• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

10/7 GDT: Red Wings 2, Ottawa Senators 1 (SO)

Rate this topic

Jimmy Howard won this game as well. Excellent in this one but was amazing in his first. I wonder what will happen once he's injuried because injuried he'll be, always been his problem.

Mrazek has been ok lately but not nearly what some of us hoped he could become. In my mind this team will be defined by how the crew go forward the day Howard goes down.

Until then let's just enjoy the show. I like seeing Zetterberg out there, he's like an old Buick cruising along at 5 miles/hour but still got the smarts to hold on to the puck. And still gets the respect/distance on the power play which is probably an error at least until he gets his groove back in 5-10 games.

8 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

It was all about Jimmy tonight!

Other observations:

I think we're playing better team defence this year. 

I hope WItkowski is a good face puncher because the only times he's been noticable is missing coverage or being slow. Just checked: Apparently he only played 4:36. Think we could give that spot to someone else if we had some cap space.

Witkowski's cap hit is $750K. Send him down and call up literally anyone and it would be an upgrade. Hell, just play Booth. I have no idea why Witkowski would ever be in the lineup over anyone. He's awful.

Ericsson, as has been mentioned, is awful as well. We just had to waive Sproul though... Sit / waive Ericsson and call up Hicketts or Sproul. 

Howard has been lights out in these two games. Keep it going Jimmy. This is the type of goaltending this team I see going to need until they get their defense figured out.

I know we're 2-0, but we could just as easily be 0-2 with less than stellar goaltending. We need to play our 18 best players every night. That does not include Witkowski or Ericsson. Smarten the f*** up Blashill...

I think the Wings are lucky being 2-0 as in the last game, 2 goals were called off and they were outshot. With the game against the  Sens, too many breakaways, goal posts, and were outshot again.

Wings need to tighten down on turnovers and keep the shots down. 

Edited by Rivalred

40 minutes ago, Rivalred said:

I think the Wings are lucky being 2-0 as in the last game, 2 goals were called off and they were outshot. With the game against the  Sens, too many breakaways, goal posts, and were outshot again.

Welcome to sports, where there is a chance of luck. We have missed a bunch of open nets, hit a few posts ourselves. That's the way it goes.

59 minutes ago, DatsyukianDekes said:

Welcome to sports, where there is a chance of luck. We have missed a bunch of open nets, hit a few posts ourselves. That's the way it goes.

Sure does. Tends to even out over a season though, and it's the long term result that matters anyhow. As long as we either totally suck or make the playoffs I'm all good. No just outside stuff. Either truly enjoy April or get a shot at Dahlin.

Edited by Jacksoni

1 hour ago, Rivalred said:

That’s why they pay big money for goaltending. They have there weaknesses so they need great goaltending. I don’t count on them outplaying the other team for 60 minutes with that lineup

33 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

That’s why they pay big money for goaltending. They have there weaknesses so they need great goaltending. I don’t count on them outplaying the other team for 60 minutes with that lineup

Maybe just maybe they realize that we have no superstar talent right now and therefore the boys know they have to play for a full 60 minutes. How many times in years past we would watch them go through the motions just waiting for their talent to win vs working hard?

That said I am not holding my breath on a playoff spot. 

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Witkowski's cap hit is $750K. Send him down and call up literally anyone and it would be an upgrade. Hell, just play Booth. I have no idea why Witkowski would ever be in the lineup over anyone. He's awful.

Ericsson, as has been mentioned, is awful as well. We just had to waive Sproul though... Sit / waive Ericsson and call up Hicketts or Sproul. 

Howard has been lights out in these two games. Keep it going Jimmy. This is the type of goaltending this team I see going to need until they get their defense figured out.

I know we're 2-0, but we could just as easily be 0-2 with less than stellar goaltending. We need to play our 18 best players every night. That does not include Witkowski or Ericsson. Smarten the f*** up Blashill...

