Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

56 million to 15 players as of now.

RFA:

Sheahan, Larkin, Mantha, Frk, Athanasiou, Bertuzzi, Mrazek

UFA:

Green

You're the GM.  What do you do?

I like your question, but way too hard to answer right now as how this season plays out is a HUGE factor, especially with Larkin/Mantha.

Trade Sheahan for a pick and/or prospect. He's a good soldier, a former first-round pick, a friend to doggos everywhere...but he's devolved into a more vanilla Joakim Andersson.

Trade Howard or Mrazek. Don't really care which one.

I doubt Green will want to re-sign with us. If we can bring him back on a reasonable short-term deal, do it. If we can't, then we can't. Losing Green would probably leave us with the worst blue line in recent NHL history, but maybe that'd be a positive thing, as the sheer suckitude of the situation might actually force Holland to take some real action re: fixing our back end.

Assuming Frk has a "meh" season and isn't in a position to ask for a huge raise, re-sign him. Same with Bertuzzi, I guess.

I hope AA has an excellent season and we can afford to give him a big raise and that will be enough for him. Larkin and Mantha are higher on the totem pole and the main priority has to be re-signing them. If we have to trade AA, so be it. Maybe he'd get us a good defenseman.

Move Helm and/or Nielsen. Vegas? Arizona? (Abdelkader is untouchable and will spend his whole career with the Wings. I have accepted this.)

Compel Kronwall into LTIRetirement. (Ericsson is untouchable and will spend the rest of his career with the Wings. I have accepted this.)

Clear up the defense logjam. We don't need all of Sproul, Russo, Lashoff, Ouellet, Jensen in the system. Move out at least two of them.

Try and fail to woo Tavares. Sign a cheap backup goalie.

Do not sign Rick Nash. I fear Holland is going to try to sign Rick Nash. I hope he doesn't try to sign Rick Nash. He's probably going to sign Rick Nash. He's definitely going to sign Rick Nash.

Give Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Hicketts roster spots out of camp. And Bertuzzi, I guess.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

RFA:

UFA:

Green

I'm not sure how much each player will make, but I'd re-sign everyone (except Sheahan and Wilson). I'm hoping we can trade Green at the deadline, and if he keeps up this level of play (offensively), there's no reason he couldn't fetch us at the very least a 1st round pick. Which is kind of exciting to think what this team could do with two 1st's, two 2nd's and two 3rd's, (possibly even more) in the first 3 rounds. I'd re-sign Green in the off-season to a slight discount if he wanted to come back.

I'd trade both Nielsen and Ericsson, and trade for a top pair defenseman.

I'd also do whatever I can to get the 1st overall pick to draft Dahlin.

On 10/21/2017 at 12:52 AM, Dabura said:

Trade Sheahan for a pick and/or prospect. He's a good soldier, a former first-round pick, a friend to doggos everywhere...but he's devolved into a more vanilla Joakim Andersson.

Trade Howard or Mrazek. Don't really care which one.

I doubt Green will want to re-sign with us. If we can bring him back on a reasonable short-term deal, do it. If we can't, then we can't. Losing Green would probably leave us with the worst blue line in recent NHL history, but maybe that'd be a positive thing, as the sheer suckitude of the situation might actually force Holland to take some real action re: fixing our back end.

Assuming Frk has a "meh" season and isn't in a position to ask for a huge raise, re-sign him. Same with Bertuzzi, I guess.

I hope AA has an excellent season and we can afford to give him a big raise and that will be enough for him. Larkin and Mantha are higher on the totem pole and the main priority has to be re-signing them. If we have to trade AA, so be it. Maybe he'd get us a good defenseman.

Move Helm and/or Nielsen. Vegas? Arizona? (Abdelkader is untouchable and will spend his whole career with the Wings. I have accepted this.)

Compel Kronwall into LTIRetirement. (Ericsson is untouchable and will spend the rest of his career with the Wings. I have accepted this.)

Clear up the defense logjam. We don't need all of Sproul, Russo, Lashoff, Ouellet, Jensen in the system. Move out at least two of them.

