• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Opening night roster v Wild.

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Yeah, I think we all knew Sproul was going to be waived. I don't think he'll get picked up since he didn't pass his physical for camp and been reading that him coming back from the knee surgery could take a while. 

In other news, Tootoo, Jurco, and Pulkinnen were waived. That's also not incredibly surprising, but the one aspect to this that's funny is that the Blackhawks protected Jurco in the expansion draft. Wonder if there's a way they could have protected TVR (who they lost) instead of Jurco. Probably not since you can't replace a F with a D in the 7/3/1 protected list format.

So the Blackhawks traded a 3rd round pick to us for Jurco, protected him in the expansion draft, then waived him?

I guess the expansion draft part makes some sense, as they essentially gave up TVR so LV would take Kruger, but considering LV then traded Kruger, Chicago clearly misread the market.

Not a good look on Bowman.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Well, both Sproul and Booth were placed on waivers today.

Booth doesn't really bother me at all, dont like Sproul getting waived. Maybe the kid is a bust and they figure why not just cut their losses, but I'm not sold on that and I don't think the kid got a fair shot.

Why Sproul got waived according to Khan:

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2017/10/red_wings_waive_ryan_sproul_ni.html

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings placed defenseman Ryan Sproul in waivers Monday, after he was cleared medically, following off-season ACL surgery.

If Sproul clears at noon Tuesday he can be assigned to the AHL Grand Rapids Griffins.

Sproul appeared in 27 games for Detroit last season (one goal, six assists, minus-7). He couldn't secure a regular spot in the lineup due to a lack of assertiveness, according to coach Jeff Blashill, and defensive issues. The team liked his size (6-4, 205), big right-handed shot and offensive potential.

6 hours ago, kliq said:

Booth doesn't really bother me at all, dont like Sproul getting waived. Maybe the kid is a bust and they figure why not just cut their losses, but I'm not sold on that and I don't think the kid got a fair shot.

Imagine. A young player not getting a fair shot on this team? Because of defensive issues?...

This organization would have found a way to stifle the offense of a young Erik Karlsson...

Ok, now that we know AA's market value (with Anderson signing in CBJ) here's is what the opening night roster should be:

Tatar - Z - Nyquist

Mantha - Larkin - Frk

AA - Nielsen - Booth

Abby - Glen - Helm

DD - Daley

XO - Green

Ericsson (bleh) - Jensen

Howard

If Kronwall is ready, I am sure he will be in place of XO.

Speaking of cap, isn't today the day all teams must become cap compliant? If so, we have to clear about $500,000 in cap. We are sitting at $4.4M over and Franzen is only $3.9M...and that's BEFORE signing AA,

Edited by LeftWinger

25 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Ok, now that we know AA's market value (with Anderson signing in CBJ) here's is what the opening night roster should be:

Tatar - Z - Nyquist

Mantha - Larkin - Frk

AA - Nielsen - Booth

Abby - Glen - Helm

DD - Daley

XO - Green

Ericsson (bleh) - Jensen

Howard

If Kronwall is ready, I am sure he will be in place of XO.

Speaking of cap, isn't today the day all teams must become cap compliant? If so, we have to clear about $500,000 in cap. We are sitting at $4.4M over and Franzen is only $3.9M...and that's BEFORE signing AA,

I agree with your lines, except I'd swap one of Abdelkader or Helm with Booth. I don't like DeKeyser on the top pair, but we know that's where he'll end up.

Yes, the deadline is today at 5pm EST. With Sproul being waived yesterday, and once Franzen is placed on LTIR, we should have just under $200K in cap space. Bertuzzi is on IR, and once he's activated, either he ($661,667) or Booth ($700,000) or Witkowski ($750,000) (hopefully the latter...) will be sent down to Grand Rapids (unless there are other injuries before then)...

Like you said though, another move will have to be made to get Athanasiou signed. Hopefully there's something in the works as we speak...

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Tatar - Z - Nyquist

Mantha - Larkin - Frk

AA - Nielsen - Booth

Abby - Glen - Helm

DD - Daley

XO - Green

Ericsson (bleh) - Jensen

Howard

That's a nice looking group of forwards.  Lots of speed and two way ability. Now if we could just get the defense looking that good.

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Imagine. A young player not getting a fair shot on this team? Because of defensive issues?...

This organization would have found a way to stifle the offense of a young Erik Karlsson...

Please. Sproul isn't even Carl Carlson.

12 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Please. Sproul isn't even Carl Carlson.

Please. I was in no way comparing the two. At this point, it's unlikely that Sproul becomes a top 4 defenseman, let alone an elite number 1...

The Karlsson comment was obvious hyperbole (maybe not so obvious to some...), but I do believe this organization does stifle offensive production in order to improve defensive play. I do think Karlsson would have been a good player with any organization, but I don't believe he would have been nearly a point per game, 2-time Norris winning defenseman with this organization. You probably disagree though...

14 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Please. I was in no way comparing the two. At this point, it's unlikely that Sproul becomes a top 4 defenseman, let alone an elite number 1...

The Karlsson comment was obvious hyperbole (maybe not so obvious to some...), but I do believe this organization does stifle offensive production in order to improve defensive play. I do think Karlsson would have been a good player with any organization, but I don't believe he would have been nearly a point per game, 2-time Norris winning defenseman with this organization. You probably disagree though...

