• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

The 13th F......

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We need multiple plugs? Good to know. News to me.

They don't need to be plugs, but yes, typically teams have 3 players (2 forwards, 1 defenseman) healthy scratched every game, assuming they're filling out the 23-man roster limit.

2 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

They don't need to be plugs, but yes, typically teams have 3 players (2 forwards, 1 defenseman) healthy scratched every game, assuming they're filling out the 23-man roster limit.

So you have Witkowski and Booth on the roster just in case of emergency, and you call up Frk/Svech every chance you get?

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So you have Witkowski and Booth on the roster just in case of emergency, and you call up Frk/Svech every chance you get?

Yeah, 13th/14th forward. Frk would be on my opening day roster, and Svechnikov would be first call up for an injury in the top 9. 

I didnt make it clear, but it was KK and PW on the radio broadcast that said we are going 13 F's and 8 Dmen. The D is set: DD, Daley, Ericsson, Kronwall, Oullett, Sproul, Jensen, and Green. Baring injury that is the BL core.

The F's are were we have a couple of questions. But as of today: Z, Larkin, Mantha, Abby, Neilsson, tatar, Nyquist, Helm, Glendening, Witkowski, and Sheahan. They will be on the roster if healthy. Bert is hurt 3-4 more weeks IIRC. AA is not yet signed. That means we have 11 ready to go with 2 open spots. That is were the question comes. Go with vets? PAP and/or Booth until more youth is ready? Keep young talents that may not be ready: Frk, Svechnikov, or Rasmussen?

Now Frk has to clear waivers to go down. Ras can play a few games and still go back to Junior. Svechnikov needs a little more time in the minors-would like to see him up for the second half of the season.

We do need 1 more body to have 12 F's dressed. 1 can sit in the box. Let a vet sit in the box.

6 hours ago, Richdg said:

I didnt make it clear, but it was KK and PW on the radio broadcast that said we are going 13 F's and 8 Dmen. The D is set: DD, Daley, Ericsson, Kronwall, Oullett, Sproul, Jensen, and Green. Baring injury that is the BL core.

The F's are were we have a couple of questions. But as of today: Z, Larkin, Mantha, Abby, Neilsson, tatar, Nyquist, Helm, Glendening, Witkowski, and Sheahan. They will be on the roster if healthy. Bert is hurt 3-4 more weeks IIRC. AA is not yet signed. That means we have 11 ready to go with 2 open spots. That is were the question comes. Go with vets? PAP and/or Booth until more youth is ready? Keep young talents that may not be ready: Frk, Svechnikov, or Rasmussen?

Now Frk has to clear waivers to go down. Ras can play a few games and still go back to Junior. Svechnikov needs a little more time in the minors-would like to see him up for the second half of the season.

We do need 1 more body to have 12 F's dressed. 1 can sit in the box. Let a vet sit in the box.

You missed the gist of the situation. With the D and F you list, plus Mrazek and Howard, we only have ~$930K in cap space. Not enough space for 2 more F. So there are 3 possible options (not counting injuries):

1. We go with only 12 F for the time being (probably Frk for #12, while Bert is out)

2. We make some kind of move to create additional space (too many options to give any meaningful answer)

3. There is some aspect of cap accounting which we and the cap sites are unaware of, and everything I said above is wrong (Frk for #12, and no one cares about #13 unless it's AA finally signing)

On 9/26/2017 at 1:45 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Where'd you read this?

So Sproul is ready for full-time NHL duties then and Daley is holding him back? Is that what I'm not understanding?

Kahn, several times, and I never mentioned Sproul.  I don't think he's ever going to be more than a 6/7 guy

On 9/26/2017 at 1:58 PM, krsmith17 said:

Frk is nothing like Pulkkinen other than their shot...

Relatively small, poor defensively, has a shot and not much else, waived multiple times, never going to be an NHL regular.  Applies to both of them.

28 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Kahn, several times, and I never mentioned Sproul.  I don't think he's ever going to be more than a 6/7 guy

Relatively small, poor defensively, has a shot and not much else, waived multiple times, never going to be an NHL regular.  Applies to both of them.

Doesn't Khan just copy/paste Red Wings news into his blog?

KrSmith doesn't like the Daley signing because now Sproul doesn't have a roster spot and can't go to GR without being waived. Personally I agree with you. Sproul is a forgettable player, as is Frk.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

Yup, 6'1", 205lbs. is pretty small for a forward... :rolleyes:

Frk plays physically, Pulkkinen doesn't. Frk is very good along the boards and in the corners, Pulkkinen is not. Frk has a tireless work ethic, have never heard the same about Pulkkinen. Maybe Frk doesn't ever amount to much of an NHL player, but to say that he's at all similar to Pulkkinen in style of play is just wrong. It's like me saying Frk is like Kucherov because they both have a great shot...

12 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Doesn't Khan just copy/paste Red Wings news into his blog?

KrSmith doesn't like the Daley signing because now Sproul doesn't have a roster spot and can't go to GR without being waived. Personally I agree with you. Sproul is a forgettable player, as is Frk.

Kahn is a mouthpiece for Kenny to a point, although not as bad as St. Lame, but Malik is Captain Cut-n-Paste

12 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yup, 6'1", 205lbs. is pretty small for a forward... :rolleyes:

Frk plays physically, Pulkkinen doesn't. Frk is very good along the boards and in the corners, Pulkkinen is not. Frk has a tireless work ethic, have never heard the same about Pulkkinen. Maybe Frk doesn't ever amount to much of an NHL player, but to say that he's at all similar to Pulkkinen in style of play is just wrong. It's like me saying Frk is like Kucherov because they both have a great shot...