Try and fail to woo Tavares. Sign a cheap backup goalie.

Do not sign Rick Nash. I fear Holland is going to try to sign Rick Nash. I hope he doesn't try to sign Rick Nash. He's probably going to sign Rick Nash. He's definitely going to sign Rick Nash.

Give Rasmussen, Svechnikov, Hicketts roster spots out of camp. And Bertuzzi, I guess.

It's like you're in his head, LOL. Nash can't wear 61 tho, so MAYBE he'll say no?

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not sure how much each player will make, but I'd re-sign everyone (except Sheahan and Wilson). I'm hoping we can trade Green at the deadline, and if he keeps up this level of play (offensively), there's no reason he couldn't fetch us at the very least a 1st round pick. Which is kind of exciting to think what this team could do with two 1st's, two 2nd's and two 3rd's, (possibly even more) in the first 3 rounds. I'd re-sign Green in the off-season to a slight discount if he wanted to come back.

I'd trade both Nielsen and Ericsson, and trade for a top pair defenseman.

I'd also do whatever I can to get the 1st overall pick to draft Dahlin.

Nielsen has a NMC so he will be on the roster next year. Ericsson's full NTC turns into a partial next year, so I suppose there's a chance he gets traded, like one in a million. (insert Lloyd Christmas meme here)

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

3 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

It's like you're in his head, LOL. Nash can't wear 61 tho, so MAYBE he'll say no?

Nielsen has a NMC so he will be on the roster next year. Ericsson's full NTC turns into a partial next year, so I suppose there's a chance he gets traded, like one in a million. (insert Lloyd Christmas meme here)

The OP said "You're the GM. What do "You" do?" Well that's what I'd do. Nielsen can list 10 teams he would not be willing to be traded to. That leaves 20 teams he could be traded to. I'd trade Ericsson in the offseason (retain salary). I'd also move one of the two goalies depending how this season goes.

On 10/20/2017 at 4:11 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

RFA:

UFA:

Green

Google search: "where do I buy cyanide capsules"

Seriously though... buyouts will have to be used.  Nobody will want Ericsson unless he's on LTIR, and at that point it would be more valuable to keep him.  Helm may be tradeable if the Wings retain salary.  Abdelkader not as much, but he won't be going anywhere if Holland or an internal replacement are in charge.  Maybe Nielsen will agree to a trade if the team isn't going anywhere.  Goaltending will be an interesting situation.  Basically, it ain't pretty.

Edited by joshy207
Incomplete answer

1 hour ago, joshy207 said:

Google search: "where do I buy cyanide capsules"

Seriously though... buyouts will have to be used.  Nobody will want Ericsson unless he's on LTIR, and at that point it would be more valuable to keep him.  Helm may be tradeable if the Wings retain salary.  Abdelkader not as much, but he won't be going anywhere if Holland or an internal replacement are in charge.  Maybe Nielsen will agree to a trade if the team isn't going anywhere.  Goaltending will be an interesting situation.  Basically, it ain't pretty.

No No No No No! 

You only buyout a player for 1 of 3 reasons.

1) You need to in order to sign your RFA's

2) You need to in order to sign a big time UFA (ie. A Stamkos/JT type)

3) You are a contender, and you feel the buyout can allow you to make some smaller moves which can be the difference in winning a cup.

When you are a team that is not in win-now mode, and are not in danger of losing building blocks, all a buyout does is handcuff you when it matters. We need to just suck up the cap hits now unless we can trade them, and then when the contracts expire and we are hopefully contenders, go from there.

I would ONLY buyout E if it was the only way to re-sign AA, Larkin, and Mantha, or the only way to sign JT. Otherwise, like I said I let it play out.

You really want to move E, trade him with a pick to a team with caproom (ie. Vegas).

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

The OP said "You're the GM. What do "You" do?" Well that's what I'd do. Nielsen can list 10 teams he would not be willing to be traded to. That leaves 20 teams he could be traded to. I'd trade Ericsson in the offseason (retain salary). I'd also move one of the two goalies depending how this season goes.

