• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Pierre McGuire on Wings-Tavares

Rate this topic

On 9/21/2017 at 8:33 PM, ShanahanMan said:

Would never happen. Holland only signs guys in the twilight of their career and Tavares would never want to come to such a mismanaged team (even more than the Isles).

Well Holland was after Suter and Stamkos in their primes when they became available.  He managed to sign Hossa in his prime.  So he has gone after big names in free agency.  As for mismanaged, the Wings missed the playoffs for the first time in 26 years last season.  The Isles haven't been past the 2nd round of the playoffs for 24 years and have been a joke of a franchise for decades.  Not saying Tavares is interested in the Wings, but we're not worse than the Isles in any way.

9 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Well Holland was after Suter and Stamkos in their primes when they became available.  He managed to sign Hossa in his prime.  So he has gone after big names in free agency.  As for mismanaged, the Wings missed the playoffs for the first time in 26 years last season.  The Isles haven't been past the 2nd round of the playoffs for 24 years and have been a joke of a franchise for decades.  Not saying Tavares is interested in the Wings, but we're not worse than the Isles in any way.

long story short JT wants a cup, neither team (Wings and Isles) can offer him that. 

39 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

I apologize that was really stupid on my part, requesting a source but not having one by myself.

So here's the source: https://elitesportsny.com/2017/06/03/no-shocker-new-york-islanders-weight-says-john-tavares-wants-win-cups/

Thanks. I trust Doug Weight, and naturally as a great hockey players Tavares probably wants to win a few cups.

I also trust Tavares though, and he's said explicitly multiple times it's important to him to be loyal to the team that drafted him and he loves playing for NYI. Stamkos, as far as I know, never even said those kind of things and look where he ended up. This will be hyped to the max until he re-signs with the Isles, but I think it's all just that. Hype. He'll probably be an Islander for life. 

Honestly, the Wings may not be that far away from another Cup. Larkin and Mantha look ready to dominate this team. Within 2 years the contracts of E, Kronner and possibly Z will be gone. Next year one if Howard or Mrazek will be gone. Greens cap will be gone. Add to that AA and as mentioned, the growth of Larkin and Mantha, along with the possibility of a generational player next draft. If we add Tavares for 7 years and possibly a top 2 defender this year or next, they could be right there within those 7 years of Tavares' contract and beyond. 

11 hours ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Hossa called Holland Hossa took less money on a bridge deal basically and left millions on the table hoping Ken would find a way to get him a long term deal and Holland bungled it. The Hossa situation and all the side situations around it was Holland at his worst. That was when he did permanent damage to this team.

Edited by gcom007

20 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Honestly, the Wings may not be that far away from another Cup. Larkin and Mantha look ready to dominate this team. Within 2 years the contracts of E, Kronner and possibly Z will be gone. Next year one if Howard or Mrazek will be gone. Greens cap will be gone. Add to that AA and as mentioned, the growth of Larkin and Mantha, along with the possibility of a generational player next draft. If we add Tavares for 7 years and possibly a top 2 defender this year or next, they could be right there within those 7 years of Tavares' contract and beyond. 

I like where your head's at.

Granted, it's a lot of "if"s. A whole lot would have to go right. The stars would have to align. But I will say this: Holland has been quietly building up a small army of very promising young players, all while missing the playoffs a grand total of once. Larkin, Mantha, Athanasiou, Svechnikov, Rasmussen, Cholowski, Hicketts, Hronek, Saarijarvi, Petruzzelli...while we might not get a single true franchise cornerstone player out of what we currently have in the pipeline and on the roster (though, it does kinda feels like we're on the verge of something special with Mantha, doesn't it?), we should have an abundance of really good young players at some point in the near future. We're not getting back into serious Cup contention without elite talent, but elite players can only do so much on their own. Depth wins Cups; you need elite talent and you need lots of good non-elite players.