Where did you see him listed that big, most places I've seen have him 6' 200 lbs or smaller.  That's not all that big.  And I haven't seen much of a physical game from him.  Maybe compared to Pulk, or against smaller AHL players.  He's been waived twice, he's not a good skater, not good defensively, and has one weapon, which can be neutralized easily by bigger, faster, smart NHL players.  20 or 30 years ago when it was possible for a guy to go down the wing and blast a slapper past the goalie, sure, he might be a decent NHL player, but those days are gone.  

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Where did you see him listed that big, most places I've seen have him 6' 200 lbs or smaller.  That's not all that big.  And I haven't seen much of a physical game from him.  Maybe compared to Pulk, or against smaller AHL players.  He's been waived twice, he's not a good skater, not good defensively, and has one weapon, which can be neutralized easily by bigger, faster, smart NHL players.  20 or 30 years ago when it was possible for a guy to go down the wing and blast a slapper past the goalie, sure, he might be a decent NHL player, but those days are gone.  

NHL.com. You really think there's a significant difference in one inch or 5lbs though? That is plenty big for a winger, well above average. So to call him "relatively small" is way off base. He's not going to lay punishing hits or anything, but he's plenty feisty. His skating has improved. He's never going to be a great skater, but more than capable of keeping pace. I've never liked the "bad defensively" argument for wingers. As long as you're not a train wreck in your own zone (Frk isn't), that's fine for a winger in my opinion. Also, Blashill said he can provide "back check pressure" when speaking of what he can bring to the team, so he must be at least somewhat impressed by his defensive ability. He may struggle to get his shot off, who knows, but I'd like to see him given a shot before we assume he's going to suck...

18 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

NHL.com. You really think there's a significant difference in one inch or 5lbs though? That is plenty big for a winger, well above average. So to call him "relatively small" is way off base. He's not going to lay punishing hits or anything, but he's plenty feisty. His skating has improved. He's never going to be a great skater, but more than capable of keeping pace. I've never liked the "bad defensively" argument for wingers. As long as you're not a train wreck in your own zone (Frk isn't), that's fine for a winger in my opinion. Also, Blashill said he can provide "back check pressure" when speaking of what he can bring to the team, so he must be at least somewhat impressed by his defensive ability. He may struggle to get his shot off, who knows, but I'd like to see him given a shot before we assume he's going to suck...

Average NHL forward is 6'1" 202 lbs.  So he's close to average.  Still not big.  

How many players get waived twice and have played 2 NHL games by his age and make it?  Is it out of the question?  Not really, but pretty damn unlikely.  

And if you're listening to coachspeak and think that means something, you haven't been paying attention to pro sports and what coaches say.  If someone asks a question about a player, coach rarely trashes said player.

Edited by DickieDunn

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Average NHL forward is 6'1" 202 lbs.  So he's close to average.  Still not big.  

How many players get waived twice and have played 2 NHL games by his age and make it?  Is it out of the question?  Not really, but pretty damn unlikely.  

And if you're listening to coachspeak and think that means something, you haven't been paying attention to pro sports and what coaches say.  If someone asks a question about a player, coach rarely trashes said player.

Not big is very different from relatively small. Point is, he's plenty big for a winger.

I agree that the likelihood of him making it, isn't great, I never said it was. You're acting as if I'm saying he's going to be a 50 point player. I'm not at all. I think he could be a capable 3rd line winger, that puts up 20-25 points, the majority coming on the man advantage. I do think he could net 10 goals on the power-play if utilized properly. We'll see...

It's not like I'm just reading a quote from Blashill, I listen to the interviews and you can tell he's been very impressed with Frk. He goes out of his way to say good things about him. Frk has played very well in these preseason games. Will that translate to the regular season? We'll find out soon enough.

Frk will get on the roster and given some games until lil Bert is back healthy, then it'll be interesting. 

My question is the so called set in stone 8D, Sproul only got a little over 11 mins toi last night which wasn't really a great showcasing effort on Blashills part and both Sulak and Hronek played well. Maybe Sproul is going again tonight and was used sparingly because of of it or he picked up a knock I don't know but I do know that there are others knocking on the door for D spots.

2 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Can the Wings sign Booth to a 2 way contract and then send him to GR without clearing waivers when Bertuzzi is healthy or do 2 ways only affect the cap differently?

I believe a 2 way deal means that he does have to pass through waivers, but if he gets through 100% of his cap hit goes through as well and his pay may change. I could be wrong though. I think you are only waiver exempt when you have under X amount of games played which would not apply to him.

3 hours ago, kliq said:

I believe a 2 way deal means that he does have to pass through waivers, but if he gets through 100% of his cap hit goes through as well and his pay may change. I could be wrong though. I think you are only waiver exempt when you have under X amount of games played which would not apply to him.

This is correct. Regardless, if we did sign Booth and eventually waive him, I don't think the Red Wings or Booth would necessarily want him to clear waivers. There's more than enough veteran leadership in Grand Rapids, and it would be great for Booth if another team picks him up. I think Booth will be signed. He's earned it with his play in these pre-season games.

Biggest difference between a one-way and a two-way contract, if I recall correctly, is that on a one-way, the player makes his full NHL salary even if sent down, while for a two-way contract the player makes a lower salary if he is in the AHL.

IMO the best thing that could happen is for Frk to get some time because of the AA situation and the Bertuzzi injury. If he can rack up a reasonably impressive number of goals, particularly because of the officiating changes this season, then we can flip him for a pick at the deadline. 

This season is tailor made for his success and we shouldn't squander that.  Best case scenario Frk becomes a valuable asset for relatively little cost.