I can't help myself. I like bubble bursting sometimes.=-) I would love to trade Ericsson too, but as you said will most likely require salary retention. And the idea of more dead cap space just makes me cringe.

My apologies on Nielsen, I thought the modified NMC kicked in after year 3, but it starts next season (Oops). I liked the Nielsen signing at the time because I thought a 2C was necessary due to losing Datsyuk, a declining Z, a not ready for primetime Larkin, and no real 1C/2C options in the pipeline. But Z has exceeded my expectations and Larkin is developing at center. Now it seems Rasmussen might be ready to go before Nielsen's contract is up and in time to replace Z, so I'm open to trading him now. $20 mil left for 4 years for a 34 year old 3C (as he's being used) is going to be tough to trade though. Cuz you know trades are hard ( I kid, I kid).

I would be ecstatic if Green can fetch a 1st rounder at the deadline. Would still like to have him back for less money and shorter term.

Hypothetical question: if the Wings do manage to score another 1st rounder, how does everyone feel about packaging both picks to move up into the top 2? (I'm assuming that the 2 picks would be 8-12ish and 24-30ish.) How much would you be willing to add, if anything?

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

7 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Image result for you mean there's a chance meme

4 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I can't help myself. I like bubble bursting sometimes.=-) I would love to trade Ericsson too, but as you said will most likely require salary retention. And the idea of more dead cap space just makes me cringe.

My apologies on Nielsen, I thought the modified NMC kicked in after year 3, but it starts next season (Oops). I liked the Nielsen signing at the time because I thought a 2C was necessary due to losing Datsyuk, a declining Z, a not ready for primetime Larkin, and no real 1C/2C options in the pipeline. But Z has exceeded my expectations and Larkin is developing at center. Now it seems Rasmussen might be ready to go before Nielsen's contract is up and in time to replace Z, so I'm open to trading him now. $20 mil left for 4 years for a 34 year old 3C (as he's being used) is going to be tough to trade though. Cuz you know trades are hard ( I kid, I kid).

I would be ecstatic if Green can fetch a 1st rounder at the deadline. Would still like to have him back for less money and shorter term.

Hypothetical question: if the Wings do manage to score another 1st rounder, how does everyone feel about packaging both picks to move up into the top 2? (I'm assuming that the 2 picks would be 8-12ish and 24-30ish.) How much would you be willing to add, if anything?

In regards to your last paragraph, not targeting you on purpose, I hear this idea every year from someone different. How often do packaging late round 1sts for high first round picks actually happen? Its very rare. This is not something we can count on.  Late first rounders often end up like Brendan Smith, Riley Sheahan, Jakub Kindl, and McCollum. High first rounders have a lot more value, which makes trading for them extremely diffucult.

8 hours ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

We could have Ericsson for another two seasons (after this season) at $4.25M per, or we can trade him, retain $2M, and call up Hicketts, who has a cap hit for one season (after this season) at $635K. I don't know about you, but I'd take Hicketts on this roster at $2.635M over Ericsson at $4.25M... We save over $1.5M in cap space and improve our team. It's a win-win in my book.

I never did love the Nielsen signing, but it's very clear that he needs to be moved now, with like you said, Zetterberg's play and Larkin's development. And like Ericsson, Nielsen can be moved, it just may take some creativity and gusto to get the deal done... Something I don't have confidence in Holland doing / having...

IF Green continues close to his current level of production, he should fetch us a 1st at the very least. And I'd be all up for moving up in the draft, depending on what two picks we end up with, how far we could move up, and who would be available. Of course, I don't think we'll have to move up because we're going to win the draft lottery (1st overall)!!!

4 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

In regards to your last paragraph, not targeting you on purpose, I hear this idea every year from someone different. How often do packaging late round 1sts for high first round picks actually happen? Its very rare. This is not something we can count on.  Late first rounders often end up like Brendan Smith, Riley Sheahan, Jakub Kindl, and McCollum. High first rounders have a lot more value, which makes trading for them extremely diffucult.