My point being: when we eventually find a franchise cornerstone player or two, we should already have a pretty solid supporting cast for him/them. Even if we don't get Tavares or Dahlin, if we keep plugging along and doing what we're doing (drafting and developing solid-if-unspectacular talent), we might be able to bypass the long, painful rebuild. I like the idea that we'll simply need to get lucky once or twice in one or two of the next three entry drafts. I like the idea that we're going to have the supporting cast and all we'll need is that/those one/two special player(s). If we're going to be as bad as many people think we are for the next few years, then it's probably only a matter of time before we get that elite talent from the draft. Could be as early as next summer. Maybe we do get Dahlin. Svechnikov or Veleno would be an outstanding consolation prize.

Hope! It springs eternal!

(inb4 "Hope is not a strategy")

Edited by Dabura

In order to sign AA, we must trade Sheahan, and hopefully that is coming this week.  Kronner must retire after this season if not sooner and after this season Ericsson should be bought out (if he cannot be traded.)  It'll only be $1.4M cap for 4 years. I prefer to trade him, but we could use that roster spot and the cap relief. The 4 years of salary to him irks me though, I guess if we can lose Kronner's cap and get Larkin and Mantha re-signed to around $2.3Mish (like I hope AA signs for) on a nice 2 year bridge each, we can just use E as a 7th D or heck even send him to GR for a bit of relief.

This is what I do this season and off season:

Trade Sheahan to PIT for a pick (3rd?) Sign AA for 2 years $2.3M

at deadline, Trade Green for a pick (may get us a 1st or 2nd) Trade Mrazek or Jimmy for a pick (2nd or 3rd?)

Hopefully get a top 3 pick (prefer #1 of course) and draft one of Dahlin, Svech or Tkachuk. (unless another player emerges as a top 5 guy.)

re-sign Mantha and Larkin to 2 year $2.3M contracts, offer Tavares 7 yrs. $10M.  re-sign Coreau to a modest deal and backup Mrazek (must be re-signed, but no more than $6M) or Jimmy.

To fill out the roster next season I promote Hicketts, Svech, Smith and Cholowski.

That gives me: (of course lines can change)

Tatar - Tavares - AA

Z - Larkin - Mantha

Smith - Nielsen - Nyquist

Abby - Glenny - Helm

(Svech and Witkowski)

Cholowski - Jensen

Dekeyser - Daley

XO - Hicketts

E

Mrazek (or Howard)

Coreau

...not yet a Cup team by next season, but in 2 years if Z retires and we can get Dahlin drafted(this off season,) we could possibly attract another piece via UFA to make the team that much better.  We also have that little thing called LCA working for us. State of the art training facility and building to play in goes a long way. If we can get lottery picks this year and next, I think by time Tavares has been here 2-3 years of his contract, we'll be contending. By time he gets to his 7th season, I am predicting we would have won a Cup.

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

In order to sign AA, we must trade Sheahan, and hopefully that is coming this week.  Kronner must retire after this season if not sooner and after this season Ericsson should be bought out (if he cannot be traded.)  It'll only be $1.4M cap for 4 years. I prefer to trade him, but we could use that roster spot and the cap relief. The 4 years of salary to him irks me though, I guess if we can lose Kronner's cap and get Larkin and Mantha re-signed to around $2.3Mish (like I hope AA signs for) on a nice 2 year bridge each, we can just use E as a 7th D or heck even send him to GR for a bit of relief.

This is what I do this season and off season:

Trade Sheahan to PIT for a pick (3rd?) Sign AA for 2 years $2.3M

at deadline, Trade Green for a pick (may get us a 1st or 2nd) Trade Mrazek or Jimmy for a pick (2nd or 3rd?)

Hopefully get a top 3 pick (prefer #1 of course) and draft one of Dahlin, Svech or Tkachuk. (unless another player emerges as a top 5 guy.)

re-sign Mantha and Larkin to 2 year $2.3M contracts, offer Tavares 7 yrs. $10M.  re-sign Coreau to a modest deal and backup Mrazek (must be re-signed, but no more than $6M) or Jimmy.

