• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Pierre McGuire on Wings-Tavares

Rate this topic

https://streamable.com/45pfi

Credit to Kalamazoo-to-Cali over at Winging It In Motown.

tl;dl Pierre was confident Stamkos would re-sign with the Bolts. He doesn't feel that confidence re: Tavares and the Isles. He feels that the Wings and Sabres could, hypothetically, be the biggest players.

Not sure I agree with him. And, I mean, it's Pierre, so...yeah. But it's something. I guess.

Dahlin/Svechnikov + Tavares? A fan can dream.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Dahlin/Svechnikov + Tavares? A fan can dream.

A bit of an oxymoron. Tavares likely wants a team competing in playoffs. Dahlin/Svech means the team isnt.

The question is, which one would you rather have. 

Edited by kickazz

12 minutes ago, kickazz said:

A bit of an oxymoron. Tavares likely wants a team competing in playoffs. Dahlin/Svech means the team isnt.

The question is, which one would you rather have.

Eh, we don't know what Tavares would want. Maybe it'd be all about money. Maybe us landing Dahlin/Svechnikov on top of the pretty decent stable of forwards we already have would make him think, "If you add me to this mix, this could be a solid team for the next 5+ years." Ultimately, it's all speculation and conjecture.

Which would I rather have? Tough call, but I'd probably go with the kid. If we want to re-establish ourselves as a perennial contender, we're going to need a new nucleus of young franchise players. Dahlin/Svechnikov would be a big step in that direction.

Holland could do it. We do have to re-sign Mantha/Larkin (lets say 5-6 million total) and JT would likely want around 10, that means we need 16mil in cap space.

Green is a UFA (6mil), Howard can be traded with 1 year left (5.3 mil), Weiss's cap hit drops (1mil). That right there is 12.3 million. I'm sure we can clear 3.7 mil if we needed to. In this type of situation, I'd be fine buying out a player like E, or if Kronwall goes LTIR......problem solved.

Abby/Helm/Glendening would not screw us from getting JT like some may think.

I think Pierre's whole idea is that Tavares becoming the face of Red Wings, an original 6 franchise, is the attraction here. Same was preached about Stamkos. I don't buy it, and I think Tavares re-signs with NYI. He's been pretty upfront about wanting to remain with the team that drafted him. But of course the media has to talk about something...

11 minutes ago, kliq said:

Holland could do it. We do have to re-sign Mantha/Larkin (lets say 5-6 million total) and JT would likely want around 10, that means we need 16mil in cap space.

Green is a UFA (6mil), Howard can be traded with 1 year left (5.3 mil), Weiss's cap hit drops (1mil). That right there is 12.3 million. I'm sure we can clear 3.7 mil if we needed to. In this type of situation, I'd be fine buying out a player like E, or if Kronwall goes LTIR......problem solved.

Abby/Helm/Glendening would not screw us from getting JT like some may think.

It definitely could be done. I just think that would be way too much wheeling and dealing for Ken Holland. Who knows what will happen there though...

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think Pierre's whole idea is that Tavares becoming the face of Red Wings, an original 6 franchise, is the attraction here. Same was preached about Stamkos. I don't buy it, and I think Tavares re-signs with NYI. He's been pretty upfront about wanting to remain with the team that drafted him. But of course the media has to talk about something...

I don't really buy it either. But I do think if Tavares hits the market, Holland will make a very serious push.

This does seem like a long shot, but who knows...

Was he close with Nielsen? That also could help us out, if that were true.

2 hours ago, xtrememachine1 said:

We're over the cap as it is, how in the world would we land Tavares?  And why would he want to come to Detroit?  I feel like he's making this up.

Orig 6, Close to T.O. so can be around friends + family. Brand new arena (Islanders still don't even have an arena), There's definitely some attractions. If he were looking to win right away, though, he would probably look elsewhere

As much as i would love to add John Tavares, I just don't see it happening. Holland would need to wheel and deal to shed enough salary to afford him. And that's not Holland's style Tavares will at least get 7 years $77 million on the open market and we will need probably around $8 million to $9 million to resign both Larkin and Mantha and who knows if we will resign Mrazek would need to move Howard to do it. It would be close to Toronto so family and friends near by plus with the opening of Little Caesars Arena he could possibly think about it.

24 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

It definitely could be done. I just think that would be way too much wheeling and dealing for Ken Holland. Who knows what will happen there though...

Holland is hesitant to makes trades, thats for sure. But when it comes to BIG name UFA's, he always goes for it. Holland is the kind of GM who only trades if he has to, this is a situation that I think would motivate him.

For example, trading a guy like Glendening just to clear cap space, Holland wont do. Trading a guy like Glendening because he just signed JT, that I think he would do in a heartbeat. (just using Luke as an example, Helm, Abby, E whomever could be used in my example).

9 minutes ago, kliq said:

Holland is hesitant to makes trades, thats for sure. But when it comes to BIG name UFA's, he always goes for it. Holland is the kind of GM who only trades if he has to, this is a situation that I think would motivate him.

For example, trading a guy like Glendening just to clear cap space, Holland wont do. Trading a guy like Glendening because he just signed JT, that I think he would do in a heartbeat. (just using Luke as an example, Helm, Abby, E whomever could be used in my example).

I hope you're right. But I think you have a little more confidence in Holland's ability to manage this team going forward than myself...

4 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

There is no way Holland doesn’t go all out on signing him no matter what. Whether JT has any interest is a different story

Totally agree Holland will find a way to open up enough space to sign JT, But does JT want to play in Detroit.

30 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

This does seem like a long shot, but who knows...

Was he close with Nielsen? That also could help us out, if that were true.

Orig 6, Close to T.O. so can be around friends + family. Brand new arena (Islanders still don't even have an arena), There's definitely some attractions. If he were looking to win right away, though, he would probably look elsewhere

I guess it all depends on the development of our players. Throw in JT and our forwards look ALOT better especially if our kids get better. Then Z drops down to second line and we have a very good top 6.