Who said anything about a late 1st? We will likely end up anywhere between 3-12 if we're looking to move up. I'm sure if we ended up with say the 4th or 5th overall, as well as 20th overall, teams would entertain the idea of trading a top 2-3 pick. I'm not sure if I'd do it, but I'd consider it, depending on who's available.

6 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

We could have Ericsson for another two seasons (after this season) at $4.25M per, or we can trade him, retain $2M, and call up Hicketts, who has a cap hit for one season (after this season) at $635K. I don't know about you, but I'd take Hicketts on this roster at $2.635M over Ericsson at $4.25M... We save over $1.5M in cap space and improve our team. It's a win-win in my book.

I never did love the Nielsen signing, but it's very clear that he needs to be moved now, with like you said, Zetterberg's play and Larkin's development. And like Ericsson, Nielsen can be moved, it just may take some creativity and gusto to get the deal done... Something I don't have confidence in Holland doing / having...

IF Green continues close to his current level of production, he should fetch us a 1st at the very least. And I'd be all up for moving up in the draft, depending on what two picks we end up with, how far we could move up, and who would be available. Of course, I don't think we'll have to move up because we're going to win the draft lottery (1st overall)!!!

Who said anything about a late 1st? We will likely end up anywhere between 3-12 if we're looking to move up. I'm sure if we ended up with say the 4th or 5th overall, as well as 20th overall, teams would entertain the idea of trading a top 2-3 pick. I'm not sure if I'd do it, but I'd consider it, depending on who's available.

Late 1st, middle of the round, whatever you want to call it, fans of every team talk about trading up every year. Just pointing out that it very rarely actually happens. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:11 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

RFA:

UFA:

Green

Just on the surface, this is an ideal situation:

Of course Sheahan has already been dealt with, but Wilson is also an RFA, so we can put him in there.

Wilson - Qualify him and negotiate from there. Hope to avoid Arbitration.

Larkin - Same as above, hope to be a bridge deal for less than $3M

Mantha - Same as Larkin.

Frk - Same, but he should cost $1M or less.

Bertuzzi won't cost too much, around $900k?

AA is the X-Factor. He signed this small 1 year deal and will be arbitration eligible next summer. He could fetch upwards of $5M if he scores like we hope he does. His contract could put a damper on our $12M available.

I still believe (if we cannot dump E) the best case to clear cap is to trade one of Tatar/Nyquist to a Cup contender this deadline as well. We could get a third 2nd rounder or maybe even another 1st! Could you imagine having THREE 1st round picks in this draft? 

I trade Mrazek (or Howard) for what I can get. No way am I paying Mrazek any more than what he makes now and still have Howard. We NEED that Cap to pay others. If Howard is dealt then Mrazek can get a raise to Howie money.

I trade Green at the deadline to a contender for a 1st (unless he poops himself by then, but right now his value is rising.) Then if he is interested, try to re-sign him July. BUT, if he nets 40-50 points this season, he may cost more than what I'd like to spend on him. Maybe it'll be best to get the 1st and thank him for his service. TWO 1st's, 2nd's and 3rd's sounds awesome for this draft!

It would be great to trade Mrazek to Vegas (as some have suggested in the other thread) but both Fluery and Subban don't seem to be expected to miss much more than a month. If come Nov. or Dec. they still aren't healthy, I'd be calling them to see if there is any interest!

22 hours ago, kliq said:

No No No No No! 

You only buyout a player for 1 of 3 reasons.

1) You need to in order to sign your RFA's

2) You need to in order to sign a big time UFA (ie. A Stamkos/JT type)

3) You are a contender, and you feel the buyout can allow you to make some smaller moves which can be the difference in winning a cup.

When you are a team that is not in win-now mode, and are not in danger of losing building blocks, all a buyout does is handcuff you when it matters. We need to just suck up the cap hits now unless we can trade them, and then when the contracts expire and we are hopefully contenders, go from there.

I would ONLY buyout E if it was the only way to re-sign AA, Larkin, and Mantha, or the only way to sign JT. Otherwise, like I said I let it play out.

You really want to move E, trade him with a pick to a team with caproom (ie. Vegas).

