 5'8", but he's a built like a brick wall, and loves to hit everything that moves. Everyone is bigger than him, but he doesn't care if they're an inch taller, or a foot taller, he's throwing everything he has at them, and usually knocks them down, or at least off the puck. He's a smooth skater, and very good all around, defensively and offensively. He's great at blocking shots and winning puck battles (despite his size), and he has a good first pass, and always gets his shot through on the point. I'd say his best qualities are his will and determination and his hockey IQ. Very smart player.

Tonight vs Chicago...

Street - Sheahan - Frk

Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Booth

Lorito - Holmstrom - Ford

Esposito - Elson - Witkowski

Ericsson - Jensen

Cholowski - Hronek

Sulak - Green

Mrazek

Coreau

I'm thinking we'll see a little more of a star studded lineup (aka most regulars) Saturday for the home opener...

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

To be honest, I'd compare him to a young Kronwall. He's a nice bit smaller than Kronner at just 5'8", but he's a built like a brick wall, and loves to hit everything that moves. Everyone is bigger than him, but he doesn't care if they're an inch taller, or a foot taller, he's throwing everything he has at them, and usually knocks them down, or at least off the puck. He's a smooth skater, and very good all around, defensively and offensively. He's great at blocking shots and winning puck battles (despite his size), and he has a good first pass, and always gets his shot through on the point. I'd say his best qualities are his will and determination and his hockey IQ. Very smart player.

So we will have an NHL def in Hickett? 

I don't think there's any question he'll be an NHL defenseman, it's just a matter of how good of an NHL defenseman... Also, what team he will play for...

51 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Drew Miller released from PTO by the Hawks... eh?

:scared: <--- That's my shocked face...

2 hours ago, Dominator2005 said:

So we will have an NHL def in Hickett? 

Has all the tools, got the mindset. He is however small enough to warrant if it is at all possible. 10 years ago the answer would have been a clear no, 20 years ago he would not have gotten a spot on the farm clubs.

So game is changing which favors Hicketts, however the law of force=mass x acceleration (F=MA) still applies. On skates that force is considerable mostly due to higher speeds upon collision.

So can he play on the big club regularly? Heck if I know. Only one way to find out. I am predicting he'll get a few games this season to see what's up with that.

5 minutes ago, Jacksoni said:

Has all the tools, got the mindset. He is however small enough to warrant if it is at all possible. 10 years ago the answer would have been a clear no, 20 years ago he would not have gotten a spot on the farm clubs.

So game is changing which favors Hicketts, however the law of force=mass x acceleration (F=MA) still applies. On skates that force is considerable mostly due to higher speeds upon collision.

So can he play on the big club regularly? Heck if I know. Only one way to find out. I am predicting he'll get a few games this season to see what's up with that.

Not to be a know-it-all, but I'm pretty sure your equation is wrong...

It's: force = mass x acceleration + (truculence x gumption) / respect for da system

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Drew Miller released from PTO by the Hawks... eh?

Yup like we didn't see that one coming, Petty much the end of the road for Drew Miller time.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Tonight vs Chicago...

Street - Sheahan - Frk

Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Booth

Lorito - Holmstrom - Ford

Esposito - Elson - Witkowski

Ericsson - Jensen

Cholowski - Hronek

Sulak - Green

Mrazek

Coreau

I'm thinking we'll see a little more of a star studded lineup (aka most regulars) Saturday for the home opener...

Ouch and woof.

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Not to be a know-it-all, but I'm pretty sure your equation is wrong...

It's: force = mass x acceleration + (truculence x gumption) / respect for da system

If those variables apply when a collision occurs, respect to your street hood equations.

Being scientific and all, I would fund you say a couple hundred bucks to get your booty to Stockholm to try that live experiment on yours truly.

1 minute ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Yup like we didn't see that one coming, Petty much the end of the road for Drew Miller time.

How can Drew Miller be dead when Silver Fox is forever?

Just now, Jacksoni said:

If those variables apply when a collision occurs, respect to your street hood equations.

Being scientific and all, I would fund you say a couple hundred bucks to get your booty to Stockholm to try that live experiment on yours truly.

I'm not too good at hockey per say, but I must warn you... my intangibles are off the charts