• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jonas Mahonas

2018-19

Rate this topic

See if this is the case, I dont even see the point in Holland stepping down as it doesn't make sense.

If Holland is still going to make all the decisions, he is essentially putting himself in a position where he is doing all the work and if the team falters will suffer all the blame, but if the team turns in around will likely get none of the credit.

I highly doubt Holland is not GM in a year from now unless Stevie comes back to town.

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

See if this is the case, I dont even see the point in Holland stepping down as it doesn't make sense.

If Holland is still going to make all the decisions, he is essentially putting himself in a position where he is doing all the work and if the team falters will suffer all the blame, but if the team turns in around will likely get none of the credit.

I highly doubt Holland is not GM in a year from now unless Stevie comes back to town.

I'm a little more optimistic than that... ;)

Didn't know where else to put this as I didn't think it deserved its own thread. The jerseys/sweaters for the 2018 Olympic teams have been released and they are awful. They look like the sweat shop thought they were making soccer jerseys, then discovered their error and just attached some sleeves they had laying around that were leftover from superhero Halloween costumes. The crest for the Canadian one looks like a dollar store holiday decoration. Nike really messed up.59fbb4e55f470_images(1).jpg.8fe85fb63eadde00b89a0b91feb23746.jpgimages.jpg.1d820dd8518ec9101b231b76be181b5f.jpg

Both the US and Canada have iconic jerseys, why mess with that?

15 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Didn't know where else to put this as I didn't think it deserved its own thread. The jerseys/sweaters for the 2018 Olympic teams have been released and they are awful. They look like the sweat shop thought they were making soccer jerseys, then discovered their error and just attached some sleeves they had laying around that were leftover from superhero Halloween costumes. The crest for the Canadian one looks like a dollar store holiday decoration. Nike really messed up.59fbb4e55f470_images(1).jpg.8fe85fb63eadde00b89a0b91feb23746.jpgimages.jpg.1d820dd8518ec9101b231b76be181b5f.jpg

Both the US and Canada have iconic jerseys, why mess with that?

What iconic jerseys? They literally change and are redesigned every Olympics. 

I like the Canadian ones. Those American ones are horrible.

7 minutes ago, Son of a Wing said:

What iconic jerseys? They literally change and are redesigned every Olympics. 

I like the Canadian ones. Those American ones are horrible.

Yes, but not to this degree. It's like they are trying to reinvent the wheel. American jerseys, from what I recall,  have just had USA on the front and stars and/or stripes on the sleeves. And horizontal stripes around the waist. They added a soccer style crest to the front and whatever that is down the sleeves. Yikes. No horizontal stripes here, these are just solid colors.

As for the Canada jersey, I always liked the traditional Toronto Maple Leafs logo style on those. They tried to make it 3D here for some reason. I also don't remember that much black on Team Canada jerseys in the past, just the pants? 59fbbd563eade_images(2).jpg.a68a09ed7aecd78b7527a0c1f19ae635.jpg59fbbd58dddf1_images(3).jpg.e9660d4e7ccf73882776eed0f09ff33e.jpg

2 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yes, but not to this degree. It's like they are trying to reinvent the wheel. American jerseys, from what I recall,  have just had USA on the front and stars and/or stripes on the sleeves. And horizontal stripes around the waist. They added a soccer style crest to the front and whatever that is down the sleeves. Yikes. No horizontal stripes here, these are just solid colors.

As for the Canada jersey, I always liked the traditional Toronto Maple Leafs logo style on those. They tried to make it 3D here for some reason. I also don't remember that much black on Team Canada jerseys in the past, just the pants? 59fbbd563eade_images(2).jpg.a68a09ed7aecd78b7527a0c1f19ae635.jpg59fbbd58dddf1_images(3).jpg.e9660d4e7ccf73882776eed0f09ff33e.jpg

Screen-Shot-2013-10-08-at-9.35.25-AM.pngusa1998.jpg

Also the American crest isnt a soccer style crest. It's actually based on the original jerseys from the 20s or 30s. It's the original.

usa1932team.jpg

I do agree though. I like the maple leaf on the front of Canada and the USA letters on the Americans.

On 10/30/2017 at 8:12 PM, kliq said:

If its not just cap space and you want the spot, send him to the minors. You don't need to buy him out to free up a roster spot.

I would like to see Hicketts up sooner then later on the big club, I'm not too worried about Russo and Renouf, I dont watch the AHL but I'm pretty sure I've read that they project to be 3rd pairing guys at best. @krsmith17 do either of these two have a chance at being top 4 guys?

I want the cap space AND the roster spot.  Sending him to GR only frees up somewhere around $950K.  Enough to bring up Hicketts, yes, but nothing more than that.  Buyout and trade are better options IMO.

1 hour ago, joshy207 said:

I want the cap space AND the roster spot.  Sending him to GR only frees up somewhere around $950K.  Enough to bring up Hicketts, yes, but nothing more than that.  Buyout and trade are better options IMO.