To fill out the roster next season I promote Hicketts, Svech, Smith and Cholowski.

That gives me: (of course lines can change)

Tatar - Tavares - AA

Z - Larkin - Mantha

Smith - Nielsen - Nyquist

Abby - Glenny - Helm

(Svech and Witkowski)

Cholowski - Jensen

Dekeyser - Daley

XO - Hicketts

E

Mrazek (or Howard)

Coreau

...not yet a Cup team by next season, but in 2 years if Z retires and we can get Dahlin drafted(this off season,) we could possibly attract another piece via UFA to make the team that much better.  We also have that little thing called LCA working for us. State of the art training facility and building to play in goes a long way. If we can get lottery picks this year and next, I think by time Tavares has been here 2-3 years of his contract, we'll be contending. By time he gets to his 7th season, I am predicting we would have won a Cup.

Playing EA NHL 17 sure is fun..

I am saying we are lucky if even half of that happens, I mean really lucky.

Larkin alone making only 2.3m a year is a pipe dream. No way Larkin signs for the same deal as AA. He's gonna want more and I hope his play on the ice deserves it. Even more so if we are hoping he'll be a top 6 center ever. In the same realm of what I say about Larkin can and hopefully holds true to Mantha,

I don't know the math, but the chances of us being a top 3 pick in next year draft is what? Around 20% If I had to guess, if we finish dead last. Someone smarter than me may know the right answer to this, regardless it's pretty low. Look at what happen last year. Again lucky.

As for trading Green, Sheahan, Mazerk or Howard.. for 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks sure I guess that could happen.

Cholowski, Smith, Hicketts have yet to prove they will even play in the NHL. Cholowski has proven nothing to me that he'll be a top 2 Dman in two years or even 4 years for now. 

J.T to me feels like Stamkos all over again. 

I think your future vision of this team is very fantasy or video game like. It's fun and all, but I doubt it. But I hope you are right and I am wrong. I wish I had that kind of faith in the Red Wings, but I don't. Honestly I thought you where just messing around just making a hopeful post, but you've appeared to be taken by my sarcastic remark. 

Edited by xault

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Eat my ass John

I wish we could get that out of Danny Dekeyser every game!!   It's hinted at but, did DD have a particularly bad game prior to this OT show?   

5 hours ago, e_prime said:

I wish we could get that out of Danny Dekeyser every game!!   It's hinted at but, did DD have a particularly bad game prior to this OT show?   

If memory serves, he goofed badly on a late goal against. I think that goal tied the game and made OT necessary.

On 9/27/2017 at 12:06 AM, Dabura said:

Maybe we do get Dahlin. Svechnikov or Veleno would be an outstanding consolation prize.

Your wish is granted. Dahlin er...Veleno is ours!

...and we're holding Svech's brother ransom until he agrees to ditch those nasty Canes and come play at the pizza arena.

#swedishmafiarulz

Edited by solarion

12 hours ago, Dabura said:

If memory serves, he goofed badly on a late goal against. I think that goal tied the game and made OT necessary.

Guess that isn't surprising.  Sounds like we might have given up the lead more than once in this game too. Admittedly I did not watch a lot of games the last couple years with having a toddler.

I gotta get on the GDTs this year -- keeps me more in the loop.

Edited by e_prime

2 hours ago, e_prime said:

Guess that isn't surprising.  Sounds like we might have given up the lead more than once in this game too. Admittedly I did not watch a lot of games the last couple years with having a toddler.

Hockey > Family

Get your heckin' priorities straight!

3 hours ago, e_prime said:

Wot n tarnation?

Sending you my free-time and energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

29 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Hockey > Family

Get your heckin' priorities straight!

15 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Wot n tarnation?

Sending you my free-time and energy ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

I don't think this will be a problem this year...

ellis_july18.jpg.89abfb03c2144c75406b41f287db0503.jpgWe still have to work on beer retrieval for watching games... but he wants to watch.  ...and play?