Because he actually throws a bodycheck and isn't a wimp.  

1 minute ago, brett said:

yea im done with ericsson. hes solely responsible for the sens goal. couldve easily cleared the zone gave it right to him

howard isnt going to be able to keep this up all season

Except for getting Athanasiou back, if possible, the one change that could impact this team this fall would be to get Ericsson hurt and placed on LTIR while bringing up Hicketts.
He won't dramatically change this team by any means and might get shot down in heavy traffic but he would be an asset in the 3rd pairing and noticeably improve our offense especially moving the rubber out from our zone. Kid has a great eye for outlet passes and elite touch on the puck.
Kronwall thought he was their first round pick first he met him last year, should say something.

1 hour ago, brett said:

yea im done with ericsson. hes solely responsible for the sens goal. couldve easily cleared the zone gave it right to him

howard isnt going to be able to keep this up all season

I like Ozzie's post-game take on that sequence. Basically, if you're in Ericsson's position there, you do anything but what Ericsson did. Maybe you eat the puck along the boards. Maybe you deliberately ice the puck. You have some room to skate, so, at the very least, you should take a couple more steps forward before you act. Don't just throw that pass straight out of the corner. Not with two minutes left in a lock-down situation, with the opponent in wounded animal mode. You learn this stuff in peewee. It's basic.

Granted, it isn't entirely on Ericsson. Maybe Helm (?) could've done a better job of getting open, or maybe Helm (?) could've shouted to Ericsson to not force that pass. And it was definitely a fluky goal. But even so, Blashill should know better by now. Putting Ericsson out with two minutes left when we're trying to hold on to a lead is asking for trouble. Hell, we KNOW Blashill knows better, because Ericsson got very little icetime in Thursday's game, only playing about two and a half minutes in the third period of that game. Blashill himself is souring on Ericsson. That's the only positive I take out of giving up that goal -- that maybe it cements Ericsson as a liability in Blashill's mind.

As for Howard, he's absolutely the reason we're not 0-2 right now. Probably can't keep this up, but we don't really know. His recent injury history makes it difficult to assess how good he really is at this stage in his career. I mean, he's clearly really good, but can he sustain that level of play over, say, 50 starts?

Edited by Dabura

3 hours ago, Dabura said:

I like Ozzie's post-game take on that sequence. Basically, if you're in Ericsson's position there, you do anything but what Ericsson did. Maybe you eat the puck along the boards. Maybe you deliberately ice the puck. You have some room to skate, so, at the very least, you should take a couple more steps forward before you act. Don't just throw that pass straight out of the corner. Not with two minutes left in a lock-down situation, with the opponent in wounded animal mode. You learn this stuff in peewee. It's basic.

Granted, it isn't entirely on Ericsson. Maybe Helm (?) could've done a better job of getting open, or maybe Helm (?) could've shouted to Ericsson to not force that pass. And it was definitely a fluky goal. But even so, Blashill should know better by now. Putting Ericsson out with two minutes left when we're trying to hold on to a lead is asking for trouble. Hell, we KNOW Blashill knows better, because Ericsson got very little icetime in Thursday's game, only playing about two and a half minutes in the third period of that game. Blashill himself is souring on Ericsson. That's the only positive I take out of giving up that goal -- that maybe it cements Ericsson as a liability in Blashill's mind.

As for Howard, he's absolutely the reason we're not 0-2 right now. Probably can't keep this up, but we don't really know. His recent injury history makes it difficult to assess how good he really is at this stage in his career. I mean, he's clearly really good, but can he sustain that level of play over, say, 50 starts?

i didnt see post game. but ive played defense before. if you see no one open youre not supposed try to make an impossible pass to someone covered. flip it up and out to center ice. not hard. im not positive but i dont think ericsson was under pressure either

2 minutes ago, brett said:

i didnt see post game. but ive played defense before. if you see no one open youre not supposed try to make an impossible pass to someone covered. flip it up and out to center ice. not hard. im not positive but i dont think ericsson was under pressure either

I mean, Ozzie was diplomatic about it. Said Ericsson made a mistake and he knows it and he'll make up for it. But everyone knows it was a boneheaded decision, the kind you'd expect from a nervous rookie and not from a seasoned veteran, even if the seasoned veteran is a third-pairing "defensive defenseman."