Again, I see your point with the roster spot, but I fail to see the logic in hurting us down the road to help us now with the buyout.

Buyout for Ericsson is a horrible idea.

He’s really not that bad lol.

If we’re worried about roster spot there’s other options.

Trade Green, send down Jensen, trade XO, buyout or LTIR Kronwall

Buying out Ericsson would be the worst of the options. It handicaps the team really bad.

Buying out Kronwall is probably better

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

WTF is the reason for all this hating on XO and Jensen? I don't get it. They are solid given the NHL time they've seen so far. Our problems at D are E and Kronner, who are both a) bad and b) blocking a spot Hickets should already have.

Who is "hating" on them?

13 minutes ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

You just said, you want to send one of them to the minors and trade the other, what else is that?

That’s assuming we absolutely have to make a spot available and there’s no other option. Not because they’re “bad”

And I think you can agree that Holland will likely do that than buy out Ericsson and handicap the team for 5 years or whatever. 

XO is a 5/6 defenseman, Holland (or really any GM) likely would rather trade their 3rd pairing defenseman than buy out Ericsson if he needed a spot to open up.

Edited by kickazz

What is Hicketts tho? I admit I havent seen much of him, so I dont know. Is he going to be a 2nd pair guy or another 3rd pair guy? I know he's smallish, so can he really hold up to the NHL grind for an almost full season? Or would it be better to bring him up later in the season when he'll have fewer games to play.

If he's gonna be a solid 2nd pair guy, is he better than Green, Daley, DD, Ericsson or Kronwall are now to take their spot and minutes? If so, bring him up later this season when injuries open up a spot, or after Green is traded. If not, then it might be better to keep him in GR.

If he's a 3rd pair guy, then its Jensen and XO that are keeping him off the roster and getting rid of a top 4 guy would be pointless. Holland would never put E or Kronner on waivers anyway.

My guess is, the Wings trade Green at the deadline and then bring up Hicketts so that he gets a sampling of the NHL without rubbing him down like a pencil eraser.

19 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

XO and Jensen are worthless. They dont move the needle one inch. Neither would make a good NHL defense.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

What is Hicketts tho? I admit I havent seen much of him, so I dont know. Is he going to be a 2nd pair guy or another 3rd pair guy? I know he's smallish, so can he really hold up to the NHL grind for an almost full season? Or would it be better to bring him up later in the season when he'll have fewer games to play.

If he's gonna be a solid 2nd pair guy, is he better than Green, Daley, DD, Ericsson or Kronwall are now to take their spot and minutes? If so, bring him up later this season when injuries open up a spot, or after Green is traded. If not, then it might be better to keep him in GR.

If he's a 3rd pair guy, then its Jensen and XO that are keeping him off the roster and getting rid of a top 4 guy would be pointless. Holland would never put E or Kronner on waivers anyway.

My guess is, the Wings trade Green at the deadline and then bring up Hicketts so that he gets a sampling of the NHL without rubbing him down like a pencil eraser.

We don't truly know yet.  

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

I haven't seen much of him, but from what I read he has the upside of a Torey Krug. Similar type of player. Not saying he will become that, but that is what he could become if everything clicks.

Edited by kliq

18 hours ago, kliq said:

Again, I see your point with the roster spot, but I fail to see the logic in hurting us down the road to help us now with the buyout.

I don't think the buyout hit will hurt as long as it's part of a bigger rebuild/retool/whatever you want to call it.  For me, that includes trading one of Helm or Nielsen, one of Tatar or Nyquist, and one of Howard or Mrazek.  The payroll cut by moving those players would more than offset the cost of buying out Ericsson, and it allows for re-signing Mantha, Larkin, Athanasiou, and still gives them some flexibility.

18 hours ago, kickazz said:

Buying out Ericsson would be the worst of the options. It handicaps the team really bad.

I think he is that bad.

I fully expect Green to be traded before the deadline.  Jensen and Ouellet are cheap and serviceable, moving them doesn't accomplish anything unless there is a better option for the 3rd pairing.

Kronwall's contract expires after next year.  If he's not healthy enough to play, he goes on LTIR.  If he can play, they can use him more sparingly and deal with the cap hit for one year.  Buying him out only saves about $1.15M, not worth it.

14 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Has MSU produced anyone even near the level of Torey Krug recently?

No, State hasn't been good for a few years now.

19 hours ago, kickazz said:

Putting Jensen on waivers to send him down makes zero sense, And Holland seems to like Ouellet so i doubt that happens. And you're really serious about buying out Kronwall? You know that Holland would never do that. Any ways it's possible that Kronwall retires in his last full season so no reason to buy him out period. Green will be dealt for the right price here at the TDL.

17 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

XO and Jensen are worthless. They dont move the needle one inch. Neither would make a good NHL defense.

XO and Jensen are cheap bottom pairing D men and the Wings need to rebuild here, So trading them makes absolutely zero sense.

Edited by LoveMyRedWings56