He'd have less points and more Norris trophies.

Sproul, Jurco, and Booth suck and should pack their respective s***

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Well Sproul cleared waivers... I'm shocked but happy he went unclaimed.

Ya same here. On one hand it's a good thing, on the other it makes me wonder that if not a single GM thought he was worth it for essentially free, are they seeing something in him that a lot of us posters are missing in terms of him being a bust already. 

Or, maybe the injury is scaring teams off.

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I disagree because there is no foundation for that opinion at all. 

The myth of stifling offense for the sake of defense is a complete fan fabrication. The Wings have typically been one of the better offensive teams in the league over the last 30 years, only really declining as our talent level eroded (including coaching talent). Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Mantha, AA, and Vanek didn't have any problems problem producing, nor have any been asked for anything more than basic defensive effort. 

You just can't accept the possibility that you might have been wrong about Smith and Jurco (and now likely Sproul), so you have to believe the Wings ruined them. 

Edited by Buppy

12 minutes ago, kliq said:

Ya same here. On one hand it's a good thing, on the other it makes me wonder that if not a single GM thought he was worth it for essentially free, are they seeing something in him that a lot of us posters are missing in terms of him being a bust already. 

Or, maybe the injury is scaring teams off.

I doubt it’s the injury, he was medically cleared, he’s young and otherwise healthy. 

30 pro GMs didn’t take him for free. That speaks volumes about the difference in how the pros think and how forum posters think. 

12 minutes ago, greenrebellion said:

Sproul clearing waivers is just further evidence that us Wings fans tend to overvalue our prospects.

Agreed. 

Edited by kickazz

28 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I disagree because there is no foundation for that opinion at all. 

The myth of stifling offense for the sake of defense is a complete fan fabrication. The Wings have typically been one of the better offensive teams in the league over the last 30 years, only really declining as out talent level eroded (including coaching talent). Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Mantha, AA, and Vanek didn't have any problems problem producing, nor have any been asked for anything more than basic defensive effort. 

You just can't accept the possibility that you might have been wrong about Smith and Jurco (and now likely Sproul), so you have to believe the Wings ruined them. 

I'm not the only one that believes certain players may have been mismanaged over the past few years. But because you don't believe in that sort of thing, we're wrong? Yeah, okay bud...

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Well Sproul cleared waivers... I'm shocked but happy he went unclaimed.

Why are you shocked? He's not very good. And don't tell me he didn't get a chance. He played 30 games, doesn't play good in his own end, doesn't use his size, rarely showed any offensive skill etc... Is this a case of you overvaluing him because he's in our organization?. If the other 30 teams don't want him there is a pretty good reason for that. Maybe he can keep developing in GR and prove me and everyone else wrong but right now he's totally expendable. 

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not the only one that believes certain players may have been mismanaged over the past few years. But because you don't believe in that sort of thing, we're wrong? Yeah, okay bud...

You can't just say they are mismanaged because they aren't very good. Sproul, Jurco etc.. are not NHL material. How big of a sample size do you want? Sproul played almost 30 games. That was plenty for most people to see he's not very good, or at least not worth trying to fit him into the lineup.  At this point he's probably 10th or 11th on the D depth chart. Won't even get a sniff at the NHL 

9 minutes ago, puckbags said:

Why are you shocked? He's not very good. And don't tell me he didn't get a chance. He played 30 games, doesn't play good in his own end, doesn't use his size, rarely showed any offensive skill etc... Is this a case of you overvaluing him because he's in our organization?. If the other 30 teams don't want him there is a pretty good reason for that. Maybe he can keep developing in GR and prove me and everyone else wrong but right now he's totally expendable. 

You can't just say they are mismanaged because they aren't very good. Sproul, Jurco etc.. are not NHL material. How big of a sample size do you want? Sproul played almost 30 games. That was plenty for most people to see he's not very good, or at least not worth trying to fit him into the lineup.  At this point he's probably 10th or 11th on the D depth chart. Won't even get a sniff at the NHL 

Coming out of junior, Sproul was the best defense prospect we've seen in years. He had a ton of potential and a ton of skill, so it's not just that he "isn't very good". So far he hasn't come close to reaching that potential but the skill is still there. He's a big, smooth skater defenseman with a great shot.

Countless players are waived and clear every year and go on to have successful NHL careers, so please don't use that as a reason Sproul "isn't very good". Most would consider one full season a small sample size, and you're trying to say 27 games is a large sample size? Not even close. Especially when you consider how well he played at the beginning of last season. He started with a goal and three assists, +1, in six games. Management and the coaching staff were happy with his play, and fans were ecstatic. I'd love to hear the 9 or 10 NHL-ready defenseman you'd put ahead of Sproul... "Won't even get a sniff at the NHL"? That's a rather bold statement...

31 minutes ago, puckbags said:

Sproul played almost 30 games but he was in and out of the line up constantly. How are you supposed to get into any kind of rhythm when you aren't constantly playing in every game? Also when you are struggling to stay in the line up your game can get away from you. You can try to do too much to impress or at the other end play to conservative to limit mistakes. If you're more focused on when you could get your next shot than on just playing your game things can go south quickly.

On 10/2/2017 at 11:01 AM, greenrebellion said:

Is it just me, or does this roster blow chunks on paper?  I think we are worse than last year.

Oh come on.  That's kind of harsh.  This team would beat the 1975 Capitals in 6 games.