I'm pretty sure Ericsson wasn't under pressure there. That's the worst part. He could've taken another three or four strides forward before committing to a course of action.

Could all be so easy...wave Ericsson, sign AA for two years at 2.2mil, call up one of Cholowski/Renouf/Sproul and we're good to go.

Oh, we would be, if we hadn't signed mediocre nonsense like Booth and Whathekowski, eating another 1.5Mil.

As if we hadn't wasted too much cap before...

Unbelievable. A guy with real talent and upside might end up in the Swiss League because our GM is as dumb as it gets...

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke

3 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Could all be so easy...wave Ericsson, sign AA for two years at 2.2mil, call up one of Cholowski/Renouf/Sproul and we're good to go.

Oh, we would be, if we hadn't signed mediocre nonsense like Booth and Whathekowski, eating another 1.5Mil.

As if we hadn't wasted too much cap before...

Unbelievable. A guy with real talent and upside might end up in the Swiss League because our GM is as dumb as it gets...

Sorry man, but two thirds of your post is wrong.

1) If we waive E, we still are on the hook for his caphit. Not "easy" like you claim. All waiving him does is free up a roster spot, which sure can be done, but would have nothing to do with cap like you are saying.

2) Booth has a 2-way contract, and is not blocking anybody. If he gets sent down, his contract has no effect on the cap. He is a guy who is paid to sit in the press box or play 4th line when we have injuries to other's. When Bertuzzi gets healthy I would imagine he takes Booth's spot on the 4th with Witkowski in the press box.

Speaking of, Witkowski does count against the cap, and to be honest I really didnt love that signing. Wont argue you on this one.

8 hours ago, kliq said:

Sorry man, but two thirds of your post is wrong.

1) If we waive E, we still are on the hook for his caphit. Not "easy" like you claim. All waiving him does is free up a roster spot, which sure can be done, but would have nothing to do with cap like you are saying.

2) Booth has a 2-way contract, and is not blocking anybody. If he gets sent down, his contract has no effect on the cap. He is a guy who is paid to sit in the press box or play 4th line when we have injuries to other's. When Bertuzzi gets healthy I would imagine he takes Booth's spot on the 4th with Witkowski in the press box.

Speaking of, Witkowski does count against the cap, and to be honest I really didnt love that signing. Wont argue you on this one.

Hmm, i just used CapFriendly on that one and they measure the CapHit of Ericsson after the buyout with 1,638,889 this year and $1,388,889 the following 5 years. Do I know for a fact if that is correct? Of course not. :D

What I know is, I would rather take the 6 year cap hit than 3 more years of watching this idiot...I have no idea how that contract could happen...

1 hour ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Hmm, i just used CapFriendly on that one and they measure the CapHit of Ericsson after the buyout with 1,638,889 this year and $1,388,889 the following 5 years. Do I know for a fact if that is correct? Of course not. :D

What I know is, I would rather take the 6 year cap hit than 3 more years of watching this idiot...I have no idea how that contract could happen...

Buyout is a different story, buyout and waivers are not the same thing.

If you really want to get rid of E, my opinion is that the best method would be to trade him with an asset and/or retain some salary.

1 hour ago, kliq said:

Buyout is a different story, buyout and waivers are not the same thing.

If you really want to get rid of E, my opinion is that the best method would be to trade him with an asset and/or retain some salary.

Whatever it takes...but having a) a great talent in AA walk AND b) not give playing time to one of our young D, just for Holland to not admit how bad that contract is, is just insane. I don't get ownership on that whole thing...i just don't...