• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
toby91_ca

Worst Contracts by Team

Rate this topic

Stumbled on this today:

Link to Article

Picks for Wings was Abby, which makes sense, but they also list several worthy candidates (all of which we've been skewering Holland for lately).

Others from across the league that jumped out at me:

- Bolland - 5 years left at $5.5M per season.  What?  I must have forgot about this deal, but why was he ever signed to this much?  It's not like others that have simply declined and are no longer worth the money, this is a case where he was never close to worth this much and there is still 5 years go.

- Parise - 8 years left at $7.538M per season.  This is my pick for the worst contract.  He's a good player, but it's the length and the cap hit that make this awful.  He's 33, not definitely not worth the money now and there's 8 years to go where he's not going to get any better.

- Bonino - 4 years at $4.1M.  I must have missed this during the summer.  He's obviously cashed in on winning 2 cups in a row, playing some important minutes, but $4.1M doesn't make sense.

- Andrew MacDonald - 4 years at $5M.  Huh?

- Phaneuf - 4 years at $7M.  This is nothing knew (especially living in Toronto, I used to hear about his contract all the time).  There was a time he was expected to be a huge deal (there was talk of Crosby and Ovechkin was they broke in, but there was a lot of talk about Phaneuf as the #3 and not far behind back then....with evidence as well....times have changed).

Lucic is pretty useful though....big body, puts up 20+ goals, 50+ points.  Can be a bonehead at times and while I don't think he's worth the $6M, I don't think it's terrible.  While cap situation didn't come into play on any of these, Edm doesn't currently have cap concerns.

2 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

Stumbled on this today:

Link to Article

Picks for Wings was Abby, which makes sense, but they also list several worthy candidates (all of which we've been skewering Holland for lately).

Others from across the league that jumped out at me:

- Bolland - 5 years left at $5.5M per season.  What?  I must have forgot about this deal, but why was he ever signed to this much?  It's not like others that have simply declined and are no longer worth the money, this is a case where he was never close to worth this much and there is still 5 years go.

- Parise - 8 years left at $7.538M per season.  This is my pick for the worst contract.  He's a good player, but it's the length and the cap hit that make this awful.  He's 33, not definitely not worth the money now and there's 8 years to go where he's not going to get any better.

- Bonino - 4 years at $4.1M.  I must have missed this during the summer.  He's obviously cashed in on winning 2 cups in a row, playing some important minutes, but $4.1M doesn't make sense.

- Andrew MacDonald - 4 years at $5M.  Huh?

- Phaneuf - 4 years at $7M.  This is nothing knew (especially living in Toronto, I used to hear about his contract all the time).  There was a time he was expected to be a huge deal (there was talk of Crosby and Ovechkin was they broke in, but there was a lot of talk about Phaneuf as the #3 and not far behind back then....with evidence as well....times have changed).

A lot of these are the results of giving a player a deal based on one good year or a big playoff run.  Most of the others were good, or at least ok, deals but injuries slowed the player down.  Parise got his deal to get Suter, and I said it was a mistake I'm glad Holland didn't make a the time.

14 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

What's Ville Leino up to these days?  

Just looked it up, he's playing for a team called the Lakers.  

Yeah, he's not an option, but the contract he signed with Buffalo is up there with the worst in history.

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Pretty sure DiPietro's contract is still on the books. Between that and the Yashin buyout Garth Snow is probably the dumbest dingus in the league.

He's still getting paid $1.5M for another 12 years, but I don't there is anything that hits the cap.

3 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

A lot of these are the results of giving a player a deal based on one good year or a big playoff run.  Most of the others were good, or at least ok, deals but injuries slowed the player down.  Parise got his deal to get Suter, and I said it was a mistake I'm glad Holland didn't make a the time.

Those contracts are ridiculous, I'm pretty sure they are on the book for another decade.

7 hours ago, kliq said:

Those contracts are ridiculous, I'm pretty sure they are on the book for another decade.

Suter, you have to do deals like that if you want a guy of his caliber in free agency.  You take as many good years as you can when he's worth it and hope the ones at the end don't bite you in the ass too hard.  Parise was just a good winger and didn't deserve nearly that much from day 1.

13 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Suter, you have to do deals like that if you want a guy of his caliber in free agency.  You take as many good years as you can when he's worth it and hope the ones at the end don't bite you in the ass too hard.  Parise was just a good winger and didn't deserve nearly that much from day 1.

I don't disagree with the Suter part, the problem was he came with Parise. Two players at 13 years each with a cap hit of 7.5 each will really hurt them in a few years especially if those two regress.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

I don't disagree with the Suter part, the problem was he came with Parise. Two players at 13 years each with a cap hit of 7.5 each will really hurt them in a few years especially if those two regress.

Its one thing when u get a crosby or a kane on that type of deal. Its another when you sign 2 low end supertars to it. They committed that franchise to the Parise/Suter show for the next decade. Unfortunately that show is probably always gonna be slighly behind the Crosby/Malkin, Toews/Kane, Kopitar/Doughty, etc etc shows

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Its one thing when u get a crosby or a kane on that type of deal. Its another when you sign 2 low end supertars to it. They committed that franchise to the Parise/Suter show for the next decade. Unfortunately that show is probably always gonna be slighly behind the Crosby/Malkin, Toews/Kane, Kopitar/Doughty, etc etc shows

What got me is their owner signed them to those deals then immediately started complaining about having to sign them top those deals and that's why they needed a CBA that helped the owners more

Snow didn't want to be outdone by Milbury so he HAD to buyout Yashin after signing DP to AN EVEN BIGGER DEAL.  lol.

2029 is the end date for that DiPietro contract payoff.

Edited by e_prime

On 25. 9. 2017 at 6:05 PM, toby91_ca said:

Lucic is pretty useful though....big body, puts up 20+ goals, 50+ points.  Can be a bonehead at times and while I don't think he's worth the $6M, I don't think it's terrible.  While cap situation didn't come into play on any of these, Edm doesn't currently have cap concerns.

It´s not terrible now, but could turn to be real terrible for them quickly. Power-forward roles are declining quicklier than others, his contract could easily turn to unmovable disaster. Edmonton has no cap concerns at the moment, but will have once they will realize that they won´t achieve with such a defense. I believe his contract is already worst than Russell. Their hope is he´s going to be 50-points guy for another 4 year at least and won´t be next Oilers version of Dustin Brown. 

7 hours ago, Juklitz said:

It´s not terrible now, but could turn to be real terrible for them quickly. Power-forward roles are declining quicklier than others, his contract could easily turn to unmovable disaster. Edmonton has no cap concerns at the moment, but will have once they will realize that they won´t achieve with such a defense. I believe his contract is already worst than Russell. Their hope is he´s going to be 50-points guy for another 4 year at least and won´t be next Oilers version of Dustin Brown. 

Almost like thinking Abdelkader was going to be a 20 goal 40 point player for 7 more years

I would have to go with Adbelkader. Actually I would say Ericcson.....No maybe Helm is worse.......Forgot about Franzen......Didn't mention DeKeyser, he is actually the worse........Wait a minute, I forgot to mention Nielson......Wait.........