If you are ANY other NHL GM, do you trade FOR Jonathan Ericsson?

If he remains healthy, the only way to get rid of him is to buy him out.  Damn the lower, longer cap hit, that's easier to live with.

8 minutes ago, joshy207 said:

If you are ANY other NHL GM, do you trade FOR Jonathan Ericsson?

If he remains healthy, the only way to get rid of him is to buy him out.  Damn the lower, longer cap hit, that's easier to live with.

Ya I do, if winning now means nothing, cap is not an issue, and I'm obtaining an asset, why wouldnt I. Las Vegas did this with many players at the expansion draft.

Also, I think E gets way to much crap around here. Is he worth 4+ a year, of course not. If we offered him too someone and retained 3mil, I think we could easily trade him. On the right team in the right role, he is a fine player. Nobody would bat an eye if he was on a contender getting paid 1mil playing on the third pair or playing as the 7th D-man.

9 minutes ago, kliq said:

Ya I do, if winning now means nothing, cap is not an issue, and I'm obtaining an asset, why wouldnt I. Las Vegas did this with many players at the expansion draft.

Also, I think E gets way to much crap around here. Is he worth 4+ a year, of course not. If we offered him too someone and retained 3mil, I think we could easily trade him. On the right team in the right role, he is a fine player. Nobody would bat an eye if he was on a contender getting paid 1mil playing on the third pair or playing as the 7th D-man.

There's our main difference, I don't consider Ericsson to be much of an asset, lol.

You can only retain up to 50% of a player's salary, so I'd rather have the $1.4M cap hit for buying him out.

Just now, joshy207 said:

There's our main difference, I don't consider Ericsson to be much of an asset, lol.

You can only retain up to 50% of a player's salary, so I'd rather have the $1.4M cap hit for buying him out.

If that is true then, pretend I said retain 50% rather then 75%.

Remember, you are watching him on a mediocre team playing in the top 4 against top level guys. Lets say he was on Nashville playing on their bottom pairing against 3rd/4th lines, he would appear to be much better.

I hate buyouts because then there is a cap hit for 6 years, so when it matters we are going to be hindered. Who cares right now.

18 minutes ago, kliq said:

I agree completely, and it really irritates the s*** out of me that people still think there is such thing as an "untradeable player" or "immovable contract". They don't exist in the NHL. One thing though, I'm pretty sure the max retainable on a contract is 50%, making $2.125M the max we'd be able to retain on Ericsson's contract. 

On 10/20/2017 at 4:11 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

RFA:

UFA:

Green

Not sure where you're coming up with $56 million for 15 players? Salary cap is $75 million and we've slightly less then $13 million to sign 8 players with no salary increase. that would be more like $62 million with 15 players signed unless you're including Kronwall possibly going onto LTIR his last year which is possible. Any ways it's to early to tell what management is going to do.

11 minutes ago, LoveMyRedWings56 said:

Not sure where you're coming up with $56 million for 15 players? Salary cap is $75 million and we've slightly less then $13 million to sign 8 players with no salary increase. that would be more like $62 million with 15 players signed unless you're including Kronwall possibly going onto LTIR his last year which is possible. Any ways it's to early to tell what management is going to do.

Its a little shy of 57 mil + 1.67 mil for Weiss buyout, not including Franzen LTIR.

Cap is 75 mil for now.

Go from there.

And the question is what do YOU do.

On 10/24/2017 at 12:46 AM, Hey man nice shot! said:

Image result for you mean there's a chance meme

there it is!

On 10/24/2017 at 4:04 AM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Agreed its rare, in the NHL at least, but not implausible. There's always a chance. See above.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:02 AM, krsmith17 said:

1st bold: A very logical, well thought out idea that I hadn't even considered. I like it. Really thought that we would be stuck with him for 3 more years, but you've proven that it can be done without a buyout, including picks/prospects to trade him away, or eating cap space. Well done.

2nd bold: Its supposed to be a deep draft this year, so if another team in that 2-4 range sees a couple guys they like left on the board I think they would do it. But would Holland?